Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

2011 tax assessment audit reaudit

2011 tax assessment audit reaudit

Old Dec 10th 2014, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2011 tax assessment audit reaudit

I got a letter from the ATO this year about my 2011 tax return being incorrect. They claim that I claimed twice for private health insurance rebate. I disagreed. My understanding was that in 2011, the rebate was claimed at the time of the tax return lodgement. After that, it was done by the insurance company at the time of payment.

Anyway, I just received an email from ATO telling me that this was challenged in federal court by someone and they won, hence I am now entitled to a refund of what I had to pay back this year. If that makes any sense.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same from the ATO regarding 2011 and whether I was right I thinking that the rebate was handled at the tax return stage.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 tax assessment audit reaudit

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I got a letter from the ATO this year about my 2011 tax return being incorrect. They claim that I claimed twice for private health insurance rebate. I disagreed. My understanding was that in 2011, the rebate was claimed at the time of the tax return lodgement. After that, it was done by the insurance company at the time of payment.

Anyway, I just received an email from ATO telling me that this was challenged in federal court by someone and they won, hence I am now entitled to a refund of what I had to pay back this year. If that makes any sense.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same from the ATO regarding 2011 and whether I was right I thinking that the rebate was handled at the tax return stage.
Throw them an invoice for the time they've cost you.