Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Flooding now hits Victoria...

Flooding now hits Victoria...

Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

MissyB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flooding now hits Victoria...

Some parts of Victoria are also getting flash floods... Including tourist areas of Halls Gap/Grampians and also parts of the Great Ocean Road.

Also some strong winds on the way for Melbourne!

http://www.theage.com.au/environment...113-19pu7.html
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flooding now hits Victoria...

Originally Posted by MissyB
Some parts of Victoria are also getting flash floods... Including tourist areas of Halls Gap/Grampians and also parts of the Great Ocean Road.

Also some strong winds on the way for Melbourne!

http://www.theage.com.au/environment...113-19pu7.html
all of Victoria got some, except Gippsland by the sounds of it. We had 3 inches yesterday (only expect 17 in a whole year normally!) and 2 inches of that fell in the space of a couple of hours.

It's a weird weather year, that's for sure. Hope everyone keeps safe.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

208mm (8 and 1/3 inches) here since Sunday. The January average is only 55mm and there is still over a a fortnight to go. Most of the rain fell in the last three days.

The amount of water flowing through the creeks and even smaller drainage lines is extraordinary. I am in a hilly/mountainous area not far from Melbourne so we don't have major flood issues but we have certainly had some issues with flash flooding.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Well. Major flaming Poo. We've had it with the earthquakes in Xch and the Pike Mine disaster here in NZ.

....and now the weather wants to make it all worse across Australia .

I'm just so sorry for all the extreme tragedy, loss and mess.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:44 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

stay safe down there. No need to tell you to watch the warnings and register for SES alerts, you're probably already doing that.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
stay safe down there. No need to tell you to watch the warnings and register for SES alerts, you're probably already doing that.
Can't register for Emergency Alert - nor can you opt out. If your phone is registered in the target area you get the messages automatically.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:32 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a lot of Western Victoria is in trouble now. I've heard that people affected are a bit miffed at the lack of coverage owing to QLD.

Our lecco went off earlier, just as I was nodding off and everything with a beep went beep lol.

It's back on now hence I'm here. Our river is up but not encroaching on buildings yet (nor very likely to).

North and North West of the state are worst hit but also places on the Ballarat-Hamilton road.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

stacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant future

omg ive not seen anything over here in england about Victoria got a bit of QLD and mainly Brazil but so far not heard about Melbournes hope it doesnt get any worse for everyone , were having unusually mild weather at mo for the time of year ,, very wierd !
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a list of towns at risk in Victoria? I saw on the news this morning that Echuca is being warned. I have an elderly aunt whose house in right on the Murray river a bit further downstream at Tocumwal.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather
Is there a list of towns at risk in Victoria? I saw on the news this morning that Echuca is being warned. I have an elderly aunt whose house in right on the Murray river a bit further downstream at Tocumwal.
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDV36900.txt

Tocumwal river height gets a mention at the bottom but not mentioned in the warnings specifically.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I'll be able to keep an eye. I don't actually want to ring her because I don't speak to her too often and I don't want my contact to make her panic. She is in her 80s
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:29 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can't register for Emergency Alert - nor can you opt out. If your phone is registered in the target area you get the messages automatically.
What if you only have a mobile, or naked broadband, and don't have a fixed phone line?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
What if you only have a mobile, or naked broadband, and don't have a fixed phone line?
The mobile will get a text message, BUT telstra say they cannot yet target mobiles by their location, its all done via the database that stores the registered address - usually whatever address you gave when buying the SIM card. So if you've moved you will get the warnings for your old area, unless you phone your mobile provider and change your address with them.
They are working on changing it so it will target mobiles actually IN the area at the time, but that'll be at least a few months yet. Its not a perfect system but its better than nothing.

I know nothing about naked broadband so can't help you there I'm afraid. Can you run phones off it?

The FAQ page is here - http://www.emergencyalert.gov.au/fre...questions.html - might help a bit.