British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Flood Assistance - NO Help for Temporary Residents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/flood-assistance-no-help-temporary-residents-702390/)

Buzzy--Bee Jan 14th 2011 6:39 pm

Certain visa classes may not be elegible for flood relief payments

It seems that many or all people on temporary visas may not be elegible to receive any of the flood relief payments.

I'm trying to chase down the details of exactly who. There is some discussions as to whether New Zealanders who arrived after Feb 26 2001 and are therefore temporary residents would be excluded from payments.

I suspect when it eventually shakes out, anyone who is not elegible for centrelink payments will not receive the flood relief payments.

BB

moneypenny20 Jan 15th 2011 12:59 am

Re: Certain visa classes may not be elegible for flood relief payments

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9101842)
It seems that many or all people on temporary visas may not be elegible to receive any of the flood relief payments.

I'm trying to chase down the details of exactly who. There is some discussions as to whether New Zealanders who arrived after Feb 26 2001 and are therefore temporary residents would be excluded from payments.

I suspect when it eventually shakes out, anyone who is not elegible for centrelink payments will not receive the flood relief payments.

BB

It kind of makes sense in one way. After all the money has to stop somewhere, right?:unsure:

Expat Kiwi Jan 16th 2011 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9101842)

BB

Where did you get this information from? I'm tempted to treat it with skepticism until I see some hard facts

I looked at the Centrelink web site and it says Queensland residents will get payments, there's nothing about them having to be permanent residents.

Buzzy--Bee Jan 16th 2011 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9104412)
Where did you get this information from? I'm tempted to treat it with skepticism until I see some hard facts

It was an article in the NZ press. I suspect it was at least partly right, I mean, they're unlikely to make payments to working holiday makers for instance, so the line will be drawn somewhere.

BB

Expat Kiwi Jan 17th 2011 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9106016)
It was an article in the NZ press

That explains it.

Yeah you're probably right about holiday workers and lines being drawn.

Although it doesn't apply to me (I already have Australian PR) it could leave a lot of Kiwis in very dire straits. It may come down to how resident is defined.

Buzzy--Bee Jan 17th 2011 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9106946)
That explains it.

Yeah you're probably right about holiday workers and lines being drawn.

Although it doesn't apply to me (I already have Australian PR) it could leave a lot of Kiwis in very dire straits. It may come down to how resident is defined.

I reckon it might be defined by whether you are elegible for certain centrelink payments at the moment.

Either that or TR vs PR visa status.

BB

miles101 Jan 26th 2011 9:55 am

Flood Assistance - NO Help for Temporary Residents

I am a temporary resident living in Brisbane on a 457 visa who was affected by the recent floods. I tried to apply for the flood assistance grant however was told that only permanent residents and citizens are eligible!
Yet I hear stories of these people abusing the system claiming money when all they lost was power for 48 hours - what a joke!
Can anyone tell me if there is someone temporary residents can contact for help???
Thanks!!

Pollyana Jan 26th 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Flood Assistance - NO Help for Temporary Residents

Originally Posted by miles101 (Post 9129700)
I am a temporary resident living in Brisbane on a 457 visa who was affected by the recent floods. I tried to apply for the flood assistance grant however was told that only permanent residents and citizens are eligible!
Yet I hear stories of these people abusing the system claiming money when all they lost was power for 48 hours - what a joke!
Can anyone tell me if there is someone temporary residents can contact for help???
Thanks!!

Think you'd need to try Centrelink, though I'm not sure how far you'll get. The other two places worth a go are the Dept of Communities, and the Red Cross.
Good luck :fingerscrossed:

Pollyana Jan 26th 2011 12:36 pm

Threads merged - seems you were right, Buzzzy.

miles101 Jan 26th 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9130040)
Think you'd need to try Centrelink, though I'm not sure how far you'll get. The other two places worth a go are the Dept of Communities, and the Red Cross.
Good luck :fingerscrossed:

Thanks. I did try Centrelink and they were the ones who told us we aren't eligible! I understand the money has to stop somewhere, but we aren't working holiday makers we have been sponsored to come here. We pay our taxes like everyone else and we had planned on becoming PR once out 4 years was up. Temporary or Permanent - surely were all residents!

Pollyana Jan 26th 2011 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by miles101 (Post 9131069)
Thanks. I did try Centrelink and they were the ones who told us we aren't eligible! I understand the money has to stop somewhere, but we aren't working holiday makers we have been sponsored to come here. We pay our taxes like everyone else and we had planned on becoming PR once out 4 years was up. Temporary or Permanent - surely were all residents!

I totally agree, specially as I spent several years as a temp resident myself. I would try Communities and Red Cross too, just in case there is any way you are entitled to anything from them, though I'm not promising anything.......

Buzzy--Bee Jan 26th 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by miles101 (Post 9131069)
Thanks. I did try Centrelink and they were the ones who told us we aren't eligible! I understand the money has to stop somewhere, but we aren't working holiday makers we have been sponsored to come here.

I would suggest that sponsoring employers might have some legal or moral liability in this case.

BB

IvanM Jan 27th 2011 10:32 pm

I would suggest there is a moral obligation for these people full stop considering what they give to the economy.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9131234)
I would suggest that sponsoring employers might have some legal or moral liability in this case.

BB

Expat Kiwi Jan 28th 2011 6:21 am

I know one of the Kiwis in Brisbane who was quoted in the New Zealand Herald as saying that the floods had cost him dearly because he couldn't access his third floor apartment.

Arrogant **** thinks the world owes him a living and is sleeping on a mate's floor for a few days, how is that costing him a fortune? If he gets that thousand bucks it'll be going straight into his pocket.

Some are going to milk the system for all its worth and give those who are really in need a very bad name :sneaky:.

The Bloke Jan 30th 2011 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9134792)
I know one of the Kiwis in Brisbane who was quoted in the New Zealand Herald as saying that the floods had cost him dearly because he couldn't access his third floor apartment.

Arrogant **** thinks the world owes him a living and is sleeping on a mate's floor for a few days, how is that costing him a fortune? If he gets that thousand bucks it'll be going straight into his pocket.

Some are going to milk the system for all its worth and give those who are really in need a very bad name :sneaky:.

Unfortunately it is not only some Kiwi's that will rort the system. I was told of a pensioner that lived in one town all his life claiming compo becacuse he couldn't access one particular town for his shopping....he seemed to forget there were other towns in the area that he could access.......:rolleyes:.
Apparently still got the money.....