Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA/ BRISBANE FLOODING

FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA/ BRISBANE FLOODING

Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:48 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...o-says-walker/

read this in the Sunshine coast daily!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75

Its possible.....a subject much discussed overnight at work
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:54 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75

Yeh, they said it would be an active cyclone season a few months ago ... nothing imminent though and these things cannot be predicted accurately so we can only deal with what is on our plates at the moment

At the moment our power has just come back so I'd like to thank the Energex dudes for being efficient
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:18 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Im hoping it is wrong, I think the last thing you all need now is Cyclones

Stay safe people!

any one know if the family on the white car were rescued or that poor man in the tree!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:38 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Dam levels updated:

http://www.seqwater.com.au/public/dam-levels

Wivenhoe: 176%
Somerset: 161%
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Wivenhoe 175.9% now.

edit
Bc beat me to it
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

press confrence on now, some very worried looking faces
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:47 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Dam levels updated:

http://www.seqwater.com.au/public/dam-levels

Wivenhoe: 176%
Somerset: 161%
Interesting site, hadn't seen that before ... the picture of the 'recreation area' of Somerset Dam on the home page shows how full it is
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Is this the first major test for Wivenhoe or has it been this high before?

As I understand 200% is it's actual design capacity?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:49 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
225% is it's supply + flood capacity I think.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know about design capacity but they have just said they have now increased the spill into the Brisbane river.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:51 pm
Mostly Harmless

The historic graph dating back to 94 shows this is easily the highest it's been (opened in 84).

From the site:
--------------------
During a flood situation, Wivenhoe Dam is designed to hold back a further 1.45 million megalitres as well as its normal storage capacity of 1.15 million megalitres. Floods may still occur in the Ipswich and Brisbane areas but they will be rarer in occurrence. Wivenhoe’s flood control facility, together with the existing flood mitigation effect of Somerset Dam, will substantially reduce the heights of relatively small floods.
------------------------
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Girlfriend works in Riverside and they've been told to vacate the underground car park this morning.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:16 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I am embarrassed to admit that I havent watched alot of TV nor seen/read coverage of the floods until this week and now I am constantly checking the updates and as it unfolds and gets worse, it is devastating to watch.

I wonder where and when it will end, how much worse can it get and how many more lives will be lost in this awful disaster.

Mr PP and I are going to donate to the flood appeal and I will see if I can start a collection at work. It is all too easy to become wrapped up in our own lives and forget about what is happening elsewhere.

And sometimes it seems like it is happening in another country as each state in Australia is so different climate wise, but it is happening in our country and affecting the lives of so many people.

They were saying at least 8 are dead in Toowoomba, some of which are children and at least 71 missing and they predict it will get worse. I hope they find these people and no more lives are lost.

Any BE members affected by these floods, please keep safe as best you can and keep us updated.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:22 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

This link may be useful for folks who are interested in what has happened at Toowoomba.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toowoo...21413644594262

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.