Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

FIRES! Is everyone ok?

FIRES! Is everyone ok?

Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIRES! Is everyone ok?

Originally Posted by hevs
Hope everyone is ok.

our whole village is cordoned off still not allowed in. I drove out along the back road and theres fires still burning, houses are gone, fence posts and trees are still burning....its a bit freaky to say the least!
I can't get to my son who is at friends at Narre East, (Boundry rd) but they say they are safe....

BADGE The bit between Welly Rd and Harkaway is black and trees, fences, bales etc are still on fire. A fire engine just hammered past! We can't get in to Harkaway and now there thunder and lightning directly overhead! NO RAIN! We can use the fire track if we need to! But not ideal for the move we were supposed to be doing today!
L is down in Berwick and is fine. Over the hill to Narre North is also black and thats where they lost properties. 2 on Hallieur Rd and one on King. We don't stay to defend either. Its not worth it with kids here and hubby working across a major fire risk aras (Lysterfield/ FTG)

Apparently Marysville has been lost...
Gee - I figured the burnt bits were the bits I couldn't see...

The fire we worked on at midday (morning crew I was on) looks like it picked up again. Alot of ground there was short grass - not much of a fuel load there infact. Obviously it got into the woodier bits or a seperate fire came down from further North. The one we went to originated near Crawley Road, Narre Warren N. Much later when the afternoon crew were out, I heard a friend of the family who was a sector commander saying he was under ember attack at the corner of Abeckett and Berwick Road. That was at 3pm and that's when I realised you guys - and then us - were at risk. What pisses me off is that we had no comms or feedback from anyone or our afternoon crew.

Best of luck. Glad to hear that L is down in Berwick probably having a 'big breakfast' as we speak.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen the overhead footage of Marysville on ABC website - devastating - I have a long history with that township
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:34 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Just seen the overhead footage of Marysville on ABC website - devastating - I have a long history with that township
When I heard the presenter on the TV mention Marysville was "wiped out" I assumed I had misheard. I have just seen that overhead footage now and am finding it hard to believe although the pictures are right in front of my eyes.
They estimate 90 -95% of the houses are simply gone.
That is a township with a population of approx 600 people.

It is only an incredible testament to the evacuation procedures that are in place that they managed to avoid a major loss of life there.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-12377,00.html
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry to read about such a large loss of life.

I obviously don't know the area or the country - but it's hard to gauge the scale of this.

Will these people have had house insurance or is this some kind of uninsurable risk in this area ?
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

glad everyone here is ok
such a sad situation
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:17 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Very sorry to read about such a large loss of life.

I obviously don't know the area or the country - but it's hard to gauge the scale of this.

Will these people have had house insurance or is this some kind of uninsurable risk in this area ?
Depends on the individuals Ann. I hazard a guess that the areas affected would be quite expensive to insure against fire risk.

More dreadful news. 35 now confirmed dead.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:18 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

We have friends in Kinglake West, I can't get hold of them at all! I pray to God they're ok!

I've been trying that emergency number for ages but it's understandably busy.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:27 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Me too. I think Martin Luther is out there with him, so my thoughts with him too.
Thanks muchly. I got back in about 1.30am and have been on duty crew (i.e. tidying up the mess) this morning.

We got called to a house fire in the neighbouring town about 1pm. At about 1.30pm we had to pack up quickly and head over to Nar Nar Goon for the Bunyip fire. We spent most of the time fighting the fire on the Princes Freeway and in the small township of Nilma to the east of Warragul. We had only 1 house lost which was a good result considering (although not for the person who lost their house). There were burn marks halfway across people's gardens and along their fence lines.

It amazingly hard to stop these fires. When they're in the forest, you can't go in because the trees will fall on you. When it's in the paddocks you've got manoeverability problems because of fences, gullies etc. And obviously in towns there's so much that needs protecting.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Feb 8th 2009 at 1:41 am.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:32 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

This is awful and hard to comprehend why on earth people start these fires.

I cant imagine what it is like to see everything you own burnt to the ground let alone the tragic loss of life in these circumstances.

Hevs and everyone connected with this - stay safe.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:54 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

We're all numb, so so sad. Stay safe everyone.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Iolair will become famous soon enough

My deepest compassion for those who have lost their lives.
To their families and friends, my heartfelt sympathy.

My sincere empathy and affinity for those who have lost homes, pets, lives-stock, friends and neighbours.

Both my brothers are full time officers with the CFA - one directing relief, then in the thick of it at the front lines in Bendigo - he is ok, but totally exhausted. Yesterday as the fires jumped roads in the Long Gully suburb of Bendigo, his crew were left with no option but to get out - and their fire truck would not start. After an extremely tense few minutes, they managed to get the truck started and got away, each crew member accounted for and safe. My other brother is an officer with a Geelong CFA unit - my family and I are yet to hear from him and have no idea where he is fighting the fires, or if he is safe.

It is nowhere near over, though tempreatures have dropped. This morning I stood outside the front of our home in the rain and simply cried with relief. I wish I'd taken a photo of the tempreature guage outside our kitchen window yesterday - because no one would believe me when I say it read 51.2 celcius.

We've put containers of cold water out for the birds and notice our neighbours are doing the same. People should be aware that even if they do not live in one of the areas directly affected by the fires, they should look out for the wildlife. Many animals will try to find shelter and water in the Melbourne suburbs to get away from the heat, dust and smoke and fires. This will include snakes.
I hope everyone will remain alert and most of all, safe.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The volunteers who try and keep the rest of us safe do a remarkable job - the disgrace is how they themselves have to raise most of the cash for equipment and training.

We stayed in a hotel in Singleton a few years back when almost every room in town was taken by RFS men from outside the area - they were totally exhausted yet were hot-bedding and going out again after a couple of hours' rest.

It's "only" 41' here at the moment and no smoke in sight - let it continue. Keep safe, folks!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

I really feel for you folks out there going through this. Keep yourselves safe.

To the CFA crews and all of those services involved, how utterly unselfish you are. You do an incredible job and all deserve a medal.

Jacqui
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Thanks muchly. I got back in about 1.30am and have been on duty crew (i.e. tidying up the mess) this morning.

We got called to a house fire in the neighbouring town about 1pm. At about 1.30pm we had to pack up quickly and head over to Nar Nar Goon for the Bunyip fire. We spent most of the time fighting the fire on the Princes Freeway and in the small township of Nilma to the east of Warragul. We had only 1 house lost which was a good result considering (although not for the person who lost their house). There were burn marks halfway across people's gardens and along their fence lines.

It amazingly hard to stop these fires. When they're in the forest, you can't go in because the trees will fall on you. When it's in the paddocks you've got manoeverability problems because of fences, gullies etc. And obviously in towns there's so much that needs protecting.
Hi everyone - hope you're all safe. MartinLuther, how's Nar Nar Goon and surrounds doing? I have a niece there and sister, two other neices, their husbands and kids not far away. I haven't heard from any of them and was wondering if they're still on alert or whether things are getting better.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

49 Updated Toll,
It is going to get worse.
Take care everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.