Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Earth tremor in Caboolture!

Earth tremor in Caboolture!

Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Earth tremor in Caboolture!

Apparently shook the houses and the birds stopped singing ! (probably fell out of the trees!) - anyone got first hand experience of it??
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:28 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Earth tremor in Caboolture!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Apparently shook the houses and the birds stopped singing ! (probably fell out of the trees!) - anyone got first hand experience of it??
Sure it's not a mine blast? There are some stone quarries in N. Brisbane Pine and Caboolture area. I have a local guy here who used to work in the mining trade years ago , and he said sometimes the blasts ,tremors can be felt 8k/10 's away, and shake things.

Or it could very well be a small earth tremor.

Brisbane has never had a earthquake yet, only Newcastle NSW where a few lives were lost too. A poker machine fell on one woman ( no kidding). A lot of the injuries and deaths from that earthquake were in the club, people working there and customers etc.

Apparently, some scientists have been warning that Brisbane will get hit one day . I watched this programme once where these scientists were reckoning Brisbane will get hit by either a tsunami, which would wipe out a lot of Brisbane , or an earthquake off shore which would create this Tsunami/tidal wave . They had all computer generated pictures of what it would be like - Very happy chappies they were too I wish I had taped the documentary now, it was a good programme. It was around 6 years ago when I watched it, before I moved up to Brissie.

cheers
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:31 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Counter Disaster Unit are looking into it - reports are now of an explosion and earth tremor, so you may be right Ceri, could be a mine blast.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:59 am
ABCDiamond

It was a sonic boom caused by an F111

Just heard it announced on the news.

Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

The Counter Disaster Unit are looking into it - reports are now of an explosion and earth tremor, so you may be right Ceri, could be a mine blast.
On the Radio , it was felt in areas from the pine and caboolture as far as SC to shaking windows and walls etc, they said they think it was a sonic boom, some plane testing engines.. ahh pull the other one - It's an earthquake, that's far more exiting than a sonic boom
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:11 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Ceri
On the Radio , it was felt in areas from the pine and caboolture as far as SC to shaking windows and walls etc, they said they think it was a sonic boom, some plane testing engines.. ahh pull the other one - It's an earthquake, that's far more exiting than a sonic boom
Disaster Management says unconfirmed reports from Defence of it being an aircraft, statement to be issued by Defence later today........
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:19 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Disaster Management says unconfirmed reports from Defence of it being an aircraft, statement to be issued by Defence later today........
I wouldn't trust those defence people.. they'd cover up an earthquake to stop people panicking , and they'd tell people it's a plane. I've seen the doco where Brisbane will be wiped out in the future by a great tidal wave.lol

I don't believe it, it's a conspiracy
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:30 am
Home and Happy

Wonder if the earth moving dislodged anyones rose-tinted specs.....
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

I was sat in the car park of the coffee club in Aspley and didn't feel a thing, there again my hubby says i never do!
hugs
Rach x
Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

This is off the ABC

F-111 blamed for causing sonic boom

A sonic boom has shaken coastal areas of south-east Queensland sparking fears of an earthquake.

The ABC switchboard has been flooded with calls from people in the Brisbane area who have felt walls shake and seen windows rattle.

The tremor was felt at Clontarf, on Brisbane's bayside and on Stradbroke and Bribie Islands, and at Deception Bay and Redlands.

Patrick Leahy from north of Brisbane says you could not miss it.

"I felt a very sharp sudden shaking of the house [and] windows and doors rattling quite viciously," he said.

Paul Lineham from Defence Public Affairs says an F-111 being tested off-shore created a sonic boom.

"Now normally people on the coast won't hear or feel that but sometimes the sound waves can get trapped in a temperature inversion layer which obviously happened in this situation and it broke closer to shore," he said.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry to much. I live in Rugby, Warwickshire UK and we have had 2 earthquakes in the 6 years I've been here. The last one was 4.5 on the scale, very strong for England :scared: . They happen everywhere. Glad I'm hoping to go to Sydney

Cheers Jo
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:20 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
I wouldn't worry to much. I live in Rugby, Warwickshire UK and we have had 2 earthquakes in the 6 years I've been here. The last one was 4.5 on the scale, very strong for England :scared: . They happen everywhere. Glad I'm hoping to go to Sydney

Cheers Jo

I remember that big one, the sound from it was so bizzarre - the epicentre was about 2kms from where I lived at the time near Dudley and friends 50 miles away in Cheltenham were woken by it.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ceri
Brisbane has never had a earthquake yet, only Newcastle NSW where a few lives were lost too. A poker machine fell on one woman ( no kidding). A lot of the injuries and deaths from that earthquake were in the club, people working there and customers etc.
I was living in Parramatta (NSW) when the Newcastle one hit, (150km away), and I remember feeling a bit a wobbly. But it wasn't me wobbling, it was the building I was in !!

http://www.ga.gov.au/urban/factsheet..._newcastle.jsp
The 1989 Newcastle earthquake was the first earthquake in Australia since European settlement to cause death and destruction. 13 people died, more than 160 people sustained injuries and over 10,000 buildings in Newcastle suffered modest to substantial damage, with insurance pay outs exceeding the billion dollar mark. The earthquake, measuring 5.6 on the Richter scale struck Newcastle, Australia's sixth largest city, on 28th December 1989 and shattered the myth that disastrous earthquakes never occur in Australia.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Oct 13th 2004 at 7:49 am.

Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:51 am
Just Joined

reevsie is an unknown quantity at this point

I slept through an earthquake in Los Angeles a few years ago. It was 5.5 on the Richter scale with the epicentre 50 miles or so away. I didnt notice a thing!, I just woke up to find the room re-arranged!.
Shame the girlfriend wasn't with me, then she definately couldn't say 'well the earth didnt move for me...!'
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Good, might do a bit of redevelopment to that sh*te hole!.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.