Tidal Wave

Old Dec 26th 2004, 4:15 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Tidal Wave

Has anyone else in Australia been to the beach this evening?

I know it is nothing in comparison with what has happened in other places in the world today but it realy is scary just how powerfull mother nature is, we were in the garden this eveing which look out on to the ocean and could see a police boat, lights flashing and looking for something with a spotlight, then some people staying here came back from dinner and said how they were down the harbour and the police were all over the place and a boat was out in the harbour looking for something so we were all a bit worried about what/who they might be looking for, then another guy came back and said up the road was flooded, cars parked in a car park with water up over there tyres, then my mum phoned and said to look at the news about the earthwake/tidal wave in asia, we all watched the news for about an hour but didn't for one second relate the 2, then a mate dropped in and said that down the fishermans wharf (believe it or not the wharf in Gero is actually quite big and there are some very big ships down there) there had been a rise of at least 6 ft if not more 5 times in the last 2 hrs, a few boats have been a bit trashed and the ropes which hold the big ships in place have snapped. How scary is it that something so far away can cause things to change so much here. so we all walked over the beach and to be honest it is really scary,the ocean just looks too full up, it is dificult to expalin but it is definalely not as it should be, the tide was amazingly high and you could see in the sand where it has come up to, I would honestly say that it has been 3 meters higher than it should have been. there are police all over town and people everywhere, al very strange, I can only hope that the police out on the ocean were not looking for a person but in the sad reality it looks that even right down here the earthquake today has taken it's toll.

Kala
Old Dec 26th 2004, 4:19 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tidal Wave

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Has anyone else in Australia been to the beach this evening?

I know it is nothing in comparison with what has happened in other places in the world today but it realy is scary just how powerfull mother nature is, we were in the garden this eveing which look out on to the ocean and could see a police boat, lights flashing and looking for something with a spotlight, then some people staying here came back from dinner and said how they were down the harbour and the police were all over the place and a boat was out in the harbour looking for something so we were all a bit worried about what/who they might be looking for, then another guy came back and said up the road was flooded, cars parked in a car park with water up over there tyres, then my mum phoned and said to look at the news about the earthwake/tidal wave in asia, we all watched the news for about an hour but didn't for one second relate the 2, then a mate dropped in and said that down the fishermans wharf (believe it or not the wharf in Gero is actually quite big and there are some very big ships down there) there had been a rise of at least 6 ft if not more 5 times in the last 2 hrs, a few boats have been a bit trashed and the ropes which hold the big ships in place have snapped. How scary is it that something so far away can cause things to change so much here. so we all walked over the beach and to be honest it is really scary,the ocean just looks too full up, it is dificult to expalin but it is definalely not as it should be, the tide was amazingly high and you could see in the sand where it has come up to, I would honestly say that it has been 3 meters higher than it should have been. there are police all over town and people everywhere, al very strange, I can only hope that the police out on the ocean were not looking for a person but in the sad reality it looks that even right down here the earthquake today has taken it's toll.

Kala

very scary indeed....mother nature is trying to give us hints since years but we choose to ignore them
Old Dec 26th 2004, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough

I had wondered how far around the world the effects of this terrible earthquake would have been felt.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by primrose
I had wondered how far around the world the effects of this terrible earthquake would have been felt.
Dutch geologists were able to record the earthquake. Mind you, that's on the other side of the globe...... :scared:
Old Dec 26th 2004, 5:07 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Toontje
Dutch geologists were able to record the earthquake. Mind you, that's on the other side of the globe...... :scared:
Yep my dad said that at 1am (GMT) the earthquake could be felt in the UK, he didn't actually feel it but h saw on the news that it was recorded and felt in the uk
Old Dec 26th 2004, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Yep my dad said that at 1am (GMT) the earthquake could be felt in the UK, he didn't actually feel it but h saw on the news that it was recorded and felt in the uk
Was a pretty strong one, eh? 8.9 on the Richter scale.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 5:21 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Toontje
Was a pretty strong one, eh? 8.9 on the Richter scale.
Im not an expert but I reckon that makes it a nasty fu****
Old Dec 26th 2004, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
Im not an expert but I reckon that makes it a nasty fu****
You certainly wouldn't want that to happen under your house, or your neighbours.......
Old Dec 26th 2004, 9:34 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Current estimates are 10,000 dead. This is a huge disaster and not much is known about the area near the epicentre in Aceh. There are a lot of missing people.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Been watching the news about this tsumani, what got me was that they spent more time talking about the tourists there, than the people who live there. Ok, the tourists would be having a bad time - but nothing as bad as losing your home, livelihood and loved ones.

I understand tourists lost their lives too - but still...............

Cas
Old Dec 26th 2004, 9:56 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

the guy on the news last night said 8.9 was the highest ever recorded this century.... i think he meant in the last 100 years or something. it's certainly a lot higher than usual.

Just think another one like that off the east coast and canberra my have to be renamed canberra-by-the-sea! :scared:
Old Dec 26th 2004, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the largest earthquake in decades. The final death toll may never be known, as it has affected so many countries with the effects of the tidal wave, and loads of people have been washed out to sea in Thailand, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, The Maldives, and God knows where else. Many bodies may never be found.......
Old Dec 26th 2004, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scutterUK
the guy on the news last night said 8.9 was the highest ever recorded this century.... i think he meant in the last 100 years or something. it's certainly a lot higher than usual.

Just think another one like that off the east coast and canberra my have to be renamed canberra-by-the-sea! :scared:

One thing I really like about the UK is being able to sleep easy in my bed without the risk of earthquakes.
Our last summer in Wellington we were plagued by earthquakes, normally we just ignore it and hope it will stop, judging by this not something I will do again. It was so bad that I started sleeping with my shoes and clothes by the bed, don't know why as the one time in the middle of the night I tried to drag my kids out of bed I hadn't thought about my shoes!!

Happy and safe christmas to all
KAZ
Old Dec 26th 2004, 10:18 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

It is an unthinkable disaster on a terrible scale. If, like me, you feel that you want to do something to help, why not donate to the two excellent charities Medecins sans Frontieres (MSF) who send immediate medical aid and trained medics to disaster areas, and the Red Cross.

Both are extremely reputable organisations who spend the huge majority of donated funds on relief work, not admin. Two of the doctors in my family regularly volunteer for MSF, and at least one of them will be headed to wherever they are needed in Asia within the next 12 hours.

Here's the link for MSF, with a 'Donations' button to click if you wish to help:

http://www.msf.org/countries/page.cf...75C0B6295D31DB

Here are links for the UK & Oz Red Cross:

http://www.redcross.org.uk/homepage.asp

http://www.redcross.org.au/howyoucanhelp_appeals.htm
(this page has not been updated with the Earthquake appeal yet, but it's a case of 'watch this space' for the Earthquake appeal to be added)

Anya.

PS: sorry for the unashamed 'advertising' in this post, but I hope the mods will let me off in the circumstances - it is the speed with which donations are sent that can be critical in these disasters.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been reading about the quake off the coast of Tasmania a few days ago,which measured 8.1. They reckon that this could have partially triggered the indonesian quake. scary stuff.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...E28477,00.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.