Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emergency Alert - National Warning System

Emergency Alert - National Warning System

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emergency Alert - National Warning System

One of the recommendations that came out of this year's bushfire tragedy in Victoria was that a national warning system for such events needed to be developed. This had actually been talked about for years in the individual States (in Qld it was discussed in some detail after Tropical Cyclone Larry) but it has now finally come into being.

There will be a lot more about it in the media over the coming weeks/months, but the launch is this week so I thought I'd just make people aware of it.

Emergency Alert
is being launched this week, and communities can now be alerted to flood, cyclone and bushfire emergencies via a voice message on landline phones and text messages on mobile phones.

The system can send 300 text messages per second to mobile phones and up to 1,000 voice messages per minute to landlines
Warnings at first can only be sent to landlines and mobile phones based on billing addresses, but authorities are hoping to launch the second stage of the system next year where all mobile phones in an area under threat can receive warnings, allowing visitors to be notified.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...02/2759416.htm
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...1202-k4de.html
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice
Default Re: Emergency Alert - National Warning System

Thats interesting! How would it work if you are on a pre-paid phone?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
Thats interesting! How would it work if you are on a pre-paid phone?
If there's no billing address associated with a mobile it won't work, hence stage 2.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:05 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
If there's no billing address associated with a mobile it won't work, hence stage 2.
When you buy a SIM card here even if its a pre-paid one, you have to activate it by registering your name and address. Its those addresses which will be used to start with until the technology catches up. Once Stage Two goes live it will work on the signal the phone is receiving, rather than on the location of the registered address.

Until Stage Two comes in therefore, people still using UK registered SIM cards, or ones registered in another area won't receive the right alerts - UK registered won't get any, those from other areas will get alerts for where they are registered. There is a push to bring in Stage Two asap, but I think they've done well to get the system this far in such a short time, as its a huge undertaking.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Cool thanks.

I wasnt saying that I wasnt impressed, it sounds brilliant a really good idea. I was just curious. But I do vaguely remember now, needing to give an address when I got my sim card.

Hopefully I wont ever need it, being pretty much in the city, it would have to be pretty severe to get to me. I was more curious about it.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:56 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
Cool thanks.

I wasnt saying that I wasnt impressed, it sounds brilliant a really good idea. I was just curious. But I do vaguely remember now, needing to give an address when I got my sim card.

Hopefully I wont ever need it, being pretty much in the city, it would have to be pretty severe to get to me. I was more curious about it.
No, thats fine, I did get it the way you meant it
Hopefully it won't get used too much; I think the main uses in Queensland will be bushfires and tsunami warnings. We get too many storm warnings to use it for that, personally speaking, as it people wouldn't take it seriously enough after a while if it gets over-used.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

On the weekend of the devastating Vic bushfires, I received a text message from Vic emergency services warning me of the situation and advicing me to check local news to see if I needed to evacuate. Sounds like a good idea but I live in Tas

Apparently the wrong info was given by Telstra to the emergency services!

Sam
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:23 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One of the recommendations that came out of this year's bushfire tragedy in Victoria was that a national warning system for such events needed to be developed. This had actually been talked about for years in the individual States (in Qld it was discussed in some detail after Tropical Cyclone Larry) but it has now finally come into being.

There will be a lot more about it in the media over the coming weeks/months, but the launch is this week so I thought I'd just make people aware of it.

Emergency Alert
is being launched this week, and communities can now be alerted to flood, cyclone and bushfire emergencies via a voice message on landline phones and text messages on mobile phones.

The system can send 300 text messages per second to mobile phones and up to 1,000 voice messages per minute to landlines
Warnings at first can only be sent to landlines and mobile phones based on billing addresses, but authorities are hoping to launch the second stage of the system next year where all mobile phones in an area under threat can receive warnings, allowing visitors to be notified.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...02/2759416.htm
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...1202-k4de.html
Spam?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:13 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

On the weekend of the devastating Vic bushfires, I received a text message from Vic emergency services warning me of the situation and advicing me to check local news to see if I needed to evacuate. Sounds like a good idea but I live in Tas

Apparently the wrong info was given by Telstra to the emergency services!

Sam
Telstra don't actually give the Emergency Services any info. The message is sent out by Telstra after being authorised by the Emergency Service concerned. The ES defines the area to be warned, Telstra then sends the message to all phones with registered billing addresses in that area.
Might be worth checking that the billing address held by Telstra for your phone is correct.

Having said that, whatever system was used to send out warnings in Feb was different from this, as this has been developed since and so far has only been used for testing.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:13 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Spam?
No, it isn't.

I sometimes wonder why I bother.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:58 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

No, it isn't.

I sometimes wonder why I bother.
Ok, here's the thing.....you ready?........

It was (supposed to be) a joke....
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:19 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Ok, here's the thing.....you ready?........

It was (supposed to be) a joke....
Unfortunately I think a lot of the public will actually think it IS spam and will ignore it.....
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:31 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Unfortunately I think a lot of the public will actually think it IS spam and will ignore it.....
Oh well, they probably need to removed from the human gene pool anyway so it's self-serving really.....All's good....
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Telstra don't actually give the Emergency Services any info. The message is sent out by Telstra after being authorised by the Emergency Service concerned. The ES defines the area to be warned, Telstra then sends the message to all phones with registered billing addresses in that area.
Might be worth checking that the billing address held by Telstra for your phone is correct.

Having said that, whatever system was used to send out warnings in Feb was different from this, as this has been developed since and so far has only been used for testing.
It was obviously Telstra that messed up as hundreds of people in Tas got the text, sending a "Mexican wave" of panic across the isle! But as you say this is a new method and will hopefully help to alert the right people in the right place.

Sam
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:39 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Sammy T
It was obviously Telstra that messed up as hundreds of people in Tas got the text, sending a "Mexican wave" of panic across the isle! But as you say this is a new method and will hopefully help to alert the right people in the right place.

Sam
As one of those in the hot seat and possibly pressing the button, I can only say.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.