Drought

Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:56 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drought

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Personally I vote for Turning lake Eyre into an inland sea
Actually didn't this lake Eyre thing used to be full to the brim of water and surely it hasn't just disappeared in the last 200 years since Aussies started factories?

Goes back to natural things happen as well as man made.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Actually didn't this lake Eyre thing used to be full to the brim of water and surely it hasn't just disappeared in the last 200 years since Aussies started factories?

Not sure Anna, I'm actually not even sure whether it was saltwater or brackish or fresh.

However in the scheme of things, maybe a Canal could be built from the closest coastline, and filled with seawater. Not to sure of the ramifications of that, however it should mean more precipitation in the surrounding area.
Something has to give eventually. Apparently a student funded a full page ad in the Australian today, talking about the probability of Aussie running out of water. Two of the measure were more trees, and stopping migration (hence demand on the water supply) Immediately.

I'm very uneasy about all of this.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm wonder if they will go back to the Roman times, when they grew grapes for wine across the UK ? 3-4 degrees warmer back in the Roman times apparently, Must have been all those aqua ducts and catapults causing methane and CO2 emissions. Bloody Romans, what did they ever do for us.

One things for sure, mankind had the means to change it's environment, time to stop panicking and ensure a water supply, is my point.
Mankind certainly has the means - the climate is changing in very big ways!

I think the panicking will come in 5 - 10 years, when it may effectively be too late to stop the changes already taking place from reinforcing one another. I wouldn't be very surprised to see governments forced by necessity into draconian measures such as banning private transport altogether, outlawing air conditioning and suchlike. I personally think that with the global population rising towards three or four times what the planet can sustain indefinitely none of the measures will have much effect, so in the meantime I intend to enjoy!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:08 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Mankind certainly has the means - the climate is changing in very big ways!

I think the panicking will come in 5 - 10 years, when it may effectively be too late to stop the changes already taking place from reinforcing one another. I wouldn't be very surprised to see governments forced by necessity into draconian measures such as banning private transport altogether, outlawing air conditioning and suchlike. I personally think that with the global population rising towards three or four times what the planet can sustain indefinitely none of the measures will have much effect, so in the meantime I intend to enjoy!
I don't think you will ever see any grand inter state or national projects here due to the whole federal - state shambles. In the last 4 years Australia has reaped an extra 100 billion dollars from the mining boom and today they anounce 60 million for projects on CO2 reduction and green energy. Shouldn't this figure have been up in the billions then if there was any real intention of trying to do something about it all?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 12:56 pm
Banned

Rug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud of

The question is: What are the Federal and State governments gonna do about the water issue? Its been 'talked' about for far too much now and some drastic action needs to be done!

The problem with the Aussie mindset is that vanity comes before necessity!
It could be too late to build a swanky swimming pool when there's no bl**dy water to put in it!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 12:58 pm
Banned

Rug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by annqldau

I agree. Theres far too many greenies influencing the media, brainwashing the poplace into believing that the ozone layer has gone when a lot of it is patterns and cycles!

Lets all be green and pay another stealth tax!! Not for me.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:22 pm

Not sure Anna, I'm actually not even sure whether it was saltwater or brackish or fresh.

However in the scheme of things, maybe a Canal could be built from the closest coastline, and filled with seawater. Not to sure of the ramifications of that, however it should mean more precipitation in the surrounding area.
Something has to give eventually. Apparently a student funded a full page ad in the Australian today, talking about the probability of Aussie running out of water. Two of the measure were more trees, and stopping migration (hence demand on the water supply) Immediately.

Instead of stopping migration if they rationed the town water and encouraged more rain tanks would work wonders as a quick fix while they sorted the rest. Like someone said the other day all new houses could be built with underground tanks as the normal.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:22 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rug13y
I agree. Theres far too many greenies influencing the media, brainwashing the poplace into believing that the ozone layer has gone when a lot of it is patterns and cycles!

Lets all be green and pay another stealth tax!! Not for me.
Forget the greenies. Just read a little of the science - there's an awful lot of it around and most definitely not much is Greenpeace-type propaganda. For example, the Siberian melt problem has been studied by the Russians for decades but it's only recently become apparent just how much positive feedback there is from the methane release mechanism and how close we are to irreversible feedback - some scientists calculate we've already passed that point anyway.

Obviously there are all sorts of factors which are assumptions and estimates but I have seen enough to convince me that there's probably little point in trying to save the planet unless it's done really really seriously - and that's almost certainly politically suicidal so it ain't going to happen until things have gone so far that it's apparent to the meanest intelligence.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Wol
Forget the greenies. Just read a little of the science - there's an awful lot of it around and most definitely not much is Greenpeace-type propaganda. For example, the Siberian melt problem has been studied by the Russians for decades but it's only recently become apparent just how much positive feedback there is from the methane release mechanism and how close we are to irreversible feedback - some scientists calculate we've already passed that point anyway.

Obviously there are all sorts of factors which are assumptions and estimates but I have seen enough to convince me that there's probably little point in trying to save the planet unless it's done really really seriously - and that's almost certainly politically suicidal so it ain't going to happen until things have gone so far that it's apparent to the meanest intelligence.
David Bellemie was supposed to have fallen out of favour in the UK as he dared to say he didn't believe in global warming as such and thought it was a natural phenomenon.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice

We can all save water by getting our house checked over by the Government waterwise scheme.
The plumber comes out and restricts the flow to most taps in the house, fixes leaks at taps, fits a new water saving shower head, checks your hot water system etc all for $20!!!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by flumper
We can all save water by getting our house checked over by the Government waterwise scheme.
The plumber comes out and restricts the flow to most taps in the house, fixes leaks at taps, fits a new water saving shower head, checks your hot water system etc all for $20!!!!!
Don't think I get that as they are quite funny about us tank/bore people we are treated like second class citizens when it comes to things like that they say except those who are not on town water.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Both population growth and trees (well, specifically deforestation) have been well-documented issues relating to water [catchment/demand].

With regard to population, many will argue that the population should fit the resource and not the other way round. I remember posting on BE back in 2003 about the Vic govt reports that stated that on current trends, Melbourne's water would run out by 2012. I found this frightening. Melbourne population is targeted to hit 5.1m by 2050 but look how the city struggles to meet the demands of not even 4m today.

Deforestation in catchment areas has been challenged for a long time due to the adverse effect on water retainment, yet state govts continue to support it for economic reasons (although I am aware mass land clearing has now been stopped in some states - e.g. Qld).

The Vic state govt set targets (not sure when but at least 2003, if not earlier) to alleviate water supply problems. One of its targets is that by 2010, 20% of water will be recycled for agricultural/domestic use. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think to date, about 0.5% is recycled for domestic/agricultural use and there are no actual measures in place to ramp-up the recycling.

Another long-standing target is to reduce water consumption by 15% by 2010 (from 2003). I do not know whether this is close to being achieved as I have not kept fully up to date with the situation. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Both population growth and trees (well, specifically deforestation) have been well-documented issues relating to water [catchment/demand].

With regard to population, many will argue that the population should fit the resource and not the other way round. I remember posting on BE back in 2003 about the Vic govt reports that stated that on current trends, Melbourne's water would run out by 2012. I found this frightening. Melbourne population is targeted to hit 5.1m by 2050 but look how the city struggles to meet the demands of not even 4m today.

Deforestation in catchment areas has been challenged for a long time due to the adverse effect on water retainment, yet state govts continue to support it for economic reasons (although I am aware mass land clearing has now been stopped in some states - e.g. Qld).

The Vic state govt set targets (not sure when but at least 2003, if not earlier) to alleviate water supply problems. One of its targets is that by 2010, 20% of water will be recycled for agricultural/domestic use. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think to date, about 0.5% is recycled for domestic/agricultural use and there are no actual measures in place to ramp-up the recycling.

Another long-standing target is to reduce water consumption by 15% by 2010 (from 2003). I do not know whether this is close to being achieved as I have not kept fully up to date with the situation. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
No drought here tonight bloody peeing down, like trees think they should keep more of them regardless and make these new estates build around them... you can never have enough trees.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

zoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the rough

i'm currently living in adelaide and i have been amazed that they have only just introduced water restrictions (bout 2 weeks ago). i remember asking our landlord in our first property what days/times we could reticulate and he looked puzzled and said whenever you like. having spent lots of time in perth where it is a bit wetter, i was confused as they have had restrictions on reticulation for ages. and south aus is the driest state..

anyway so the water restrictions started - big deal: you can only water your garden on certain days and after 8pm (i think: we have never done any watering in the 5 months we have lived in this house). driving into the city on the first day of the restrictions at noon on a lovely warm 23 degree day and lo and behold a big municipal oval being watered. now i'm not green fingered but even my knowledge is that you don't water in heat; let alone on the first day of restrictions.

also the attitude to recycled water - aussies cringe. no one is suggesting that they drink their neighbour's wee for heaven's sake!! i have found aussies don't go in much for change, even if it is of benefit.

and on the news a couple of days ago: they expect the murray river will stop flowing in march if there is no rain before christmas. hello!! it's summer by then and it hasn't rained here all winter or spring! we were in perth a few weeks back and it rained more there in two weeks than it has the whole 11 months we have lived here. it didn't go into detail about who has stated it will stop flowing, or from what point on the river it will stop - but that is worrying in itself; the fact that they didn't think it worthy to mention these facts. this river is the heartland of farming and industry and the populace of south east australia, and further afield of course, and it's going to stop flowing??! and yet people are still washing their cars, flushing their loo every time, watering their grass, the state giovernments are still wasting massive quantities in leaking pipes, industry can take as much as it fancies etc etc.

what's going on, where are the priorities?? crazy and very worrying.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zoe13
i'm currently living in adelaide and i have been amazed that they have only just introduced water restrictions (bout 2 weeks ago). i remember asking our landlord in our first property what days/times we could reticulate and he looked puzzled and said whenever you like. having spent lots of time in perth where it is a bit wetter, i was confused as they have had restrictions on reticulation for ages. and south aus is the driest state..

anyway so the water restrictions started - big deal: you can only water your garden on certain days and after 8pm (i think: we have never done any watering in the 5 months we have lived in this house). driving into the city on the first day of the restrictions at noon on a lovely warm 23 degree day and lo and behold a big municipal oval being watered. now i'm not green fingered but even my knowledge is that you don't water in heat; let alone on the first day of restrictions.

also the attitude to recycled water - aussies cringe. no one is suggesting that they drink their neighbour's wee for heaven's sake!! i have found aussies don't go in much for change, even if it is of benefit.

and on the news a couple of days ago: they expect the murray river will stop flowing in march if there is no rain before christmas. hello!! it's summer by then and it hasn't rained here all winter or spring! we were in perth a few weeks back and it rained more there in two weeks than it has the whole 11 months we have lived here. it didn't go into detail about who has stated it will stop flowing, or from what point on the river it will stop - but that is worrying in itself; the fact that they didn't think it worthy to mention these facts. this river is the heartland of farming and industry and the populace of south east australia, and further afield of course, and it's going to stop flowing??! and yet people are still washing their cars, flushing their loo every time, watering their grass, the state giovernments are still wasting massive quantities in leaking pipes, industry can take as much as it fancies etc etc.

what's going on, where are the priorities?? crazy and very worrying.
She'll be right................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.