Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Disaster Relief - a complete joke?

Disaster Relief - a complete joke?

Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disaster Relief - a complete joke?

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Completely agree with you. For a country with the 'lock down' style rules and regulations of a high security prison chucking cash sums at people seemingly without any adjudication process is a favourite government hobby.
And best of all, these people won't have to pay the flood levy!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

here it is
there was a piece in the Cairns post or Star on Monday stating that there are investigations into fraudulent claims, and a number for you to call if you knew of any, so instead of people moaning about others making them, they should make a call and do something about it!!!!!!!!!!!

I have put a claim in but don't know if i will get it, We were without power for 4 days and lost contents of fridge/freezer, but ended up working a zillion hrs (of which the tax man took most!!)

If i am entitled to it, i will be going shopping for supplies and taking them down to Tully myself, due to being informed that if you donate to the disaster fund it could take a very long time to reach the people who need it if ever

I respect both sides of the argument and there have been a few heated ones in my own home If the Government are stupid enough to off this of course most people are going to take it.

just my 10 pennith worth x
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:15 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pink13
here it is
there was a piece in the Cairns post or Star on Monday stating that there are investigations into fraudulent claims, and a number for you to call if you knew of any, so instead of people moaning about others making them, they should make a call and do something about it!!!!!!!!!!!

I have put a claim in but don't know if i will get it, We were without power for 4 days and lost contents of fridge/freezer, but ended up working a zillion hrs (of which the tax man took most!!)

If i am entitled to it, i will be going shopping for supplies and taking them down to Tully myself, due to being informed that if you donate to the disaster fund it could take a very long time to reach the people who need it if ever

I respect both sides of the argument and there have been a few heated ones in my own home If the Government are stupid enough to off this of course most people are going to take it.

just my 10 pennith worth x
Dobbing people in seems too seedy. I think the broadsheets need to pick up on it and the government should re-examine the whole policy of dishing out cash like that. There must be far more efficient/cost effective ways to get emergency funds to those who need it - even looking at the cyclone track might have helped so they could see the areas most affected!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Dobbing people in seems too seedy. I think the broadsheets need to pick up on it and the government should re-examine the whole policy of dishing out cash like that. There must be far more efficient/cost effective ways to get emergency funds to those who need it - even looking at the cyclone track might have helped so they could see the areas most affected!
In the aftermath of both the recent floods and TC Yasi, house to house checks were completed by QFRS, QPS and SES and detailed tables compiled of which houses were minor/mod/major damage or destroyed. The info is there and available to all government departments that need access to it.

And yes, Centrelink and the Govt as a whole know abuse has been - and still is - going on. The stories that are told on here are often heard around work too.

Just one story -
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226006707376
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:46 am
Just Joined

EthenGroom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndieG
I would have taken it. But I would have also donated the entire proceeds to charity even if we were inconvenienced, definitely.

PS: I agree it is a complete disaster, excuse the pun.
Hi

Its hard to turn down money. I would have also taken it. Donating it would be a great idea because there are some people who are really in need.