Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:29 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Crossing the coast now at Airlie Beach, apparently very eerie in the eye of it! Gusts of 205 km/hr have been recorded

Most of the rain seems to be concentrateed in the southern part of the system, which isn't good news for Mackay........Nooooooo, not Framac and family again
The Framac's all safe and well

I spoke to them last night and today - still no power in Mackay and flood waters came close - but they are ok
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I wonder if there will come a point in the future when parts of the North start to become uneconomic to live in as a result of climate change?

If you start getting hit by a Cat 5 and say three Cat 4's every season then its going to become a nightmare for people up that way.
Climate change? Hasn't the top half of QLD always been hit by cyclones? Isn't it what tends to happen in the tropics?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:44 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Climate change? Hasn't the top half of QLD always been hit by cyclones? Isn't it what tends to happen in the tropics?
Of course... but if the the climate is warming then those cyclones will get larger, stronger and more frequent as the years pass.

I would be surprised if the economy of North QLD could handle being hit by Cat 5's on a regular basis.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Mar 21st 2010 at 2:51 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course... but if the the climate is warming then those cyclones will get larger, stronger and more frequent as the years pass.

I would be surprised if the economy on North QLD could handle being hit by Cat 5's on a regular basis.
Probably not but then I don't go with the climate change milarky anyway. Even this one ended up as a 2 or 3 on hitting land. Haven't had a 5 since Tracy in 1974. That's a fair old time period.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:58 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably not but then I don't go with the climate change milarky anyway. Even this one ended up as a 2 or 3 on hitting land. Haven't had a 5 since Tracy in 1974. That's a fair old time period.
I'm not convinced that climate change is man made either, but I'm reasonable convinced that the climate, globally, is warming. For the Tropics that's bad news as it will mean larger and more frequent storms.

As you said, this one was only a 3 when it hit land... but its still left 60,000 homes without power and widespread flooding. They may be used to that up there, but handling it on a more regular basis and with potentially larger storms on a regular basis as well, will surely become a big problem.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
The Framac's all safe and well

I spoke to them last night and today - still no power in Mackay and flood waters came close - but they are ok
Thanks for that! Great news. The power companies did say they wouldn't even look at fixing stuff till it was safe to to go out, same as the SES, but at least they are OK

I wonder if there will come a point in the future when parts of the North start to become uneconomic to live in as a result of climate change?

If you start getting hit by a Cat 5 and say three Cat 4's every season then its going to become a nightmare for people up that way.
Its always been a part of life up there - especially the Far North. I used to find their attitude strange but now I can see why they are so laid back about it, they've always had the cyclone threat and in many communities they are also used to being flooded repeatedly, and to being cut off for weeks by floods. They make allowances t deal with it goo - look at whole communities with houses on stumps so the water an flow underneath.

I'm not convinced that climate change is man made either, but I'm reasonable convinced that the climate, globally, is warming. For the Tropics that's bad news as it will mean larger and more frequent storms.

As you said, this one was only a 3 when it hit land... but its still left 60,000 homes without power and widespread flooding. They may be used to that up there, but handling it on a more regular basis and with potentially larger storms on a regular basis as well, will surely become a big problem.
I don't think it'll stop people living up there, but I do think some things need to change to make it less of an issue - power lines going underground instead of over, for example. also every cyclone that hits brings a lot of learning for all the agencies involved in response and recovery. Having worked through the Larry/Monica systems in 2006 I can see a lot of differences (for the better) in the preparations this time, including a lot of contingency plans that didn't have to be used, but it shows how much has been learnt, studied, revised and now tested.
One big learning curve really, the cyclones may well get more infrequent but more powerful, and that just means that our methods of dealing with them need to change.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:44 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigH68
missed us thankfully however thinking of the guys further up north, we had some wild winds around 3am, starting to pick up a bit again.......going to go out for a drive to see the huge waves....can hear the ocean from my hoose
Phew, you got away with it Glad it missed you, bet the wind sounded a bit nasty though
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that! Great news. The power companies did say they wouldn't even look at fixing stuff till it was safe to to go out, same as the SES, but at least they are OK

Its always been a part of life up there - especially the Far North. I used to find their attitude strange but now I can see why they are so laid back about it, they've always had the cyclone threat and in many communities they are also used to being flooded repeatedly, and to being cut off for weeks by floods. They make allowances t deal with it goo - look at whole communities with houses on stumps so the water an flow underneath.

I don't think it'll stop people living up there, but I do think some things need to change to make it less of an issue - power lines going underground instead of over, for example. also every cyclone that hits brings a lot of learning for all the agencies involved in response and recovery. Having worked through the Larry/Monica systems in 2006 I can see a lot of differences (for the better) in the preparations this time, including a lot of contingency plans that didn't have to be used, but it shows how much has been learnt, studied, revised and now tested.
One big learning curve really, the cyclones may well get more infrequent but more powerful, and that just means that our methods of dealing with them need to change.

We certainly love living up here..but complacency is the one thing that I think will catch the locals out one day....We know we live in areas that the cyclones may come to, but we also know we have to be prepared and unfortunetly you still hear heaps of people saying 'it won't hit us'...
I think the alert systems have worked really well and certainly there was evidence of the emergency services being more prepared this time around.
I am just thankful that no-one was hurt and as you say Pol, we learn something new each time
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:43 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by jimtrish
We certainly love living up here..but complacency is the one thing that I think will catch the locals out one day....We know we live in areas that the cyclones may come to, but we also know we have to be prepared and unfortunetly you still hear heaps of people saying 'it won't hit us'...
I think the alert systems have worked really well and certainly there was evidence of the emergency services being more prepared this time around.
I am just thankful that no-one was hurt and as you say Pol, we learn something new each time
I'll pass the comments on (and I know there are now several people at work now aware of BE and my postings on here!) - glad you could see some evidence of learnings from previous events!
Good that you guys came through OK

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 21st 2010 at 9:46 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:00 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We hear a lot about them there cyclone things but they never affect us.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:49 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bix
so says the writer of one of the best BE threads, ever after surviving Larry!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:06 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
That's because you're king of the jungle

and yer lion jokes are brilliant, but we won't talk about that
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Phew, you got away with it Glad it missed you, bet the wind sounded a bit nasty though
it sure did....and the fact that before the cyclone was anywhere near we had a friggin power out..........hardly a bloody puff off wind...6.30pm black out 11.30pm may be back on...bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!

So glad the guys up north were safe
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
We just suffer when Jim gets wind!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:22 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm in Sydney and most of last evening thought the patio doors were going to blow in, so I dread to think how you folks up north had it.