Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Climate change sceptics

Climate change sceptics

Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:56 pm
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough
Default Climate change sceptics

They have gone very quiet. Maybe it's something to do with the terrible flooding and bush fires we have had recently.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate change sceptics

Still here- I am only sceptical that it is entirely man-made, I think climates change naturally, and man is just helping the efforts along.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:06 pm
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Still here- I am only sceptical that it is entirely man-made, I think climates change naturally, and man is just helping the efforts along.
I don't think anyone has ever argued climate change is 'entirely' man made. The debate is what impact human actions are having on the recent period of warming.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1
I don't think anyone has ever argued climate change is 'entirely' man made. The debate is what impact human actions are having on the recent period of warming.

Spoiler alert.

Earths Climate has always been dynamic.

The argument is how much impact man has made on this. Personally I'm certain it's negligible.

If we were pumping oxygen out into the Atmosphere at the same rate as we have Carbon then possibly would have some serious worries on our hands.

Thats one thing this pseudo nouveau religion debate has taught me.... We are worried about the wrong climate effect.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 11th 2011 at 9:04 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Spoiler alert.

The argument is how much impact man has made on this.
I think we are having a big impact on climate change and I consider that our actions are speeding things up. Yes, climate change has been dynamic but we have been on the earth for a fraction of geological time and there have been periods in geological history where humans would struggle to survive.

he most worrying thing is that when I was doing my Geology degree the lecturers explained that it takes around 100 years for the effects of greenhouses gases in the atmosphere to be felt.

Regardless of whether you are a sceptic or not, it's hard to deny that humans have had a severe detrimental impact on our planet (e.g. pollution, urban sprawl, deforestation, species extinction etc).
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Spoiler alert.

The argument is how much impact man has made on this. Personally I'm certain it's negligible.

If we were pumping oxygen out into the Atmosphere at the same rate as we have Carbon then possibly would have some serious worries on our hands.

Thats one thing this pseudo nouveau religion debate has taught me.... We are worried about the wrong climate effect.
You are so right. We need to be worrying more about the stupidity of building in flood plains and failing to adapt to bush living by taking appropriate precautions (because we arent allowed to for fear of decimating the population of green toed spotted geckos), failing to take into account growing populations and their infrastructure needs etc. The CO2 religion is diverting attention away from where it really needs to be - adaptation to a climate we know changes drastically and always has. This is NOT a new phenomenon, we have had floods and fires before and just as bad except not with the same population density.

As the evidence grows that we are in fact heading into a period of significant cooling, we should be a darn sight more worried about the effect that will have. Another mini ice age wouldnt be my choice.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by quoll

As the evidence grows that we are in fact heading into a period of significant cooling, we should be a darn sight more worried about the effect that will have. Another mini ice age wouldnt be my choice.
What evidence would this be? The global cooling myth has been around since the 1970s.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:27 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

What evidence would this be? The global cooling myth has been around since the 1970s.
So have yer clothes
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:54 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

But whenever there is a disaster on theis scale they compare it to "The great flood of '74" And with the bushfires....compared to Black Friday in 1934 etc etc, its happened before....so is it global warming? cooling? Or mother nature being a big beatch?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Brisbane's Major Floods

* 1841 - 8.4m
* 1844 - 7m
* 1864 - 3.8m
* 1887 - 3.8m
* 1889 - 3.8m
* 1890 - 5.3m
* 1893 - 8.3m
* 1907 - 3.5m
* 1974 - 5.45m

Interesting stats there.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hevs
But whenever there is a disaster on theis scale they compare it to "The great flood of '74" And with the bushfires....compared to Black Friday in 1934 etc etc, its happened before....so is it global warming? cooling? Or mother nature being a big beatch?
it's impossible to determine whether individual weather events are caused by global warming, however, the increasing intensity/frequency of global events is a major concern.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

it's impossible to determine whether individual weather events are caused by global warming, however, the increasing intensity/frequency of global events is a major concern.
Or is it with global media we now know what is happening everywhere? 300 years ago what was happening in around the world, a flood in Aus,an earthquake in NZ, a Tsunami in Indonesia who (in the west)would know?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Or is it with global media we now know what is happening everywhere? 300 years ago what was happening in around the world, a flood in Aus,an earthquake in NZ, a Tsunami in Indonesia who (in the west)would know?
Possibly for the general public. But scientists have been studying climatology for thousands of years.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:59 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
You are so right. We need to be worrying more about the stupidity of building in flood plains and failing to adapt to bush living by taking appropriate precautions .....
Like living in Queensland and not building a house on stilts....
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:12 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gjn200
..300 years ago what was happening in around the world, a flood in Aus,an earthquake in NZ, a Tsunami in Indonesia who (in the west)would know?
Geologists....

'Natural disaster' (for want of a beter term) history is easy enough to study if you know what to look for.

Hence the relevant scientists know about things like devasting yellowstone supervolcanic activity thas only blown a handful of times in the last 2.1 million years. No human have observed an eruption directly - but the evidence is irrefutable.

I'm sure the same is true of major flood events (which leave significant deposits) - they can be measured restrospectively without anyone having observed them.

Having said that, I agree with your sentiment one reason the world seems so utterly f*&ked up at the moment is we all get to hear about every 'newsworthy' event - and now in glorious HD technicolour to make things as dramatic as possible.

(Office operating perfectly normally and everyone present here at work today in Brisbane.... no need for hystrical over-reactions!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.