Bogan / Redneck

Old Jan 8th 2015, 10:45 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bogan / Redneck

What's the difference between a bogan and a redneck in Australia and where do they live?
Old Jan 8th 2015, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bogan / Redneck

To me a bogan is a generic term used for many types of Aussie, usually guys with black tshirts or a flanno shirt, bit of bum crack showing and a packet of Winnie Blues stuffed in their sleeve - usually goes by the name of Dazza - drives a commodore with fluffy dice. Redneck to me is more the dual cab ute with spotties designed specifically for a fun night of roo and pig shooting while telling racist jokes and drinking crappy beer.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 11:04 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
What's the difference between a bogan and a redneck in Australia and where do they live?
bogan: definition of bogan in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)

"noun
Australian /NZ informal , derogatory

An uncouth or unsophisticated person, as being of low social status:"

redneck: definition of redneck in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)
"noun
North American informal , derogatory

A working-class white person from the southern US, especially a politically reactionary one:"

Bogan is the more used term, though redneck is being gradually introduced as more people are indoctrinated the American language base. Most "bogans" are associated with working class areas, SE Qld example; Logan, Kingston, Inala.

Found this link that probably gives the best description of a bogan. https://au.answers.yahoo.com/questio...1055520AAmVDJD

Still in the 70's and 80's most people dressed and acted that way and no-one battered an eye-lid. If I go according to the description there, I'm proud to be classed as a bogan.. I like Barnesy, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, ACDC etc, used to wear ugg boots until the fell a part, wear thongs, had a mullet, call a bloke a work (name is Jeremy) Jez, and so forth.....

Last edited by The Bloke; Jan 8th 2015 at 11:09 am.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 11:13 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
To me a bogan is a generic term used for many types of Aussie, usually guys with black tshirts or a flanno shirt, bit of bum crack showing and a packet of Winnie Blues stuffed in their sleeve - usually goes by the name of Dazza - drives a commodore with fluffy dice. Redneck to me is more the dual cab ute with spotties designed specifically for a fun night of roo and pig shooting while telling racist jokes and drinking crappy beer.
...and there you have described at least 80% of the population..... 30 years ago, anyone who drove a 4WD (also called a Toorak taxi and was only brought out to drive the kids to and from school) was a stuck up rich snob.....
Old Jan 8th 2015, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
...and there you have described at least 80% of the population..... 30 years ago, anyone who drove a 4WD (also called a Toorak taxi and was only brought out to drive the kids to and from school) was a stuck up rich snob.....
Yep, all Aussies are bogans at heart - what girl didn't love the boy at high school who rode his trail bike up the bridal trail illegally to your house after school in his checked shirt and ripple soled DB's.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever happened to the Aussie term of the past Ockers? They were the anti intellectuals, no interest in the finer things of life, racist, loud, usually up for a punch up, sort of downers being around.
The Bogan seems to have replaced the Ocker. I seem to recall Bogans in Perth were young wore black tee shirts and on the look out for a bit off biff in the 70's? At least in the Perth context. Now it covers an entire sub class, numerous, but by no means at the margins of society in the same way English Chav's may be represented.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

The Full List | Things Bogans Like

I always refer to this list. #212 is my personal favourite.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 5:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
The Full List | Things Bogans Like

I always refer to this list. #212 is my personal favourite.
Thats brilliant! #212 had me cracked laughing

I have an interest in the history of names, so the name tab on that page is just priceless too
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:06 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's the bloody POMS ya wanna worry about !!!!
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Whatever happened to the Aussie term of the past Ockers? They were the anti intellectuals, no interest in the finer things of life, racist, loud, usually up for a punch up, sort of downers being around.
The Bogan seems to have replaced the Ocker. I seem to recall Bogans in Perth were young wore black tee shirts and on the look out for a bit off biff in the 70's? At least in the Perth context. Now it covers an entire sub class, numerous, but by no means at the margins of society in the same way English Chav's may be represented.
Yes good old Swan View Rocks and the Midland mafia of the late 70's was the first time I ever heard the term bogan. When we arrived in Qld in 1995, very few people knew what I was talking about, in those days a bogan was referred to as bevan here.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats brilliant! #212 had me cracked laughing

I have an interest in the history of names, so the name tab on that page is just priceless too
I've read the book 3 times. It certainly warrants a 4th
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Time for this old gem.

Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:37 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
It's the bloody POMS ya wanna worry about !!!!
Too right, ya Bogtrotter

Originally Posted by Kim67
Yes good old Swan View Rocks and the Midland mafia of the late 70's was the first time I ever heard the term bogan. When we arrived in Qld in 1995, very few people knew what I was talking about, in those days a bogan was referred to as bevan here.
Really? thats interesting, must research the origins of that one. Its a Welsh family surname from the mid 1800s, and my Dad lost track of the branch......we suspected they may have been exiled to Australia but I've never managed to find them on any ship's lists.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Aussie slang like ocker, sheila, donger, bloke, even mate, kind of miss them. Two of my pet hates is buddy and dude.....rather listen to fingernails being scratched down a chalk-board (can't call it a black-board anymore....not pc).
Old Jan 13th 2015, 9:45 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Aussie slang like ocker, sheila, donger, bloke, even mate, kind of miss them. Two of my pet hates is buddy and dude.....rather listen to fingernails being scratched down a chalk-board (can't call it a black-board anymore....not pc).
Have you come across Bevan before? As mentioned by Kim?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.