Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Following the Nanna's Berries health issue

Following the Nanna's Berries health issue

Old Feb 28th 2015, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Following the Nanna's Berries health issue

is anyone else concerned about other foods from China ?

Some of my colleagues mentioned that they have been through their pantries and thrown away Chinese tinned foodstuffs "just in case" None of my colleagues will eat imported basa fish as they all know that they're farmed and fed human waste Coincidentally, having recently read 'Mao's Last Dancer' it mentions how (crops in China are 'fed' human waste (up until fairly recently, at least)
Old Feb 28th 2015, 9:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Following the Nanna's Berries health issue

Originally Posted by elmtree

Some of my colleagues mentioned that they have been through their pantries and thrown away Chinese tinned foodstuffs "just in case" None of my colleagues will eat imported basa fish as they all know that they're farmed and fed human waste Coincidentally, having recently read 'Mao's Last Dancer' it mentions how (crops in China are 'fed' human waste (up until fairly recently, at least)
As they were/are in many EU countries, and, even in the UK, well at least fields are fertilised with it, but only after it has been stood for a long time, People with septic tanks in the UK can usually find a local farmer to empty it for less than the local authority. This is one of the reasons that people are advised to wash foods before eating, and in Spanish supermarkets you can buy specific liquids to wash them in.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 8:14 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
As they were/are in many EU countries, and, even in the UK, well at least fields are fertilised with it, but only after it has been stood for a long time, People with septic tanks in the UK can usually find a local farmer to empty it for less than the local authority. This is one of the reasons that people are advised to wash foods before eating, and in Spanish supermarkets you can buy specific liquids to wash them in.
Yep I can remember before our village was connected to mains sewerage we used to have the turd gulper come & empty the septic tank. He'd drive off in his tractor & spread it all over the nearby fields. The only difference was the fields were for growing feed stock for cattle & sheep NOT for growing crops
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 8:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yep I can remember before our village was connected to mains sewerage we used to have the turd gulper come & empty the septic tank. He'd drive off in his tractor & spread it all over the nearby fields. The only difference was the fields were for growing feed stock for cattle & sheep NOT for growing crops
Always known as the 'dilly cart' when I were a lad.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 9:08 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Always known as the 'dilly cart' when I were a lad.
I remember betting one of the more gullible lads that he daren't knock the latch on the trailer open [it was only a long handle secured with a bit of chain to stop any accidental openings. He ran up to the back & yanked it open spewing the contents of several septic tanks all over the hill where we stood to catch the school bus. Not one of my greatest ideas but the look on the posties face as the tractor & trailer drove past him spewing liquid shit up his trouser legs & all over his posties cycle.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmtree

Some of my colleagues mentioned that they have been through their pantries and thrown away Chinese tinned foodstuffs "just in case" None of my colleagues will eat imported basa fish as they all know that they'refarmed and fed human waste Coincidentally, having recently read 'Mao's Last Dancer' it mentions how (crops in China are 'fed' human waste (up until fairly recently, at least)
We love the frozen berries for smoothies in our house but have stopped buying them now, prefer the fresh ones grown here. As for Mao's last dancer, saw him last week at rehearsals for Queensland Ballets latest production and he's survived his life in a Chinese village very well hehe.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 9:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
We love the frozen berries for smoothies in our house but have stopped buying them now, prefer the fresh ones grown here.
Human 'sewage waste' is also used as a fertiliser here.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Human 'sewage waste' is also used as a fertiliser here.
Mmm nice, think I'll give up food and just drink wine, surely grapes don't need to much fertiliser.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 10:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Mmm nice, think I'll give up food and just drink wine, surely grapes don't need to much fertiliser.
Some wine tastes like shit anyway

Perhaps they use it to fertilise the barley for some of the local beers
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
Some wine tastes like shit anyway

Perhaps they use it to fertilise the barley for some of the local beers
Lol
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

When I first heard this berry story I suspected a beat up/scare campaign courtesy of our legendary insular and protective Australian Farmers.

I still cant work out why there wasn't a break out of increased Hep A outbreaks during the current scare in other countries. Sure there have been outbreaks linked to China in Europe in the past... but none from this current batch during my searches.

So are they Keeping Australian supplies separate, or is it indeed a beat up ?

Meantime back to paying double for everything....... Apart from the German Sourced Aldi Products