British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Brisbane, is there a virus down there? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/brisbane-there-virus-down-there-701467/)

jad n rich Jan 19th 2011 10:32 pm

Brisbane, is there a virus down there?

Had appointments in brisbane yesterday, came back and by 11pm we are sick as dogs, really really ill:blink:

Norovirus like:unsure:, bad vomiting, mildly raised temp, severe headache, but by this morning son OK, me still headache, but that could be the stress at the moment.

Wasnt in a flood area, but right opposite a huge temporary dump of flood waste, smelly, bizzare sight, just shapes all covered in a snail grey, brown sludge, entire dump the same colour:ohmy:

Weve had all the flu jabs, but never experienced such a short but severe illness.

Pollyana Jan 20th 2011 4:49 am

Re: Brisbane, is there a virus down there?

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 9114532)
Had appointments in brisbane yesterday, came back and by 11pm we are sick as dogs, really really ill:blink:

Norovirus like:unsure:, bad vomiting, mildly raised temp, severe headache, but by this morning son OK, me still headache, but that could be the stress at the moment.

Wasnt in a flood area, but right opposite a huge temporary dump of flood waste, smelly, bizzare sight, just shapes all covered in a snail grey, brown sludge, entire dump the same colour:ohmy:

Weve had all the flu jabs, but never experienced such a short but severe illness.

There are nasties in the floodwater, thats why they are advising about tetanus injections. Also advising people to cover their skin while working in it, just common sense I'd have thought but there are a lot of pictures around of people doing the clean up in bare feet and shorts and not wearing gloves :confused: :rolleyes: I daren't go near the clean up, far too susceptible to skin infections. If you have breathing issues, asthma etc then I'd seen some health professionals suggesting that wearing a mask is a good idea.

And there are the usual germs floating around of course. So many people here reckon they have flu just cos the sneeze a couple of times, you know what its like!!

IvanM Jan 20th 2011 8:04 am

I guess that evaded Kev.

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9115174)
just common sense I'd have thought

scottishcelts Jan 20th 2011 8:29 am

Yip - the signs of 'zombieism' should start to appear in the next 48 hrs. :unsure:

cresta57 Jan 20th 2011 8:36 am

Not just Brisbane J, it's all over Deb & I suffered similar effects yesterday. Mate was sick last week with similar & I heard of loads of others effected prior to the flooding. Must be another viral bug.

Pollyana Jan 26th 2011 4:21 pm

COUNCIL staff who helped clean up a flooded area at Caboolture are being urged to seek medical help after two officers were allegedly diagnosed with the infectious disease Melioidosis.

A Moreton Bay Regional Council spokesman said several council flood clean up sites at Centenary Lakes were closed down yesterday ''upon confirmation of two cases of staff members contracting Melioidosis''.

Melioidosis is caused by a bacteria found in soil, mud and water. It can be fatal or cause loss of limbs and is brought out during intense rainfall.

Queensland's Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young, however, said there had been no confirmed cases of Melioidosis due to the recent flood events in South East Queensland.