Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Government Tsunami donations

Australian Government Tsunami donations

Old Dec 31st 2004, 4:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Australian Government Tsunami donations

Originally Posted by Larissa
I wonder if anyone has up-to-date amounts?
There is a report here http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html
But figures can be misleading:
eg: Other leading government contributors <..> Canada at $US32.8 million ($42.1 million), but the report then goes on to say: "Two Canadian provinces set aside aid worth $US10.8 million ($13.9 million) for Asian tsunami victims, bringing Canada's total government aid package to $44 million ($47 million). "

In Italy, a media campaign reportedly netted more than 11 million euro ($19.3 million) from mobile phone users, while the Italian foreign ministry has set aside three million euro ($5.3 million) for immediate relief.

Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a bit pointless comparing expenditure on aid with other government budgets.

I remember reading years ago (after hysteria in some quarters over the NASA budget) that US women spend three times the amount of the Apollo moon program per year - on cosmetics.

So what?
Old Dec 31st 2004, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's a lot of lippy!
Now I do love a bit of lipstick myself, but making the comparison helps me to realise personally that giving away a few pounds or bucks isn't going to break the bank, so if it makes people stop and give more, then that's great. It bothers me that people are scratching around in the mud for rice, when I'm stuffing my face with Timtams and the fridge is full. I'm not usually like this, but right now I feel bothered that we live in such a materialistic society, we have all this stuff but we don't actually need it.

Perhaps governments will dig a bit deeper if they come under critisicm, looks like the US are becoming more generous already. I think it's fine to compare government spending - if they weren't ever questionned, then who would they be answerable to?
I hope that something good comes out of this horrible thing, perhaps countries will co-ooperate and past grievances will be forgotten
Old Dec 31st 2004, 12:08 pm
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Larissa
Bush probably doesn't know where it is.

He will know where it is soon because he sent his brother there as part of the USA delegation. Dame Edna said on Parkinson the other week that for Christmas she sent George W an atlas of the world, how funny.

It was very heart warming to see the Oz government bieng one of the first to mobilise themselves and start helping, I was sat here in the UK (while on holiday) and it made me feel proud to part of Oz. Yes people on here slag the country and its people off but you can not fault them and what they are doing for the people of Asia. Oz is only a small country but it has a big heart.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j4yne
He will know where it is soon because he sent his brother there as part of the USA delegation. Dame Edna said on Parkinson the other week that for Christmas she sent George W an atlas of the world, how funny.

It was very heart warming to see the Oz government bieng one of the first to mobilise themselves and start helping, I was sat here in the UK (while on holiday) and it made me feel proud to part of Oz. Yes people on here slag the country and its people off but you can not fault them and what they are doing for the people of Asia. Oz is only a small country but it has a big heart.

I second that! Great post.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 2:04 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

The really encouraging thing for me is the way that the UK & US people have *embarassed* their governments into giving more cash for aid. It's impressive.

Now all we've got to do is embarrass those same weasly politicians into stopping the expenditure, mayhem & loss of lives (on all sides) incurred in the current round of wars & invasions.

Anya.