Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

I'm quite impressed you still have power Glitta. I don't know if all hell is going to break loose down here but it's not bad at the mo. A few showers, a bit windy but nowhere near as bad as Tuesday. Tricky one, I hope it blows over soon but then we need months and months of the rain. Stay dry guys.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm quite impressed you still have power Glitta. I don't know if all hell is going to break loose down here but it's not bad at the mo. A few showers, a bit windy but nowhere near as bad as Tuesday. Tricky one, I hope it blows over soon but then we need months and months of the rain. Stay dry guys.
Sunshine Coast currently expected to get a large dump of rain tonight,.no-one is guessing how large yet. Hervey Bay got some nasty winds late morning/lunchtime with a fair amount of property damage, winds seem to have moved southwards agaain, so back towards the Sunshine Coast.
If the predicted rain arrives there is a great danger of flooding.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sunshine Coast currently expected to get a large dump of rain tonight,.no-one is guessing how large yet. Hervey Bay got some nasty winds late morning/lunchtime with a fair amount of property damage, winds seem to have moved southwards agaain, so back towards the Sunshine Coast.
If the predicted rain arrives there is a great danger of flooding.

Yep hurrah for energex recently putting in underground power! Its been on and off throughout day, winds and rain back with avengence, hubby on duty and sending impressive pictures via camera phone of Noosa river - will try and download them. Basically Noosa river now extends across Hilton and Gympie terraces, across road and towards the shops, they've had to do a few rescues with the SES, stranded people in stranded, sunken cars. He took his 4wd to work and said water was up to top of tyres.

My rain water monitor is now on an impressive 556mm, emptied it a day ago so thats pretty good! Gardens front and back now resembling swimming pools, bushland at back - now swamp! They reckon it'll ease by Sunday
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:00 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Yep hurrah for energex recently putting in underground power! Its been on and off throughout day, winds and rain back with avengence, hubby on duty and sending impressive pictures via camera phone of Noosa river - will try and download them. Basically Noosa river now extends across Hilton and Gympie terraces, across road and towards the shops, they've had to do a few rescues with the SES, stranded people in stranded, sunken cars. He took his 4wd to work and said water was up to top of tyres.

My rain water monitor is now on an impressive 556mm, emptied it a day ago so thats pretty good! Gardens front and back now resembling swimming pools, bushland at back - now swamp! They reckon it'll ease by Sunday
Low lying areas of Noosa highly likely to flood tonight.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...89-952,00.html
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Our place is a torrent - have a little creek running through but now it's like a big river with white rapids covering half our land!!
Funny, hospital rang me today to offer me two full shifts on a weekend!!
I thought about it, because it's unusual to be offered weekend shifts as a casual because of the penalty rates (private hospital). My first thought was, Oh no - bet they have norovirus & all nurses off sick so phoned a friend to investigate - but they don't.
I now figure, looking at the road closures, that staff can't get there.
Hope I can I've got $$$$ signs in my eyes
Seriously, although I only have to drive up the sunshine motorway, I'm getting a bit concerned now, as the rain seems to be getting heavier.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Hervey Bay got an absolute smashing late this morning, never seen wind and rain like it. Only just got power back, lots of trees and power lines down. One of the local delivery guys got a wheelie bin through his windscreen. Weird thing was it came out of nowhere, one minute dead calm, next minute whoosh! Only damage we had at home was a lot of water under the front door.

Note to self, get door seal strip out back of cupboard and fit immediately!!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Note to self at 5 to 5 ring suncorp and renew house insurance as i had let it lapse
donna
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

News on sunshine coast has just said stay home unless you really HAVE to go out. Think they are expecting a lot more roads to go under.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
Hervey Bay got an absolute smashing late this morning, never seen wind and rain like it. Only just got power back, lots of trees and power lines down. One of the local delivery guys got a wheelie bin through his windscreen. Weird thing was it came out of nowhere, one minute dead calm, next minute whoosh! Only damage we had at home was a lot of water under the front door.

OMG i could have wriiten this post!!!!

Door seals i mean. We had a river running under ours this afternoon!!!!

Plus our power was off for 4 hours. Just back on so hubby need`nt think he is getting anything cooked tonight. china Perl here we come!!!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
Our place is a torrent - have a little creek running through but now it's like a big river with white rapids covering half our land!!
I thought about it, because it's unusual to be offered weekend shifts as a casual because of the penalty rates (private hospital). My first thought was, Oh no - bet they have norovirus & all nurses off sick so phoned a friend to investigate - but they don't.
I now figure, looking at the road closures, that staff can't get there.
Hope I can I've got $$$$ signs in my eyes
Seriously, although I only have to drive up the sunshine motorway, I'm getting a bit concerned now, as the rain seems to be getting heavier.
Maureen don't you go anywhere!!!! Mark says its really dangerous, they've been advising everyone to just spend the next 48hrs at home! Problem is I've spent the last 4 days at home! Eumundi is just shocking, no way on Tuesday I could get the kids to school, that was at the start of the week! Just get a nice bottle of red, a good DVD and chill on the sofa. Oh and don't let Barry do any DIY!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
News on sunshine coast has just said stay home unless you really HAVE to go out. Think they are expecting a lot more roads to go under.
David Low Hwy closed due to road collapse between Peregian and Sunshine Beaches, access via Noosa but roads closed through there too!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi All

omg, Hope you all OK.

We are arriving in two weeks to check out area, possibly live

Is this normal weather for winter. Were looking at Gympie, Maryborough areas.

Jane
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not normal weather for winter. Should be very very dry. This is what we expect for summer but we had a really dry summer this year (and many previous) so whilst it's a nightmare the rain is very very welcome - providing enough people have tanks and the rain falls on the dams.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:37 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella

Hervey Bay got hit hard and fast, caught everyone out with its suddenness; lots of damage up there to house and property. Also lots of concern about unstable trees. The may look OK, but the rain may well have loosened the roots and they can fall at any time. SES are out doing what they can but please beware of trees, even if they look OK.

Originally Posted by kitty4

If you have a creek on your property watch it carefully as the levels everywhere up that way are predicted to rise sharply over the next couple of days.
And as Jad n Rich said, please don't drive unless you HAVE to - trees are still coming down and rivers are rising and flooding roads.

We (Dept Emergency Services) are working all weekend coordinating the recovery work and the emphasis at present is on watching the rivers rise and preparing for inevitable flooding. .
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'd just like to wish all you guys the very best of ... and hope this storm weather and flooding doesn't wreak all you have and that you all keep safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.