Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

Originally Posted by chopsface
yeh it's a wee bit muddy!
We're at the back end of Peregian nr Verrierdale, 10 mins Noosa. Kids go to Eumundi school - well they haven't been for a few days as no bugger can get there! Making my middle one play his clarinet! Hot choc, cake and clarinet lessons! Supposed to be photographing the Eumundi bodyart festival tomorrow, do you reckon anyone will dare to bare with it blowing a gale????
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:21 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

reminds me of manchester
Funny you should say that, I was walking through Brisbane yesterday in the damp and 'cold' on my way back to the car and I caught one of those smells ...

Y'know, the smells that remind you of some long-forgotten place and time shared with a person whose life has inevitably changed beyond recognition in the passing of time.

And it was Butlins at Bognor on an extremely wet Bank Holiday weekend a good few years ago ... it was most disconcerting then and now ... but the moment soon passed.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

there are some great photos here:

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2007...-storm-damage/

This one even has a "ghostly orb"

Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
oooooooo spooky! Wheres Yvette Fielding??? My friend invited me out to take pictures of 'the rain' - I kindly declined, would much rather stay indoors and watch it from a leaky window, now without screens! Mark still not back, honestly you give a bloke a simple job to do......get food as hungry and he disappears off for ages! Should I be worried?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:31 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

And they say the Dams are getting very little

We live in the catchment and have had 120mm in the last week so not sure whats going on.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:08 am

chopsface will become famous soon enoughchopsface will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by themerlin

We live in the catchment and have had 120mm in the last week so not sure whats going on.
why is that always the way, it rains for days and they still say it didn't make it to the dam! all this rain is for nothing? Is Mark back yet?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

why is that always the way, it rains for days and they still say it didn't make it to the dam! all this rain is for nothing? Is Mark back yet?
He's back!!! Complete with loadsa chocolate and some doritos! Rain definately eased, but he said the roads are really bad, apparently theres a few sunken cars near the golf course! Have you made that cake yet?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:16 am

chopsface will become famous soon enoughchopsface will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by glittababe
He's back!!! Complete with loadsa chocolate and some doritos! Rain definately eased, but he said the roads are really bad, apparently theres a few sunken cars near the golf course! Have you made that cake yet?
no, i've got a baby she wouldn't give me a minute, then my son came back from daycare and now i've got no chance. At least your precious cargo got back safely! Still waiting for the estate agents to send someone about the ceiling.......it will probably cave in.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:16 am

A weather guy said on the radio this morning that the run-off into Somerset Dam was looking pretty promising this time around and Brisbane might get another month's worth overall.

But as usual it needs a certain amount of rain to saturate the ground before run-off will happen (30 to 40mm, from memory).

It needs a major (prolonged) rain event to top-up the dams and as welcome as these couple of days are it just isn't enough.

It really does need a PROPER cyclone to dump on us. Unwelcome as that prospect is safety-wise.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Weve had a huge buttress root tree about 30 metres high come down, it had 2 forks in it, they went different ways, feel lucky this year, it was a couple of years back we had a smaller tree than that wreck a roof.

Rain guage, tipped between 60 and 100 ml a day out since it started days ago now, emptied it myself this morning and its filled 60 ml since then, one area up here had 600ml (uks average rainfall) in the last 24 hours, think they might have said boreen point but it was on 92.7 radio anyway.

Roads as always have washed out leaving crater size potholes to smash your cars, like dodgems avoiding cars V potholes this morning. Point cartwright is interesting one stretch has more sand in the road than on the beach.

Edit, sounds like it was 713ml in 24 hours at rainbow beach, courier mail.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 24th 2007 at 2:42 am.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:48 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

They said 300mm would fill it.

Well should be a wet summer this year so fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
It needs a major (prolonged) rain event to top-up the dams and as welcome as these couple of days are it just isn't enough.

It really does need a PROPER cyclone to dump on us. Unwelcome as that prospect is safety-wise.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Edit, sounds like it was 713ml in 24 hours at rainbow beach, courier mail.
713 at Rainbow Beach is the highest figure we've heard here.
Biggest danger is the flooding now with all the rivers and creeks on alert. Plus we are sending SES teams up from Brisbane to help with tree removal aas well as sandbagging
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
713 at Rainbow Beach is the highest figure we've heard here.
Biggest danger is the flooding now with all the rivers and creeks on alert. Plus we are sending SES teams up from Brisbane to help with tree removal aas well as sandbagging
I was right, all went quiet for a bit then it started again! Have towels all across the living room, unplugged the electrics, have eaten cakes and doritos, feeling a tad sicky now My sister sent some pressies for the boys for a rainy day, pain your own mugs - not sure I can be arsed to watch them spread paint everywhere. Might go for a dip in my new pool!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by glittababe
I was right, all went quiet for a bit then it started again! Have towels all across the living room, unplugged the electrics, have eaten cakes and doritos, feeling a tad sicky now My sister sent some pressies for the boys for a rainy day, pain your own mugs - not sure I can be arsed to watch them spread paint everywhere. Might go for a dip in my new pool!
ooooooo thought it was bad http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20795.html
Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:12 am

They said 300mm would fill it.

Well should be a wet summer this year so fingers crossed.
Indeed so, here's hoping there'll be umbrella etiquette schools making a mint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.