Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

For anyone in Brisbane - Severe thunderstorms on their way.

For anyone in Brisbane - Severe thunderstorms on their way.

Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:08 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default For anyone in Brisbane - Severe thunderstorms on their way.

From http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20041.txt
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for Damaging Winds, Large Hailstones and Very Heavy Rainfall
For people in the
Southeast Coast district
Issued at 5:00 pm on Friday 21 January 2005

Thunderstorms are occurring in southern parts of the Southeast Coast district.
Some of these storms are likely to be severe, producing damaging wind gusts,
large hailstones, and very heavy rainfall.

At 4:50pm an area of strong thunderstorms near and to the west of Boonah was
moving northeast at 30 km/h. Locations at risk during the next hour include
Ipswich and southern Brisbane suburbs.

Thunderstorms in the southern Wide Bay and Burnett district have weakened, while
the main area of storms has moved out of the Darling Downs and Granite Belt
district. The warning for these two districts is CANCELLED.

The State Emergency Service advises that people in the affected area should:

· seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees
· avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm
· put vehicles under cover
· secure loose outdoor items
· beware of fallen trees and powerlines

Contact the SES, listed under either State Emergency Service or your local
council in the White Pages, for emergency assistance if required.

The next warning is due to be issued by 6:00 pm

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and State Emergency
Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.
You can go & look at the progress at http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/ID...op.shtml#image
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:18 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: For anyone in Brisbane - Severe thunderstorms on their way.

Do you notice how, on the Radar map, the bad weather breaks apart as it heads for Victoria Point, and goes below us, and above us, but avoids us
The same happened with the last storm.

Mind you, I am now watching that 2nd front, to see if that does the same

Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:27 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Do you notice how, on the Radar map, the bad weather breaks apart as it heads for Victoria Point, and goes below us, and above us, but avoids us
The same happened with the last storm.

Mind you, I am now watching that 2nd front, to see if that does the same
It looks like the first front has turned northwards & passing over the west of Brisbane (Gap/Samford way). The second one looks like it may come this way, but then so did the first.

After madly running around securing everything we havent had anything so far. Im sitting on my verandah watching it, its fine as long as it doesnt come too far this way!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:13 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Bugger, there goes the Cricket.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Bugger, there goes the Cricket.
Sod the cricket, there goes the girly drinking night. I shall sit in the pub on my own and drink till I fall over. There is a label on my jacket with the address of The Bloke, hopefully someone will put me in a cab at some point.
Brisbane Girls Drinking Club is hereby dissolved.
Night all.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:14 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sod the cricket, there goes the girly drinking night. I shall sit in the pub on my own and drink till I fall over. There is a label on my jacket with the address of The Bloke, hopefully someone will put me in a cab at some point.
Brisbane Girls Drinking Club is hereby dissolved.
Night all.

why - what happened to the others? I thought apart from me and one other they were all making it?

anyway, I just got back in from dinner, the storm is pretty cool over towards the west. Lots of ground strikes in the distance... so that will be the rest of my night in (and no cricket either as a bonus - sorry Bordy!!)
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:47 am
Swiss, in Brisbane

Barbara_CH is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I so need it to cool down! Hot..hot..hot..Please big storm, come to the city! And stop the cricket..there is enough sport on telly at the moment with the australian open.

Polly: I am so sorry I couldn't make it tonight. Let's plan the next one a few weeks ahaid...a big one!

Last edited by Barbara_CH; Jan 21st 2005 at 9:52 am.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:52 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Barbara_CH
I so need it to cool down! Hot..hot..hot..Please big storm, come past the city! And stop the cricket..there is enough sport on telly at the moment with the australian open.

Polly: I am so sorry I couldn't make it tonight. Let's plan the next one a few weeks ahaid...a big one!

Storm is right over my house

I'm watching channel 10, girlie movie on
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:53 am
Swiss, in Brisbane

Barbara_CH is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Storm is right over my house

I'm watching channel 10, girlie movie on
I know, I was going to watch it but missed the beginning. Should get myself a glass of wine and try to catch up!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 11:05 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by Barbara_CH
I know, I was going to watch it but missed the beginning. Should get myself a glass of wine and try to catch up!

I had no choice in the end anyway - the storm knocked out my internet 12 hours without the expats.... had to console myself with a 12km run this morning
Old Jan 21st 2005, 11:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I had no choice in the end anyway - the storm knocked out my internet 12 hours without the expats.... had to console myself with a 12km run this morning
What storm ?

It missed us again, but I saw the light show that must have been hitting the northern areas

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 2:32 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

What storm ?

It missed us again, but I saw the light show that must have been hitting the northern areas
That is all that it was here, and have seen better light shows than last night. Had more water on the concrete from a/con than rain.

As a storm I think it was a fizzer.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 4:11 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

i dont know about brissy but canberra had it's share of them these last few days too. i've never seen sky so black and rain so hard. lucky we missed all the 1 inch hale though.

why is it you never have your camera when anything exciting happens?
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 4:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Ipswich & west got hit fairly badly apparently. Absolutely nothing at our place apart from the light show. From here it was spectacular!
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 5:01 am
part-time Visa Angel!

What storm ?

likewise - 15min downpour and the rain was all over. Light show went on for four hours though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.