Reload this Page >

Financial issues for migrants

Financial issues for migrants

Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Scoofy will become famous soon enough
Default Financial issues for migrants

Hi everyone,

I have more been an observer of this forum rather than an active poster, and have gotten a lot of valuable info out of it. We (my partner and I) migrated to Australia 4 years ago on a skilled migration visa, and we have been loving every minute of our stay here.

However, I remember how daunting it was from a financial point of view when we first arrived here: looking for a job, wanting to buy a house and trying to make the most of the money we made.

We had no idea how our income was being taxed, how to choose a super fund, whether we should keep our overseas investments, transfer our pension fund to Australia, etc.

I wasn’t until I started working in financial planning that all of the above started to make some sense. And in the past 2.5 years I have been dealing (professionally) with migrants from different countries, all facing the same issues as us when we first arrived.

That’s why I have been thinking for a while about organising informal information sessions on these topics. I am not a spruiker and would not be selling products or providing individual advice, but would like to share what I have learned and experienced over the past few years.

So I’m really just gauging your interest on these topics (buying a house, taxation, what to do with UK pension and investments, superannuation, etc) and would be happy to liven up some get-togethers with my boring stuff

BTW, I live in Perth’s northern suburbs

Cheers, Scoofy
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial issues for migrants

Originally Posted by Scoofy
Hi everyone,

I have more been an observer of this forum rather than an active poster, and have gotten a lot of valuable info out of it. We (my partner and I) migrated to Australia 4 years ago on a skilled migration visa, and we have been loving every minute of our stay here.

However, I remember how daunting it was from a financial point of view when we first arrived here: looking for a job, wanting to buy a house and trying to make the most of the money we made.

We had no idea how our income was being taxed, how to choose a super fund, whether we should keep our overseas investments, transfer our pension fund to Australia, etc.

I wasn’t until I started working in financial planning that all of the above started to make some sense. And in the past 2.5 years I have been dealing (professionally) with migrants from different countries, all facing the same issues as us when we first arrived.

That’s why I have been thinking for a while about organising informal information sessions on these topics. I am not a spruiker and would not be selling products or providing individual advice, but would like to share what I have learned and experienced over the past few years.

So I’m really just gauging your interest on these topics (buying a house, taxation, what to do with UK pension and investments, superannuation, etc) and would be happy to liven up some get-togethers with my boring stuff

BTW, I live in Perth’s northern suburbs

Cheers, Scoofy

What's a spruiker?...Can I get it from the chemist

Sorry, just joking but on a serious note, I am on my first few days as a 457 and trust me life ain't fun when it comes to money stuff!!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Syedney
What's a spruiker?...Can I get it from the chemist

Sorry, just joking but on a serious note, I am on my first few days as a 457 and trust me life ain't fun when it comes to money stuff!!
And a 457 is very different to a PR, on the financial side.

Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

exactly, there are a lot of other issues to consider if you are on a temporary visa.

'spuiker' is used here in Oz as a person who sells dodgy stuuf, including investments
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:49 am
ABCDiamond

exactly, there are a lot of other issues to consider if you are on a temporary visa.

'spuiker' is used here in Oz as a person who sells dodgy stuuf, including investments
It is also commonly used to describe those people outside shops advertising the goods that the shops sell.

spruiker
noun Australia
Definition:

1. salesperson: a salesperson who addresses passing members of the public from the door of a shop, bar, or other establishment

2. public speaker: somebody who promotes goods, services, or a cause by addressing people in a public place

Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

anyway, I'm not one of those
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Great idea. definitely interested , esp life assurances, pensions. It seems even our financial advisor who sold us the insurance in the first place doesn't seem to know. Obviously he hasn't come across many emigrants in his time !

Ozbaz
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

I'd be interested too. Going out on Student Visas with the hope of PR but we have investment income here to consider too.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Idlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really nice

Would definately be interested!!

We'll be in Perth from August, and have pensions super annuations etc since we're both just in our 40's; all the advice and tips and explanations we can get would be gratefully recieved (might even throw a beer in there!!)
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, all of you, thanks for replying and expressing your interest. We have quite a bit of experience in dealing with migrants at work, and I will do my best to tell you about my personal experiences as a migrant and also provide you with a bit more in-depth information from a technical point of view.

Any idea on how to best organise this? Should we organise a get-together, or would it be easier to meet one-on-one?

Scoofy
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, all of you, thanks for replying and expressing your interest. We have quite a bit of experience in dealing with migrants at work, and I will do my best to tell you about my personal experiences as a migrant and also provide you with a bit more in-depth information from a technical point of view.

Any idea on how to best organise this? Should we organise a get-together, or would it be easier to meet one-on-one?

Scoofy

Start with a web site to let people know about your services and to collect interested parties details.

Then let us all know about the address of the site!!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Syedney,

that's an excellent idea, but unofrtunately i do not have the time nor the skills to start a website

is there another way on the forum or via word of mouth maybe to get a few people together?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney,

that's an excellent idea, but unofrtunately i do not have the time nor the skills to start a website

is there another way on the forum or via word of mouth maybe to get a few people together?

You could write an article on the whole subject and posted in the articles section, not forgetting to add your contact details there for people to get in touch with you.

Failing this you could wear some pink underwear and fluffy pink hat and stand in the middle of the Perth...

I am sure soon enough you'll get the publicity you're seeking!!!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

nice one