Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Any Firefighters here?

Any Firefighters here?

Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any Firefighters here?

Hi
just wanted to know if you found it hard work getting into the Oz fire service or whether you change occupations completely?
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

hindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nice
Default Re: Any Firefighters here?

Hi
My husband is a Retained Firefighter here in the UK. He is changing jobs completely when we get there Aug/Sept 07.
When we went on our reccy last year we spoke to some Firefighters and they said it wasn't that easy. You first had to do voluntary work of some kind as well as voluntary Firefighting, then you had some tests to go through which you pay for yourself. After all this you can apply if you have passed, and you will be posted somewhere that no one else wants, then after you have proved yourself you can then apply to be nearer your home town when a vacancy comes up.
i hope this gives you some idea, one good thing is that there is no age limit to applying, even at 40+ you are still allowed.
We stopped 2 firefighters while they were shopping at Coles for chocolate bars, they were really nice and friendly and from Queensland.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light

What state did you find that info from? And thanks.

JOHN
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

hindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nice

Queensland
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

There is a website that gives you all the info you need and a list of stations and tests you need to do.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 8:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

www.fire.qld.gov.au
www.cfa.vic.gov.au
www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au

are a few fire related sites I have bookmarked. Each State has its own rules for recruiting so you really need to contact the one that you are moving to.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:01 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
www.fire.qld.gov.au
www.cfa.vic.gov.au
www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au

are a few fire related sites I have bookmarked. Each State has its own rules for recruiting so you really need to contact the one that you are moving to.
Love the user title Polly!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Victorian CFA and MFB are recruiting now. I've applied for both.

Ideal age would probably be 30s with a trunk license, bit of life experience.

Aot of guys I know fail or dread the aerobic tests, you need this as well as functional strength to get through the tests.

Previous UK experience just may not count for much. I know one bloke who eventually got a instructor's job.

The country or outer brigades physical tests are slightly easier, if similar, with the Mets seeming to have the highest selection criteria. WA's if I recall seemed a bit easier than VIC MFB but comparable to VIC CFA. You start out with a written test - the score here ranks you into a pool from which they draw on for panel selection.

I also know women who have the tests.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 18th 2007 at 12:38 am. Reason: more detail
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:32 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Love the user title Polly!
suck
Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:35 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
suck
Not sure if this is meant for me or for Polly, either way its a little out of place for this thread dont you think.
If you want to stalk me then post in TIO or the lounge, i will un-subscribe to this thread for fear of it being hijacked to join me elsewhere ok?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
suck
Like Rugbymatt, I don't know which of us your offensive post is meant for, and it doesn't really matter which of us. The fact is that it is offensive. Your posts on other threads today/tonight have been similarly antagonistic, and it will not be tolerated.
Please take this as a final warning to be less abusive.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

task is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nice

Originally Posted by mr luvpants
Hi
just wanted to know if you found it hard work getting into the Oz fire service or whether you change occupations completely?
you've got more chance of becoming a space man than a FF in oz
had all the tests and they ar'nt interested,14yrs experience in uk it beggars belief.A country with plenty of fires and they dont want anyone that is already trained to a high standard.
Maybe thats the problem we are to experienced,and will find out how little they know about the real world of firefighting.
good luck task (soon back to uk)
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:05 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by task
A country with plenty of fires and they dont want anyone that is already trained to a high standard.
They want you, they just won't pay you to do it for a living. Here in South Australia there are over 16,000 volunteer firefighters and over 430 brigades, compared to the 35 brigades with paid firefighters.

There are hundreds of applicants for each advertised job as a paid firefighter. They really don't need to import the skills. Presumably they prefer to train someone from scratch and start them on the lowest rung of the salary ladder than re-train an experienced person.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

task is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nice

Originally Posted by welshpom
They want you, they just won't pay you to do it for a living. Here in South Australia there are over 16,000 volunteer firefighters and over 430 brigades, compared to the 35 brigades with paid firefighters.

There are hundreds of applicants for each advertised job as a paid firefighter. They really don't need to import the skills. Presumably they prefer to train someone from scratch and start them on the lowest rung of the salary ladder than re-train an experienced person.
I maybe your right i dont fancy working all week then being a volunteer.
no life springs to mind.i gave it my best shot but the life style in oz is not for me so maybe its an omen.
a few months left to enjoy the sights.
task