Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Advice on severe weather please?

Advice on severe weather please?

Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

The Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant future
Default Advice on severe weather please?

Hi everyone,

We really like the Gold Coast, although we'd also consider living in a Brisbane city 'suburb' like Toowong...I've been really worried by the news of the recent storms and severe damage though. I think my family would be very scared by huge thunderstorms, damaging winds, incredible lightning and flooding - I read on the Internet last night that Brisbane was delcared a 'natural disaster area' not too long ago, which sounds serious to me.
Mind you, I'm also scared rigid by the thought of bushfires in the northern suburbs of Sydney, another are we'd seriously considered living.

Maybe I'm not actually tough enough for Australia and am just a soft southern pom?
Does anyone else have these kinds of worries?

Is there anywhere I can go around Brisbane or in fact, in Australia, where these severe events happen less often or even where it is more sheltered somehow from the worst of the damage when these things happen? What is it like living there and living through this stuff (hopes that its not so bad as the news articles make it out to be....!).

I'm even starting to think I should have considered Auckland more and applied for that Visa and not Aus, maybe the weather is calmer there...
Any advice would be welcomed...
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on severe weather please?

Originally Posted by The Gold Gang
Hi everyone,

We really like the Gold Coast, although we'd also consider living in a Brisbane city 'suburb' like Toowong...I've been really worried by the news of the recent storms and severe damage though
I live in Toowong.

We have had some good storms but very little damage done...a lot of rain and some lightning strikes and flooding but no more than you would get anywhere.

The Gap got hit badly recently by a severe storm (it is about 4 miles away as the crow flies). There was a fair amount of damage but these events are pretty rare.

Fire is a much worse hazard if you live in a fire prone area.

I think you are worrying needlessly.

G
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

The Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant future

Hi Grayling,

Thanks for your reply. Whats it like living in Toowing then? I have four kids so it might not seem like an obvious family destination, however, we quite fancy living so close to where we would work and I fancy the idea of the safe, manmade beach for the kids.
Also I think in Toowong, there are some nice cafes and pubs - is that right?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Should be OK fire wise if you live somewhere that hasn't got too many trees.....
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Grayling,

Thanks for your reply. Whats it like living in Toowing then? I have four kids so it might not seem like an obvious family destination, however, we quite fancy living so close to where we would work and I fancy the idea of the safe, manmade beach for the kids.
Also I think in Toowong, there are some nice cafes and pubs - is that right?
Toowong is vey nice.....an established suburb very close to the city with two big shopping centres very close by.

Houses tend to be older 'queenslander' types but, be warned, it is an expensive suburb.

I tend not to bother with the pubs as Australian pubs really don't do it for me

The Regatta and the Royal exchange are famous old pubs but not for me

It is only one stop on the City Cat (Ferry) to Southbank (where the manmade beach is ) from the Regatta.

Don't know much about the cafes but all the facilities you need are close by including a megaplex cinema at Indooroopilly.

I live in the west of the suburb on the edge of Mount Coot-tha and the botanical gardens which suits us fine.

Commuting is easy as there is the city cat and the train as well as several buses....fortunately I don't have to......Brisbane's traffic can be a nightmare hence the popularity of the close by sburbs.

There are several good schools in the area but I don't know much about them.

All in all a good place to live but at least an hour, on a good day, to the nearest decent beach (Gold coast or Bribie ) if that is important.

G
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Should be OK fire wise if you live somewhere that hasn't got too many trees.....
Lots of trees round Toowong though (Brisbane forest).

G
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Do you get fires in Brisbane forest then?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:21 am
Bitter and twisted

Do you get fires in Brisbane forest then?
Too many storms

My house has been standing since the 1930's and has survived so far.

Bush fires tend to be much worse in the drier states and in drier years.

Small fires are inevitable as most Australian trees depend on them to survive.

It is not really a big concern in most of Brisbane.

Most suburbs are well established and not really in the forest....more on the edge.

G
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

We really like the Gold Coast, although we'd also consider living in a Brisbane city 'suburb' like Toowong...I've been really worried by the news of the recent storms and severe damage though. I think my family would be very scared by huge thunderstorms, damaging winds, incredible lightning and flooding - I read on the Internet last night that Brisbane was delcared a 'natural disaster area' not too long ago, which sounds serious to me.
Mind you, I'm also scared rigid by the thought of bushfires in the northern suburbs of Sydney, another are we'd seriously considered living.

Maybe I'm not actually tough enough for Australia and am just a soft southern pom?

Is there anywhere I can go around Brisbane or in fact, in Australia, where these severe events happen less often or even where it is more sheltered somehow from the worst of the damage when these things happen? What is it like living there and living through this stuff (hopes that its not so bad as the news articles make it out to be....!).

I'm even starting to think I should have considered Auckland more and applied for that Visa and not Aus, maybe the weather is calmer there...
Some links for you -

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld
http://www.bsch.au.com/

www.disasters.qld.gov.au

and for the recent Brisbane storms -
http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/cy...20081116.shtml
Part of the process for getting State and Federal funding involves Declaration of a Disaster area, so it often sounds more dreadful and widespread than it is, although I have to say that was the worst week Brisbane has had for sometime.
More recently the north took a pounding as well
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/g...-17382,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/i...018248,00.html covers the best/worst of the season so far.........
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

yes, yes, yes. I'm due to fly to Cairns on 10 Feb and Ive been reading about the floods that they've had recently - some of the pics are bad.

I've been beginning to think that im not cut out for Queensland (esp when you add all the poisonous creepie crawlies, snakes, mozzies and stingers to the equation) and whether I should back out or not. The only things that are stopping me are that; ive got a job lined up in Cairns and ive quit my current job in the UK so i'd be jobless with no income.

My sis lives in Auckland and Im constantly thinking that i should regret not going there instead.

My advice is (this is what people keep telling me); see it all as part of the 'adventure' when there is a storm/heavy rain, something like youve never seen in the UK, then go out and dance - embrace the severity of the weather...
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:55 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
yes, yes, yes. I'm due to fly to Cairns on 10 Feb and Ive been reading about the floods that they've had recently - some of the pics are bad.

I've been beginning to think that im not cut out for Queensland (esp when you add all the poisonous creepie crawlies, snakes, mozzies and stingers to the equation) and whether I should back out or not. The only things that are stopping me are that; ive got a job lined up in Cairns and ive quit my current job in the UK so i'd be jobless with no income.

My sis lives in Auckland and Im constantly thinking that i should regret not going there instead.

My advice is (this is what people keep telling me); see it all as part of the 'adventure' when there is a storm/heavy rain, something like youve never seen in the UK, then go out and dance - embrace the severity of the weather...
Just read the advice and listen to the locals - plenty of info around on living in flood-prone areas, and cyclone zones, so make sure you keep your emergency kit ready, and half an eye on the weather during the season
Have a look at www.disasters.qld.gov.au and you'll find hints on how to keep your house as cyclone-proof as possible and stuff like that - doesn't remove the risks altogether, but does help to mitigate them.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Pony, a woman of wise words; I was thinking of emailing new employer with this - do you think its too caring and unprofessional? - remember Im a Pom and should have a stiff upper lip...Should I mention the company and say something like, 'I hope it hasnt affected the economy of the area and your business productivity too much'

"Hi XXX

I have been following the news of Cyclone Charlotte and the destruction that it has caused to Cairns. I would like to offer you my best wishes and hope that the severe weather has not too adversely affected yourself or your family.

Kind regards

YYY"
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:39 pm
Home and Happy

Pony, a woman of wise words; I was thinking of emailing new employer with this - do you think its too caring and unprofessional? - remember Im a Pom and should have a stiff upper lip...Should I mention the company and say something like, 'I hope it hasnt affected the economy of the area and your business productivity too much'

"Hi XXX

I have been following the news of Cyclone Charlotte and the destruction that it has caused to Cairns. I would like to offer you my best wishes and hope that the severe weather has not too adversely affected yourself or your family.

Kind regards

YYY"
I guess you could, shows that you are aware of the weather up there, keeping abreast of local news and stuff. A lot of houses and businesses were flooded - you may well find that they have suffered some damage. Even though floods are more common up there, its still traumatic when it happens. If you have a reasonably comfortable relationship with the employer it might be a nice touch - Aussies usually rally round when disasters like this hit so community spirit is always a good quality to show!

If you have time, have a look at this in the BE articles - http://britishexpats.com/articles/australia/bumpy-ride/
Framac67 and his family were hit by the floods in Mackay early last year.

Glad you think the words are wise - I work in disaster management, so its a real passion of mine, and any info that makes people more aware of the hazards and risks of nature is good
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you have time, have a look at this in the BE articles - http://britishexpats.com/articles/australia/bumpy-ride/
Framac67 and his family were hit by the floods in Mackay early last year.
I've just read all four pages of the 'bumpy ride' story. It makes me realise how lucky i am. My heart really goes out to that family. Thanks for making me realise the dangers of floods and how there are worse things that happen to people besides a little bit of water and a few insect bites.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm....not sure I'm going to be outside dancing around when the lightning is crackling....

Have you been to Auckland?

I saw it on TV this morning for the first time, on Wanted Down Under, and it looks very nice. On the other hand, I've been to Brisbane twice and I do really like it. Plus we (me, OH, four kids) already have PR Visas for Aus and can live anywhere we like there. But I am also bothered by all the scary wildlife in Queensland, same as you!

As you've already got a job in Cairns, it would be daft not to give it a try there don't you think? Also unemployment in NZ is getting higher each month, and people there are saying it could be 7.5% soon so getting a job might not be that easy...

I wish you luck! I'd love to know how you get on in Cairns...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.