Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with you?

What's wrong with you?

Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:28 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's wrong with you?

You know when someone says, "how are you" and you say "I'm fine thank-you" even though you feel like crap, but you say you're well because you know they don't want to know that you're not?

Well, I do.

In fact, from now on, I'm not going to say "how are you" anymore. I'm going to march right up and say "What's wrong with you?"

I understand this may prove a little perplexing when I next greet my GP, Dr. Halftrained... but this will be outweighed by the probability it will be appropriate next time I answer the phone.

In the meantime, what's wrong with you today?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:41 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with you?

What I want to eat and what I am allowed by the diet police commissioner (aka my other half) are so far apart you need a spaceship to get to. It causes me a severe emotional distress and slight foaming at the mouth when I think of food for too long. Just decided to let y'all know because my little hungry noises don't amuse anyone here any more
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee

Nothing

(someone frame this post quick)
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:23 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

You know when someone says, "how are you" and you say "I'm fine thank-you" even though you feel like crap, but you say you're well because you know they don't want to know that you're not?

Well, I do.

In fact, from now on, I'm not going to say "how are you" anymore. I'm going to march right up and say "What's wrong with you?"

I understand this may prove a little perplexing when I next greet my GP, Dr. Halftrained... but this will be outweighed by the probability it will be appropriate next time I answer the phone.

Well, had an absolute pants day at work, which meant that rather than going to put some diesel in the car and some shopping while the kids were at an afterschool party, I had to stay behind and catch up on work - may have to go in early and finish late tomorrow too Just because I keep getting constantly interrupted with stuff and it's not stuff I can say **** off to, because it's all stuff I'm responsible for And cos I'm off next week,I have to try to get everything sorted before I go because otherwise I'll have even more shite to put up with when I get back.

Lassie had an almightly tantrum when we got back home from which she has only just calmed down from.

I am STILL taking antibiotics, which means I can't really have a drink tonight (well maybe a little one)

The chocolate egg I started last night really isn't as nice as I hoped it would be but I will have to finish it off to make sure.

HUbby is home tonight whch means I will get woken up when he comes in, won't be able to get back to sleep and will feel like crap tomorrow

Well, you DID ask
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I find it hard, as I have MS, but really don't feel like going into all my symptoms, so I usually say "fine thanks", unless they are a very close friend. At work I have to pretend to be all energetic even if I feel like crap, so my job is not put under threat.

Today I'm not in a good mood- my right leg is playing up and I have balance issues. The garden is full of holes from rabbits/bandicoots, and the mulch and chilli powder had no effect. So I've got to get out there, fill the holes in, try to get the lawn sorted (there are about 100 holes in that too) and see if I can net the beds where most of the damage is occurring.
All without falling over.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You really don't want to know.

I have never felt the need to say 'good thanks' when asked how I am. If I'm not good I tend to say 'crap actually but not to worry' or words to that effect. If I am good, then I say 'good thanks', if I'm in a brilliant mood and feeling well, I'm likely to say 'excellent thanks'. I like to assume that when someone asks me, they mean it, I may be naive but I prefer to think good of people, assume they're like me, until they actually prove they are uninterested idiots.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My foot's sore
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:01 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I'm dehydrated.

Easily solved at least.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I'm dehydrated.

Easily solved at least.
You know alcohol doesn't rehydrate you I take it?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:48 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You know alcohol doesn't rehydrate you I take it?
As well you know, I gave up the demon drink 3 months ago, Mrs.

I blame The Gorilla; leeching me dry. He takes a lot of filling, given his size.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:15 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
As well you know, I gave up the demon drink 3 months ago, Mrs.

I blame The Gorilla; leeching me dry. He takes a lot of filling, given his size.
How is the little man?

My reply at the moment is 'I've been better'.

Mostly, I feel shit, however this is alleviated by the knowledge I've given the germs to all three of the children and Himself is shaping to have it over Easter.

Misery loves company.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:29 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by Dreamy
How is the little man?

My reply at the moment is 'I've been better'.

Mostly, I feel shit, however this is alleviated by the knowledge I've given the germs to all three of the children and Himself is shaping to have it over Easter.

Misery loves company.
He's good, thank you. Growing like an absolute weed though. He'll be 14 weeks old tomorrow and currently wearing a babygrow for 12-18 month olds. (Mr GG's new nickname for him is Fat Boy. I expect we'll be giving him a dreadful complex with that one. Though, to be fair, he's mainly long, rather than chubby.)

Hope you feel better soon.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:36 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I find it hard, as I have MS, but really don't feel like going into all my symptoms, so I usually say "fine thanks", unless they are a very close friend. At work I have to pretend to be all energetic even if I feel like crap, so my job is not put under threat.

Today I'm not in a good mood- my right leg is playing up and I have balance issues. The garden is full of holes from rabbits/bandicoots, and the mulch and chilli powder had no effect. So I've got to get out there, fill the holes in, try to get the lawn sorted (there are about 100 holes in that too) and see if I can net the beds where most of the damage is occurring.
All without falling over.
That sounds like hard work. Think you should have posted this on an inspiration thread.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I do.

It's a cultural rote conversational thing...Several English as a second (or third) language friends of mine told me when they first lived in Canada, they had to learn to stop replying to the "How are you?" at the supermarket check out counter or bank counter with a list of all their ills and concerns ("I have a cold," "My back hurts actually," "Um, I have a headache")...they came from places where if someone's asking, they're genuinely interested, not any of this "I'm just asking because it's a societal convention, I can't really give a toss."

For years, hubby has wanted to say something totally outlandish to some poor customer service worker in reply, along the lines of..."I have a green toe, it looks like it's going to have to come off," "Not so good, my wife cooked all my pet bunnies and served them to me for dinner," "I found a stash of Aztec gold in my backyard but then had to hit my neighbor on the head with a shovel when he saw it."

Oh and I'm fine thanks...see...I'm a predictable little citizen...

Last edited by Japonica; Apr 15th 2011 at 3:02 am.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:56 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Nuffin. Me is perfect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.