Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on an "off topic" banter sub-forum here?

Your thoughts on an "off topic" banter sub-forum here?

Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:59 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your thoughts on an "off topic" banter sub-forum here?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
New forums can only be set up by Sue, and if there is a big enough demand I'm sure she will do it.
In the meantime, I do try and pop in to some of the threads when I can but I have a fair bit on in real life at present so I can't promise I will read everything. Best I can suggest is that you all report the really stupid stuff so that all the SuperMods can see who the troublemakers are, then we may be able to get rid of them if we see they are annoying too many other members.
Noted.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Seasider
It's all Australasia to me.

Come into the Barbie, KK. We talk as much crap there as on that other forum you and I go on.
Okey-dokey but I may need some translation sometimes - no I'm serious, there's a lot of Aussie language that I just don't get.

Australasia - now there's an interesting idea. Why not merge Far East and Australia forums? Oh that'd be fun.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:17 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

No lah, cannot - totally different migration issues.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:52 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Yes it's all getting ridiculous on here (again). Maybe see you guys in the Barbie sometime
Where is it getting ridiculous? I've gone back 4 pages of threads and have only noted two "off-topic" threads, and one of those was back in December when someone wished the FE forum Merry Christmas. We normally create a "chit-chat" sub-forum when the need arises, eg if there are constantly off-topic threads started. At present the FE forum is just not busy enough for such a forum, nor are there enough off-topic threads to justify creating one. Please know that after 10 years of being on this site I can assure you there is nothing worse than an empty forum. However, I will continue to monitor the situation.

Sue
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:36 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Sue. I think the issue is rather that sensible topics always get derailed so maybe a chat section would be useful.

I don't mind so much if derailments are light-hearted banter, and I'm often guilty of that - although I rarely start a thread and I can appreciate the OP's point of view - but recently there's been a lot of insulting stuff (as you saw) and I suspect not everyone is what they claim to be...and maybe not the obvious.

Personally, now I've moved to Oz I mainly come in the FE forum to see if I can answer any queries (especially on Singapore) but I was enjoying the increase in traffic and chat. I still identify with Asia, I miss Asia, however when it gets nasty and stays nasty, and when I start questioning who I'm talking to, well I have more fun things to do.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, not knowing anything about this forum, roughly how many regular posters are there in here?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:32 am
Auntie Fa

TBH I think we're all a bit irregular, MP. KK and I are the oldies, some others have dropped off the radar - oh and ex-reg posts a lot of great answers but doesn't really chat. Recent prolific posters - Svampbob, The Dreamer, and Legless in Bangkok. Sherpa gets about a bit, as I'm sure you know.

A few in Manila although some come on mainly to push their business ventures. There's also a rather erratic poster with at least two names and racist leanings.

A few drop in from other forums now and then, some perhaps planning a move on to Asia and some looking for travel info.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like it would be difficult to have a barbie type joint there then. Maybe you could start an OT thread and the main posters use that for the general chit chat, then if it stays near the top and is added to by all posters, it could end up being turned into it's own sub forum?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:50 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

and I suspect not everyone is what they claim to be...and maybe not the obvious.
I've already a conversation with someone else this week about this issue. I've done an extensive search and have found no evidence of any multiple users. I get the impression that people are winding each other up behind the scenes (via pm) and making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:17 am
Account Closed

well I have more fun things to do.
Absolutely Seasider. If it aint sanook it aint worth doin. See you over in the other place
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

runlikethe is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if suggestions for the name are still being taken but how about "Talk Cock", anyone familiar with Malaysia and Singapore will know that there's nothing offensive about it and that it's an expression which means "casual banter" or "idle chatter".
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:52 pm
Auntie Fa

Aiyoh, Talk Cock for what, lah? Talk nonsense, hor. (I think I just turned into my old cleaner )

I love the Talking Cock website; the dictionary is invaluable for any recent arrivals to Singapore.