Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Why no exclusive section for Vietnam ??

Why no exclusive section for Vietnam ??

Old May 27th 2013, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

daiwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why no exclusive section for Vietnam ??

Why is there no exclusive section for Vietnam info on here?
Surely there are enough people, from what I have been able to see after a bit of trawling through posts, to warant a section. Please Moderators, look into this.
I am thinking of moving from Thailand to Vietnam next year ( possibly Da Nang as I need to be near the sea nad big beches to do some kite buggying)
I need info on job prospects, cost of living, buying a car, etc etc in this area, if possible.

Last edited by daiwill; May 27th 2013 at 4:06 pm. Reason: adding info
Old May 27th 2013, 6:33 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why no exclusive section for Vietnam ??

not that many people seem to be living there full time though to be honest .
Old May 28th 2013, 2:38 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I just did a search and couldn't see many threads. I think there needs to be a lot of threads before a separate country section is set up.... at least that is my understanding.
Old May 28th 2013, 7:50 am
Just Joined

daiwill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I just did a search and couldn't see many threads. I think there needs to be a lot of threads before a separate country section is set up.... at least that is my understanding.

Thanks for the responses guys, I was just wondering that is all, but if that is the case then fair enough.

I would imagine there are plenty of expats there , but just not enough of them being British, or if there are, then they are not signed up on here, I guess.
Old May 29th 2013, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by daiwill
Thanks for the responses guys, I was just wondering that is all, but if that is the case then fair enough.

I would imagine there are plenty of expats there , but just not enough of them being British, or if there are, then they are not signed up on here, I guess.
Plenty of expats but the're all busy having fun

If you notice the Middle East is a busy forum because it's boring in this Sand pit
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

bondiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

HI,
Danang is a very Vietnamese ciry due to its relative lack of Expats & Western Tourists who go to Hoi An 30 mins south. It is growing though and I know numerous long term Viet Expats, especially those married to a Viet & have kids who have moved to Danang in the last 2 years.

The Western & Russian expat population is growing. Whether or not you will be able to Kite buggy there is debatable as the authorities are quite protective of their beach. I know of one instance a few years back in another city where a Co berthed their 2 yachts overnight in the bay 100 metres off shore & they were issued with parking tickets!!! I'm not making it up.

Danang is growing though the main tourism now is Hanoians. The Russian tourists are growing though the western tourism scene is quite slow. As i said before they go to Hoi-An 30 mins south.

job prospects
Very difficult unless you are in teaching and even then not great

cost of living
6-9 million Dong + ($290-430+) for a 2 bed house / apartment
Long term hotel - $300 ish
Beer - Tiger 25,000 Dong, $1.15, Saigon 75 cents etc
eating out - $3-10 will suffice at most places, Expat places will be more

buying a car
Unless you are a perm resident you have no chance. Believe me you wouldn't want to drive there. Motorbike hire $60-100 per month. Might be hard to find there as there isn't as much demand for them unlike HCMC, Nha Trang etc.

Hope all this helps
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:11 am
Just Joined

NZCannibal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I live in Saigon. There are loads of British expats here. Mebbe they are like me - they had never heard of this site. I'll put the word around. Vietnam will have its own thread!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:19 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NZCannibal and welcome to the forum

Forums are what you make them. If we get lots of posts on here about Vietnam, then I think we could make a good case to Sue the administrator. Yeh bring all your friends over here
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 7:14 am
Banned

steadfast is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they are having their own community in somewhat website/fb group... plus british expats, the name is kind of... are we here all british?
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 7:40 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steadfast
I think they are having their own community in somewhat website/fb group... plus british expats, the name is kind of... are we here all british?
The vast majority, or people married to British people, after all that is what the site was set up for. Originally for British people wanting to, or about to move to the US, it then expanded to cover the rest of the world, but it is aimed at British people either living abroad, wanting to, or having lived abroad, and the expertise on here is about the requirements of British people, and what they may need to move to and live in another country. It also caters for people wating to move, or move back, to the UK.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:28 am
Banned

steadfast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The vast majority, or people married to British people, after all that is what the site was set up for. Originally for British people wanting to, or about to move to the US, it then expanded to cover the rest of the world, but it is aimed at British people either living abroad, wanting to, or having lived abroad, and the expertise on here is about the requirements of British people, and what they may need to move to and live in another country. It also caters for people wating to move, or move back, to the UK.
then do you feel a bit strange at all when there are only few of us hanging around here? I guess the site is not famous enough after all.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:15 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, not enough interest to warrant a separate section yet, and no one likes an empty forum (or one with little activity) it puts people of posting. Rest assured though that we do monitor these things and once we have enough posts on Vietnam to "seed" a new sub-forum we will be happy to create one.

In the meantime feel free to post anything about Vietnam and I'm sure in time it will pull in other members who live in that country.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 2:04 am
Just Joined

ilovefashion88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same question about Why no exclusive section for Vietnam ??

To be honest, i'm a Vietnamese. And Viet Nam is one of the safest country all over the world.

The cost of living in Viet Nam is very cheap. Many foreign people travel to my country every years. A lot of them settled their new life here with local women/men. The economics of Viet Nam's fast growing in Asia.

- Sai Gon is the economical center of our country.
- Ha Noi is a peaceful capital with over a thousand years of history.
- Etc...

You guys can "Google" for Viet Nam to know more about my country.

And it's a pity if Viet Nam wasn't listed as a small Forums on our forums.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:38 am

Hi and welcome to the forum Well......you can read all the above posts to get the answer to your question.

If everyone asking the question could do lots of topics and posts, I guess it would happen. The OP who posed this question has done 2 posts on the subject Vietnam. Needs a few more.

Last edited by bakedbean; Dec 12th 2014 at 11:42 am. Reason: Added bit
Old Dec 14th 2014, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Saigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to all

no exclusive section? ..well Im with Steadfast..the roots of this forum are with the traditional sources of Brit migration US/Canada/OZ/NZ....
as the areas of migration have expanded then so has the site.
I've been living in Vietnam for now nearly 17 years, and everything then was contact by face or through people who knew each other, as the expat community was really small. It wasnt made up of retirees who needed property advice, or living conditions advice, or where to get this or that. As a long term resident, there are very few people who actually stick around, and less that settle down there - property issues to the fore on that as Foreigners cant buy a property - until 3 weeks ago when they issued a new law that says Foreigners can buy with a 50 year lease....mmmm!!
So with the demographics of Vietnam with Brits I'd say its now a lot of younger people who are travelling through and maybe spending a year or two then moving on...Also as there has been a change in the way forums/social media work. many Brits now use the FB forums especially Another Side of Vietnam - <snip>
So its a situation of changing demographics, social media etc...

Last edited by Sue; Dec 14th 2014 at 12:36 pm. Reason: As per our site rules, please do not post links to FB groups. Many thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.