Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Wannabe Expat looking for help.

Wannabe Expat looking for help.

Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:29 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wannabe Expat looking for help.

China could be good, but I would think about the weather there. Very harsh winters. Might not have work where you want it.

I still sya give Bangkok a go because there are a lot of foreigners and foreigner orientated things there which can be nice.

China moght be a bit daunting at first and it might be difficult to make friends.

Depends what kind of person you are though.

Like the poster said though you might as well go for the plunge, got nothing to lose after all and no kids to think about. I'm making my next move next year and because of the wife and kids there is a lot of planning going on.

I envy you for your freedom.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

PriMarina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Hi WB,
get yourself over to China, you will be blown away.
The perceived way of China, and what it actually is in real life, so different.
One can never really explain "China" to a person correctly or fully, so I won't even try. V.
It's just amazing that here I am reading about China.
Of course, there are pluses in this country. But you can not get used to their mentality.
The Chinese will never be honest with foreigners - they are always trying to make money, if they see a European face. It's in their blood. Cleanliness and order in China, as elsewhere only in the center. If you swerve to the side - the dirt, poverty, wretchedness, rats, cockroaches, brrrr.
If for you to live in your country it is very very bad - then yes, China can be considered.
Each time leaving China, I think that i will not go back there anymore, but as a rule, all the bad is forgotten ...

Last edited by PriMarina; Jun 11th 2011 at 6:57 am.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:40 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

If you browse through the China forum, you'll find plenty of folks enjoying the place AND the people. Check through that forum to hear from folks that are actually living there. China is the big powerhouse now. Must be some good opportunities there.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PriMarina
It's just amazing that here I am reading about China.
Of course, there are pluses in this country. But you can not get used to their mentality.
The Chinese will never be honest with foreigners - they are always trying to make money, if they see a European face. It's in their blood. Cleanliness and order in China, as elsewhere only in the center. If you swerve to the side - the dirt, poverty, wretchedness, rats, cockroaches, brrrr.
If for you to live in your country it is very very bad - then yes, China can be considered.
Each time
leaving China, I think that i will not go back there anymore, but as a rule, all the bad is forgotten ...
Mmmm, Have you been there?
I dont think so
Just 15 posts,l , I think a littl too new to make sweeping comments.

Sorry to ask, but unless you have lived here, your perspective is misaligned

So there are no the dirt, poverty, wretchedness, rats, cockroaches, brrrr.

So I take it that there are no rats In Russia ?
Don't throw stones in glass houses.
Just grow up, and post facts,

Vette

Last edited by uk_vette; Jun 11th 2011 at 4:20 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

I'm not trying to offend anyone, it's just IMHO.
I visit China several times a year, my city near China.
I also have a familiar, who live in Beijing and they like it, but i never had a desire to move to China permanently.
Do you like when at you they intently watch,
when they trying to touch you, when they do pictures with you without your consent, when they cheat with a childish immediacy, do you like when they always spit, always eat in places that are not designed for it, always smells of garlic?
do you like chaotic traffic on the roads and the absence of any rules? Do you like it? In this case this is your country or I envy your patience and indulgence.
But my opinion will not change depending on the number of my posts here.
I'm not trying to give advice, I am not a British expat.
This is IMHO and for author of topic is desirable to know about all aspects of life, not just that China is very cheap.
I apologize only for my English.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:21 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Mmmm, Have you been there?
I dont think so
Just 15 posts,l , I think a littl too new to make sweeping comments.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/906f69a0.jpg

Sorry to ask, but unless you have lived here, your perspective is misaligned

So there are no the dirt, poverty, wretchedness, rats, cockroaches, brrrr.

So I take it that there are no rats In Russia ?
Don't throw stones in glass houses.
Just grow up, and post facts,

Vette
number of post doesn't really have any reflection on how many times someone has visited a place or how well they know a place. When people join a site doesn't mean that that is when they moved to that country. Think you're being a bit unfair there. JMHO.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by PriMarina
I'm not trying to offend anyone, it's just IMHO.
I visit China several times a year, my city near China.
I also have a familiar, who live in Beijing and they like it, but i never had a desire to move to China permanently.
Do you like when at you they intently watch,
when they trying to touch you, when they do pictures with you without your consent, when they cheat with a childish immediacy, do you like when they always spit, always eat in places that are not designed for it, always smells of garlic?
do you like chaotic traffic on the roads and the absence of any rules? Do you like it? In this case this is your country or I envy your patience and indulgence.
But my opinion will not change depending on the number of my posts here.
I'm not trying to give advice, I am not a British expat.
This is IMHO and for author of topic is desirable to know about all aspects of life, not just that China is very cheap.
I apologize only for my English.
Nicely put !
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

All getting a trifle silly I think. There's cockroaches and rats in Singapore - I've seen both - but it's still a nice city and no-one dwells on those two aspects. IMHO better to look for the positives. China is a popular place but so vast - much the same as Russia. I'm sure there's good and bad areas in both countries, right? And do you cross a country off the list if there's cockroaches and rats?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean
All getting a trifle silly I think. There's cockroaches and rats in Singapore - I've seen both - but it's still a nice city and no-one dwells on those two aspects. IMHO better to look for the positives. China is a popular place but so vast - much the same as Russia. I'm sure there's good and bad areas in both countries, right? And do you cross a country off the list if there's cockroaches and rats?
Exactly, for a short while I lived in West London. I can clearly remember sitting outside a pub on Queensway five minutes walk from Hyde Park and seeing cockroaches ( albeit babies compared to their Asian brothers ) on the pavement. I don't think there are too many people crossing London off there to visit list !
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:02 am

And I forgot about the rats too. Always seeing them when waiting on the platform for the tube.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Exactly, for a short while I lived in West London. I can clearly remember sitting outside a pub on Queensway five minutes walk from Hyde Park and seeing cockroaches ( albeit babies compared to their Asian brothers ) on the pavement. I don't think there are too many people crossing London off there to visit list !
Originally Posted by nonthaburi
And I forgot about the rats too. Always seeing them when waiting on the platform for the tube.
I live just outside central Brisbane in Australia - cockroaches aplenty here and the locals seem to almost accept them. They are the big flying ones too Rats are pretty common too. The station i used to use, Fortitude Valley, was very like London's Underground in that it was dark and in a tunnel area - I called it Rat City cos you could watch them running along the lines between trains
Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

No problem.
Let me to insert a word. I met these lovely rats on the central street of Beijing - Wangfujing, but to be honest, at night.
However, if you noticed, it was one of the shortcomings. All the rest of it you would prefer not to see. But, okey...