Wannabe Expat looking for help.

Wannabe Expat looking for help.

Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:18 am
Meandering

WanderingBrit will become famous soon enough
Default Wannabe Expat looking for help.

Hey guys.

I am new here.

I have been considering getting out of this country (UK) for a while. I finished Uni with a million dreams - of course nothing happened. Lol (sob).

The hardest thing, IMO, is the research part. There is so many things to consider and many pitfalls. The thing with Expats is; even though you may be in totally different continents, the sharing of information is very important.

I am, as of yet, still deciding where to go. I think I have narrowed it down to somewhere in the far east. But tbh, I still could end up going anywhere! That's the good thing of not being tied down with kids etc (that's not to say I don't want kids, it just hasn't happened yet and maybe that's for the best if I want to emigrate.)

Like I said in the Welcome Inn, I am approaching my emigration research like a bull in a chinashop. It may not be totally productive but when I get enthused by something, I just go at it.

So if anyone has any handy links or anything like that, please share them with me. I will attempt to do the same, but there may not be any real logic behind them - I just get excited when I find a new thing.

Cheers guys and gals!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:43 pm
Meandering

Default Re: Wannabe Expat looking for help.

Hey guys.

I have spent the day doing some research. Man - there is a lot of information out there!

Sort of really overwhelmed by it all. Sort of feel sick actually from all the info I have had to digest.

One thing I have found which is really handy is this little tool:

http://blog.william-russell.com/health-risk-calculator/

It really is a good way of getting a good starting idea of what to expect if you were to get a quote for some insurance. I know insurance is quite a dull word, but trust me when I say that it is sooooooo necessary.

All today I have been doing the insurance thing. Trying to get the dullness over and done with now.

*Note for the Mods and Admin*
I may make this into it's own thread if I don't get too many views or replies as I feel that this could be a really helpful tool for anyone looking at getting themselves covered. I know this forum has a policy of deleting multiple posts, so I was just letting you know.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

What are you looking for? What skills do you have? What do you like? Have you been to Asia before? Which countries? If you've not been to Asia, take a holiday and travel around and see what you like. That's probably the first task. Have you got any ideas as to what you would like to do?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Why not put on a backpack and go forth in search. The South East Asian area is rather crowded with such folks these days,but sure there is room for another.

All too many come over to Asia with vague plans of working and it is still possible but there is more market satuation these days.

Without known what areas are of interest to you rather difficult to give suggestions.

Plenty go to China to work and many love it. Never been myself,but no folk who have made it their home and have no plans to leave.

Taiwan can be another good place. Know teachers making the bucks in Hong Kong, have met European girls whom made big money hostessing in Japan,so there a whole range of possiblities out there.

Australia and New Zealand offer work permits to fund your holiday stay and who knows where that may lead to?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 10:23 am
Meandering

Originally Posted by bakedbean
What are you looking for? What skills do you have? What do you like? Have you been to Asia before? Which countries? If you've not been to Asia, take a holiday and travel around and see what you like. That's probably the first task. Have you got any ideas as to what you would like to do?
1) A new life that will challenge me in ways that aren't possible in the UK
2) I enjoy rock music, meeting people, having a drink , helping in any way that I can.
3)Singapore - but only the airport. Lol.
4)Teach, I guess. I have a TEFL qualification. I also have a English degree.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:24 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WanderingBrit
I also have a English degree.
So it seems
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:59 pm
Meandering

Originally Posted by Seasider
So it seems
What are you saying?

I IS PERFECT AT ENGLEESH!
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:37 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I also think you should maybe travel around a bit to see what you like. Get a feel for what or where it is you want to be. SE Asia is a pretty big area . A lot of diversity.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:07 am
Meandering

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I also think you should maybe travel around a bit to see what you like. Get a feel for what or where it is you want to be. SE Asia is a pretty big area . A lot of diversity.
Yea, I have been asking about. A few of my friends have been around that area and so been getting info off them.

Problem is that they all see it through rose-tinted glass and only went for a holiday/extended stay. None have actually lived there. So it would be prudent to get more of a cross-section of opinions.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:55 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm biased because I live there, but Bangkok sounds like it might work for you. Good music scene with a lot of venues playing live music and a lot of clubs too. Foreigner orientated and Thai orientated. If you plan things right you don't need to spend a fortune on rent and food.

You also say that you have a TEFL and an English degree so you can get a job here no worries. Even if you don't like it BKK is a good base to explore other destinations in SE Asia. Might be harder to get work somewherev else too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:29 am
Meandering

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I'm biased because I live there, but Bangkok sounds like it might work for you. Good music scene with a lot of venues playing live music and a lot of clubs too. Foreigner orientated and Thai orientated. If you plan things right you don't need to spend a fortune on rent and food.

You also say that you have a TEFL and an English degree so you can get a job here no worries. Even if you don't like it BKK is a good base to explore other destinations in SE Asia. Might be harder to get work somewherev else too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks.

It's odd. I never really considered the night life and stuff like that. But I am glad you reminded me of what is on offer.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 1:38 am

Thanks.

It's odd. I never really considered the night life and stuff like that. But I am glad you reminded me of what is on offer.
If there is one thing that Bangkok has in abundance it is nightlife !

and daylife / morning life / afternoon life too .
Old Jun 10th 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

1) A new life that will challenge me in ways that aren't possible in the UK
2) I enjoy rock music, meeting people, having a drink , helping in any way that I can.
3)Singapore - but only the airport. Lol.
4)Teach, I guess. I have a TEFL qualification. I also have a English degree.
Hi WB,
get yourself over to China, you will be blown away.
The perceived way of China, and what it actually is in real life, so different.
One can never really explain "China" to a person correctly or fully, so I won't even try. You have to "feel " it for yourself.
However, you are now in your prime right now, get the rucksack filled, and move.
Now it don't need much thinking, but really don't pack much clothes, after all, you will just be bringing them back to where they were originally made.
You can rent a nice 1 room apartment, furnished, for less than what you would pay a week unfurnished in UK.
As an example, I live in Weifang, Kuiwen district, almost city center, on the side of Bailang River, paying £68 a month furnished.
Weifang.
This is Rainbow Bridge, over Bailang River

This is the fountain in Kite Square

This is an underground shopping mall.

This is the side of the Bailang River, no trash or papers eh?

This is "Old Kuiwen " gate

Along Bailang river night time

Eating out BBQ Chinese style

Just some random photos, for flavour.

V.

Last edited by uk_vette; Jun 10th 2011 at 1:28 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

like a bull in a chinashop.
No pun intended eh?

V.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 1:43 pm
Meandering

Originally Posted by uk_vette
No pun intended eh?

V.
Not intentionally.

But well spotted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.