British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Far East and Asia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/far-east-asia-59/)
-   -   Very old UK Pension Contributions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/far-east-asia-59/very-old-uk-pension-contributions-906185/)

SebD Nov 23rd 2017 12:41 pm

Very old UK Pension Contributions

Hello,

First post and very pleased to have found this site.

I hope it will help and maybe I'll be able to contribute some of my own experiences & advice, too.

I have a question but don't know where I should post it so perhaps someone can advise me on that.

I left school, in the UK, in 1974 and worked solidly until I left the UK, in 1979.

I have live and worked outside the UK but in a British Territory jurisdiction (offshore "tax haven", in other words) with (mostly) reciprocal Health, Social, Abode arrangements with the UK.

I am nearing retirement and plan to move to a non-reciprocal area (being S E Asia).

My pension here will be paid to me (but will not increase as it would, were I to stay where I am, now). But my pension is not linked to my contributions between 1974 & 79, prior to moving here.

I am wondering if I am also entitled to either a small pension from the UK, based on my contributions for those circa five years, or a one-off payment, in lieu.

Reading this back to myself, it probably sounds more complicated than it is (I think) but, can anyone please offer me some advice?

As I said, I know this is not the correct sub-forum but, if an Admin could move it or someone could advise me where to copy it to, I will be very grateful.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read all this. :regular_smile:

Seb

Rete Nov 23rd 2017 3:59 pm

Re: Very old UK Pension Contributions

Hi and welcome to BE

Unfortunately, this is the Welcome Inn where newbies are to introduce themselves.

I have asked that your post be transferred perhaps to the Asian forums?

spouse of scouse Nov 23rd 2017 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by SebD (Post 12387808)
Hello,

First post and very pleased to have found this site.

I hope it will help and maybe I'll be able to contribute some of my own experiences & advice, too.

I have a question but don't know where I should post it so perhaps someone can advise me on that.

I left school, in the UK, in 1974 and worked solidly until I left the UK, in 1979.

I have live and worked outside the UK but in a British Territory jurisdiction (offshore "tax haven", in other words) with (mostly) reciprocal Health, Social, Abode arrangements with the UK.

I am nearing retirement and plan to move to a non-reciprocal area (being S E Asia).

My pension here will be paid to me (but will not increase as it would, were I to stay where I am, now). But my pension is not linked to my contributions between 1974 & 79, prior to moving here.

I am wondering if I am also entitled to either a small pension from the UK, based on my contributions for those circa five years, or a one-off payment, in lieu.

Reading this back to myself, it probably sounds more complicated than it is (I think) but, can anyone please offer me some advice?

As I said, I know this is not the correct sub-forum but, if an Admin could move it or someone could advise me where to copy it to, I will be very grateful.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read all this. :regular_smile:

Seb

Since the 'new' State pension rules, you normally need a minimum of 10 years NI contributions to receive any state pension. There are some exceptions for expats who've worked overseas, see this link https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension Good luck :starsmile:

BuckinghamshireBoy Nov 23rd 2017 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12387955)
Since the 'new' State pension rules, you normally need a minimum of 10 years NI contributions to receive any state pension. There are some exceptions for expats who've worked overseas, see this link https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension Good luck :starsmile:

Ouch, I didn't know about that 'new' rule! I thought that the UK had to abide by EU law in this area - for EU and EEC countries - so that would knock Seb out of this.

I'm trying to recover a pitifully small UK state pension to which I believe I'm entitled, but getting nowhere fast.

It seems a very complex issue (it shouldn't be, but someone is making it so), I've been trying to get to the bottom of it in terms of EU/EEC entitlements, but as my findings won't help Seb with his case, I'll stop short now before going into full rant mode.

Sorry Seb, I can't really offer help here, but I wish you good luck with this.

Post back with results please?

Edit: Don't think they'll do a one-off anyway. Private pensions will/might, but you'll be taxed.

RedApe Nov 23rd 2017 7:27 pm

The only SE Asian country with a Social Security Agreement with the UK is the Philippines.

SebD Nov 23rd 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks, BuckBoy.

I will certainly post back with any result I get.

And thanks for the welcome.:goodpost:

Seb

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12387982)
Ouch, I didn't know about that 'new' rule! I thought that the UK had to abide by EU law in this area - for EU and EEC countries - so that would knock Seb out of this.

I'm trying to recover a pitifully small UK state pension to which I believe I'm entitled, but getting nowhere fast.

It seems a very complex issue (it shouldn't be, but someone is making it so), I've been trying to get to the bottom of it in terms of EU/EEC entitlements, but as my findings won't help Seb with his case, I'll stop short now before going into full rant mode.

Sorry Seb, I can't really offer help here, but I wish you good luck with this.

Post back with results please?

Edit: Don't think they'll do a one-off anyway. Private pensions will/might, but you'll be taxed.

SebD Nov 23rd 2017 9:23 pm

Thanks RedApe,

But that's not my query.

I already know I won't have a reciprocal arrangement with the UK so my pension will be frozen at the level I leave here.

Thanks again.

Seb

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 12388010)
The only SE Asian country with a Social Security Agreement with the UK is the Philippines.

SebD Nov 23rd 2017 9:25 pm

Thank you Rete,

For the welcome and the assistance in getting my post into the right section.:thumbup:

Seb

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12387926)
Hi and welcome to BE

Unfortunately, this is the Welcome Inn where newbies are to introduce themselves.

I have asked that your post be transferred perhaps to the Asian forums?

Pulaski Nov 23rd 2017 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12387955)
Since the 'new' State pension rules, you normally need a minimum of 10 years NI contributions to receive any state pension. There are some exceptions for expats who've worked overseas, see this link https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension .....

And if you haven't yet reached retirement age you can pay up to six years in arrears, plus the current year. On application (and approval) you can probably pay the Class 2 NI rate, which would equate to just over £1,000 total for seven addition years of contributions. In this case it would definitely be worth doing as without the additional years it is possible that he will get nothing.

SebD Nov 24th 2017 1:06 am

My gosh, Pulaski.

That is potentially really valuable information. So thank you very much.:goodpost:

I must research how to obtain more information with regard to my ability,
or not, to pay those backdated contributions in order to benefit from even a small regular pension - as I intend to live until I'm 130 (same as Bilbo Baggins).

I just wonder where to go from here.:unsure:

Thanks again for your input, which is greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

Seb

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12388147)
And if you haven't yet reached retirement age you can pay up to six years in arrears, plus the current year. On application (and approval) you can probably pay the Class 2 NI rate, which would equate to just over £1,000 total for seven addition years of contributions. In this case it would definitely be worth doing as without the additional years it is possible that he will get nothing.

Pulaski Nov 24th 2017 1:19 am

Originally Posted by SebD (Post 12388179)
My gosh, Pulaski.

That is potentially really valuable information. So thank you very much.:goodpost:

I must research how to obtain more information with regard to my ability,
or not, to pay those backdated contributions in order to benefit from even a small regular pension - as I intend to live until I'm 130 (same as Bilbo Baggins).

I just wonder where to go from here.:unsure:

Thanks again for your input, which is greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

Seb

You're very welcome. :)

You need the international desk of the state pensions department at the DWP office in Newcastle.

Here is the contact information.

You need to ask them about applying to make Class 2 contributions. It takes a couple of months to apply and be approved, so you should get your skates on to make sure you can get your payment to them before the end of the tax year at the end of March (actually April 5, but don't cut it that fine if you can avoid it).

SebD Nov 24th 2017 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12388183)
You're very welcome. :)

You need the international desk of the state pensions department at the DWP office in Newcastle.

Here is the contact information.

You need to ask them about applying to make Class 2 contributions. It takes a couple of months to apply and be approved, so you should get your skates on to make sure you can get your payment to them before the end of the tax year at the end of March (actually April 5, but don't cut it that fine if you can avoid it).

That's Brilliant, Sir.

Thank you again for such great advice. :thumbsup:

Seb

Pulaski Nov 24th 2017 2:26 am

Originally Posted by SebD (Post 12388194)
That's Brilliant, Sir.

Thank you again for such great advice. .....

Seb

You're very welcome, and have a great day! :)

BuckinghamshireBoy Nov 24th 2017 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12388147)

Who determines what is 'retirement' age? The UK? The toads that administer the Social Security system in one's country of domicile?

Just wondering... my treacle is getting thorny on this one.

But back on, after all the money spent on postage/phone calls back to the UK, would Seb still come out ahead? :unsure:

Pulaski Nov 24th 2017 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12388333)
Who determines what is 'retirement' age? The UK? The toads that administer the Social Security system in one's country of domicile? ....

The relevant retirement age is that at which you can draw your British state pension.

.... But back on, after all the money spent on postage/phone calls back to the UK, would Seb still come out ahead? :unsure:
Well it should be one phone call, maybe 10-15 minutes, and if you use Skype or an other VoIP calling service it shouldn't cost more than 50p, tops, then one form to be mailed back, so one international stamp. Then you make a payment each year, so whatever that costs.

On the benefit side, at the moment he faces get nothing by way of a UK pension, but if he pays seven years of contributions in a lump, he will have a total of 12 years contributions, (maybe more if he has some deemed years), and so should be eligible for 12/36 × roughly £150/wk (the maximum pension amount), so about £50 every week for the rest of his life. It sounds to me like he will be "ahead" by a good bit, the first week after her retires, and it will take about five months of retirement to recoup his additional investment of £1,003. :nod: