Taiwan Visa

Old Jun 3rd 2017, 11:16 am
Just Joined

RRM1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taiwan Visa

Hi,

I am a Britsh guy looking to move to Taiwan for a few months. I know I can live there for up to 180 days (90 plus a 90 day extension if I take Mandarin courses) but I was wondering if there was any other way to extend this? I've heard from a couple of sources that you can get a re-entry permit from HK or Japan that allows you to extend or reset this. Can anyone verify this?

Also, if I left Taiwan for a few weeks and then returned, would the time I have been away from Taiwan still count towards the 180 days I can stay for?

Thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 4:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taiwan Visa

For what purpose do you want to move to Taiwan?
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
For what purpose do you want to move to Taiwan?
To stay with my girlfriend and use as a base for travelling. I'm not looking to work there, although I will be using the time to set up a cloud based I.T. company (I will not be trading though)!
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 5:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

How old are you?
Old Jun 21st 2017, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Apparently, if you leave and re-enter Taiwan, the 90 day period resets. That suits me fine
Old Jun 21st 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by RRM1000
Apparently, if you leave and re-enter Taiwan, the 90 day period resets. That suits me fine
It may be that easy, it may not. It would depend on how scrupulously they check for or tolerate recent visits. If you are 30 or under then a Youth Mobility Scheme visa would be a safer bet and allow you to work legally as well.

Purpose of the Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) - Taipei Representative Office in the U.K. 駐英國台北代表處
Old Feb 15th 2019, 10:46 am
Just Joined

BritInTaiwan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RRM1000
Yes this is incredibly easy - you can book a return flight to Hong Kong from Taipei or Taichung, and you don';t even need to leave the airport, just get straight back on the plane.

It's known as a "visa run", i've known people living in Taiwan who have done it every 90 days for 5 years or more. Check forumosa for more info.