Reload this Page >

Quality of International School in Brunei

Quality of International School in Brunei

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

aberdeennow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quality of International School in Brunei

Hi,

We are considering relocating from UK to Miri, with our son boarding 5 days a week at Jeradong School in Brunei. Our son would be studying A level Sciences. Can anyone please advise on the quality of the education and school life at Jeradong for expats at A level standard.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:21 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality of International School in Brunei

Sorry dont know, but if you dont get any answers here, try asking on expatsingapore and you may have more luck
Old Sep 8th 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aberdeennow
Hi,

We are considering relocating from UK to Miri, with our son boarding 5 days a week at Jeradong School in Brunei. Our son would be studying A level Sciences. Can anyone please advise on the quality of the education and school life at Jeradong for expats at A level standard.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi There

Our boys are at Jerudong Int School and thriving, our oldest is 11 and science is his subject. He's pretty bright and the teachers are finding ways to stretch him without piling on work and putting him under pressure.

Compared to the UK schools we've experienced, it's a fantastic place. The pastoral care is superb and the school counsellor is wonderful. Ours are day pupils but we would have no problem letting them board.

Although there are children from 40 different countries, English is the main language.

We did have a problem with bullying, but the school dealt with it quickly and sensitively. I know that they also get a life coach in every now and then to do a work shop with the older children.

The majority of the teachers are Brits, Aussies and Kiwis - although they're recruited from everywhere. The teaching standards are high (we think) and the class sizes are about 14. They follow the UK curriculum but can pick and choose which bits to follow. (So they ignore the insane stuff)

There are all sorts of stats which show the main universities that the children go on to - you'd have to e-mail the school for them but they'd give you a good idea of the A-level standards.

The range of After School Activities is very good with lots of sports but also things like Rocket Building and United Nations Debating etc.

They get in some pretty good guest speakers, diplomats, doctors etc and David Bellamy spoke to them last term.

They organise some great trips for the children, our son went to Darwin last Sept.

I believe that the children are encouraged to take 4 A levels so they can drop one if they find they don't enjoy the subject. I can't comment any further than that because we're only at Year 7. The only negative thing I've heard about the sixth form is that there isn't a common room. But again, I don't really know anyone with children that age so I'm not sure.

A team of inspectors came out from the UK and have just published a report, if you e-mail the school I'm sure they'd send you a copy. It may even be on the website.

There is another international school which has started taking boarders, it's called ISB. It's a little further into Brunei and would probably add 20/30 minutes onto the journey on a Friday (Prayer day).

Sorry for my random babbling , it's late here, I'm tired and I've got square eyes

We love it here and so do the children. We're so happy with the school that we'll try very hard to extend our contract so that the boys can stay here for as long as possible.

Anyway, lots of luck, What ever you decide I'm sure it will be the right thing for you
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:40 am
Just Joined

aberdeennow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer
Hi There

Our boys are at Jerudong Int School and thriving, our oldest is 11 and science is his subject. He's pretty bright and the teachers are finding ways to stretch him without piling on work and putting him under pressure.

Compared to the UK schools we've experienced, it's a fantastic place. The pastoral care is superb and the school counsellor is wonderful. Ours are day pupils but we would have no problem letting them board.

Although there are children from 40 different countries, English is the main language.

We did have a problem with bullying, but the school dealt with it quickly and sensitively. I know that they also get a life coach in every now and then to do a work shop with the older children.

The majority of the teachers are Brits, Aussies and Kiwis - although they're recruited from everywhere. The teaching standards are high (we think) and the class sizes are about 14. They follow the UK curriculum but can pick and choose which bits to follow. (So they ignore the insane stuff)

There are all sorts of stats which show the main universities that the children go on to - you'd have to e-mail the school for them but they'd give you a good idea of the A-level standards.

The range of After School Activities is very good with lots of sports but also things like Rocket Building and United Nations Debating etc.

They get in some pretty good guest speakers, diplomats, doctors etc and David Bellamy spoke to them last term.

They organise some great trips for the children, our son went to Darwin last Sept.

I believe that the children are encouraged to take 4 A levels so they can drop one if they find they don't enjoy the subject. I can't comment any further than that because we're only at Year 7. The only negative thing I've heard about the sixth form is that there isn't a common room. But again, I don't really know anyone with children that age so I'm not sure.

A team of inspectors came out from the UK and have just published a report, if you e-mail the school I'm sure they'd send you a copy. It may even be on the website.

There is another international school which has started taking boarders, it's called ISB. It's a little further into Brunei and would probably add 20/30 minutes onto the journey on a Friday (Prayer day).

Sorry for my random babbling , it's late here, I'm tired and I've got square eyes

We love it here and so do the children. We're so happy with the school that we'll try very hard to extend our contract so that the boys can stay here for as long as possible.

Anyway, lots of luck, What ever you decide I'm sure it will be the right thing for you
Thank you very much for this. Very useful information. Are there many expats studying at A level at Jeradong School ?
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Thank you very much for this. Very useful information. Are there many expats studying at A level at Jeradong School ?

You're most welcome. I don't know about A level pupils as none of my friends have children that age and the Sixth Form is in a separate building. It might be worth e-mailing the school to ask about specific subjects, class sizes, teachers and ratio etc.

We've found the mix of nationalities in our son's classroom to be a very positive thing. A lot of the Asian children work so hard and are so competitive that they raise the game for the others. English is the spoken language and as a rule of thumb the 'other' nationals all speak several languages.

There's a fairly large expat community here, mostly professional people working on contract for a couple of years at a time. The report I mentioned in my last mail articulated this far better than I can. I'm sure you'd find it useful if you can get a copy.

Good luck
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Hi There

I asked someone who's child is doing A levels, and she said that there weren't many expat students at that level.

I can't make any suggestions as to why - since she isn't an expat and I would just be guessing (which is no use to anyone)

Best of luck
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

fineforforty is an unknown quantity at this point

hiya, we are from Peterhead... and moving to Brunei... (we think mid october, but im feeling mid november) we have applied to both jis and isb there was some thought that either of the schools may not have places for both kids, so we have to wait till we are there to get an idea.

i would love any information from the newcomers persepctive, what should i put in my shipment, etc.,