British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Far East and Asia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/far-east-asia-59/)
-   -   Proof of change of name for VISA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/far-east-asia-59/proof-change-name-visa-935280/)

Navrig Oct 14th 2020 2:56 am

Proof of change of name for VISA

I have recently moved to South East Asia and under the terms of my VISA my wife can join me as spouse.

However in order to get a VISA and resident's permit we have to prove that my wife is my wife. Sounds easier than it is.

In Scotland when you get married the certificate records the surnames of the groom and the bride. The certificate does not record the intention of the bride to take her husband's name. In Scotland there is no obligation to officially record the change of surname and ALL institutions and companies will accept a letter, birth certificate and marriage certificate to allow a married woman to change from her birth name to her married name on their systems. We did all this 31 years ago and my wife has been know with my birth surname for 31 years - all records (Social Security, banks, passport, driving licence, employers and so on). We have no official change of name records.

However having sent her passport and our marriage certificate we are being told that, somehow, we have to prove that she is the same person recorded on the marriage certificate.

I am at a loss on how we do this.

Any ideas?

KJMW Oct 16th 2020 8:14 am

Re: Proof of change of name for VISA

Originally Posted by Navrig (Post 12921759)
I have recently moved to South East Asia and under the terms of my VISA my wife can join me as spouse.

However in order to get a VISA and resident's permit we have to prove that my wife is my wife. Sounds easier than it is.

In Scotland when you get married the certificate records the surnames of the groom and the bride. The certificate does not record the intention of the bride to take her husband's name. In Scotland there is no obligation to officially record the change of surname and ALL institutions and companies will accept a letter, birth certificate and marriage certificate to allow a married woman to change from her birth name to her married name on their systems. We did all this 31 years ago and my wife has been know with my birth surname for 31 years - all records (Social Security, banks, passport, driving licence, employers and so on). We have no official change of name records.

However having sent her passport and our marriage certificate we are being told that, somehow, we have to prove that she is the same person recorded on the marriage certificate.

I am at a loss on how we do this.

Any ideas?

How about marrying her again!!!!

BritInParis Oct 16th 2020 9:39 am

Re: Proof of change of name for VISA

Her birth certificate plus your marriage certificate should suffice.