Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Personal income tax rate in S.Korea

Personal income tax rate in S.Korea

Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of
Default Personal income tax rate in S.Korea

Does any one have some knowledge of the personal income tax rate for S.Korea ?

Thanks
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal income tax rate in S.Korea

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Does any one have some knowledge of the personal income tax rate for S.Korea ?

Thanks
In my understanding -

It depends on your income & JOB.

In general --roughly 9 ~33 % .

Tax is very low in South Korea. So you can save A LOT of money even if after tax.

If you are an employee, earn less than (Korean Won) 800000 monthly -> no tax.

If you are a business owner, and earn less than (Korean Won) 1000000 monthly-> no tax.

this is just roughly, at a rough estimate. I don't know for sure.

regards,
Old Jan 19th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

That sounds good,

I might have an offer at the DSME ship yards.
So TAX is favourable then.

How about a small 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom apartment ?
Now I know this is so wide open, but I would imagine quite cheap?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_vette
That sounds good,

I might have an offer at the DSME ship yards.
So TAX is favourable then.

How about a small 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom apartment ?

You're in for a surprise... mate.

In 2006 Seoul was the third most expensive city in the world. . Gangnam (Seoul) is twice as expensive as Manhattan, NY.
you wanna buy an apartment in Korea? or what ?

It entirely depends on where you live - If you live in Seoul, or other major cities, house prices is quite extraordinary .... no better than the UK, seriously. Unless you are an English teacher & get a free accomodation, you probably can't save great deal of money in Korea. that's for sure. Generally speaking apartments in Korea - they are high quality/European standard, therefore the prices are shocking -. Rent for apartment is also expensive too - unless you live in countrysides or small cities. I guess there are many two bedroom apartments available however, one (seperate) bedroom apartments are rare. whereas studio/bedsit apartments are common.

I' ve been to South Korea (Seoul) last year and discovered the price of 3 bedroom apartment (Newly built decent one) in the Seoul (nearer Gangnam) city - where my aunt's place - I asked mum how much is the price.. , cos it was a luxury & lovely place... - then she replied... it's..

2,000,000,000.00 KRW = 1,016,857.406 GBP
South Korea Won United Kingdom Pounds
1 KRW = 0.000508429 GBP 1 GBP = 1,966.84 KRW

I actually thought she was joking... but, it was true!

Surely there must be some where cheaper one out there, but Seoul is overpriced.

I don't quite get your question though.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jan 19th 2009 at 11:16 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crap coffee

You're in for a surprise... mate.

In 2006 Seoul was the third most expensive city in the world. . Gangnam (Seoul) is twice as expensive as Manhattan, NY.
you wanna buy an apartment in Korea? or what ?

It entirely depends on where you live - If you live in Seoul, or other major cities, house prices is quite extraordinary .... no better than the UK, seriously. Unless you are an English teacher & get a free accomodation, you probably can't save great deal of money in Korea. that's for sure. Generally speaking apartments in Korea - they are high quality/European standard, therefore the prices are shocking -. Rent for apartment is also expensive too - unless you live in countrysides or small cities. I guess there are many two bedroom apartments available however, one (seperate) bedroom apartments are rare. whereas studio/bedsit apartments are common.

I' ve been to South Korea (Seoul) last year and discovered the price of 3 bedroom apartment (Newly built decent one) in the Seoul (nearer Gangnam) city - where my aunt's place - I asked mum how much is the price.. , cos it was a luxury & lovely place... - then she replied... it's..

2,000,000,000.00 KRW = 1,016,857.406 GBP
South Korea Won United Kingdom Pounds
1 KRW = 0.000508429 GBP 1 GBP = 1,966.84 KRW

I actually thought she was joking... but, it was true!

Surely there must be some where cheaper one out there, but Seoul is overpriced.

I don't quite get your question though.

Now that 'eye watering'
I was considering renting a 1 bed or a 2 bedroom flat.
But at them prices, I might have to go back to the finance guys and suggest they 'up' the rate, or provide my accommodation..
Perhaps better if they sort the accommodation, I think.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:29 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to work at the DSME yard then a 2 bed apartment in the town of Okpo will cost you about USD 1,500 - 2,000 per month in rent.

There are loads of expats in Okpo. We spent two and a half very happy years there.