Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Notebook Computer to Vietnam

Notebook Computer to Vietnam

Old Jun 27th 2002, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

suntzu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Notebook Computer to Vietnam

I want to bring my notebook computer over to Vietnam and was wondering if there was anything I should watch for when I go through customs? Is there anything I have to pay to get my computer through like a tax or something?

I'm worried because the last few times I've brought a CD player and a camcorder they made me pay. They told me that if I didn't pay I'd have to leave my stuff there and I could get it when I go through customs again. Basically I don't want to bring my computer over there and have to leave it to possible theft.

I'm a poor college student and would hate it if I had to swallow $2000 worth of computer because of one mistake. Any input is great. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 28th 2002, 5:20 pm
Alfred M .

Default Re: Notebook Computer to Vietnam

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I want to bring my notebook computer over to Vietnam and was wondering if there was
    > anything I should watch for when I go through customs? Is there anything I have to
    > pay to get my computer through like a tax or something?
    >
    > I'm worried because the last few times I've brought a CD player and a camcorder
    > they made me pay. They told me that if I didn't pay I'd have to leave my stuff
    > there and I could get it when I go through customs again. Basically I don't want to
    > bring my computer over there and have to leave it to possible theft.
    >
    > I'm a poor college student and would hate it if I had to swallow $2000 worth of
    > computer because of one mistake. Any input is great. Thanks in advance.

Don't know about Vietnam, but I've been travelling with a notebook, digital camera,
cellular phone etc. for about 12 months between 1999 and 2001 in Malaysia, Thailand,
Cambodia, Singapore, Laos and Nepal (on Perhentian island they called me "Mr.
Technology") and have never had any problems at the customs. I've lost count of how
many times I've crossed a border.
--

Alfred Molon Remove the obvious to email

Olympus C4040 online resource at http://www.molon.de/4040.html Photo galleries at
http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm

Old Jun 28th 2002, 11:20 pm
Bloglo Globulo

Got my brand new thinkpad in vietnam last march...

had written it in my declaration form at the custom at Saigon airport and no
questions or fees were asked...

btw i'm canadian

bloglo

"suntzu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I want to bring my notebook computer over to Vietnam and was wondering if there was
    > anything I should watch for when I go through customs? Is there anything I have to
    > pay to get my computer through like a tax or something?
    >
    > I'm worried because the last few times I've brought a CD player and a camcorder
    > they made me pay. They told me that if I didn't pay I'd have to leave my stuff
    > there and I could get it when I go through customs again. Basically I don't want to
    > bring my computer over there and have to leave it to possible theft.
    >
    > I'm a poor college student and would hate it if I had to swallow $2000 worth of
    > computer because of one mistake. Any input is great. Thanks in advance.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 6th 2002, 5:46 am
Just Joined

suntzu is an unknown quantity at this point

This might sound weird but, how would a Vietnamese born in the US be treated at customs when trying to bring the computer over? I have a feeling (could be wrong) that they treat Vietnamese Americans different then they treat regular Americans or Canadians for that matter. Sorry if I'm acting extra paranoid. ^_^
Old Jul 6th 2002, 12:20 pm
Spehro Pefhany

The renowned suntzu <[email protected]> wrote:
    > This might sound weird but, how would a Vietnamese born in the US be treated at
    > customs when trying to bring the computer over? I have a feeling (could be wrong)
    > that they treat Vietnamese Americans different then they treat regular Americans or
    > Canadians for that matter. Sorry if I'm acting extra paranoid. ^_^

Sounds like reasonable paranoia to me. If you "look like" you have family there, you
might be more likely to bring stuff in for them. Sorry, I can't comment on the actual
situation there, but this kind of profiling takes place at most border crossings.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
--
"it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" [email protected] Info for
manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for
designers: http://www.speff.com 9-11 United we Stand