Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Vietnam - Hoi An full moon festival

Vietnam - Hoi An full moon festival

Old Mar 13th 2016, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vietnam - Hoi An full moon festival

Hi

I have the chance to travel to Vietnam next week and top of my list is Hoi An, specifically for its full moon festival.
If anyone can offer any other recommendations for things to see/do while in the area, I'd be interested.
Will probably have around a week in Hoi An and then 2 or 3 days in HCMC before flying out,so any must-see places there would also be of interest.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:50 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vietnam - Hoi An full moon festival

Originally Posted by rachelk
Hi

I have the chance to travel to Vietnam next week and top of my list is Hoi An, specifically for its full moon festival.
If anyone can offer any other recommendations for things to see/do while in the area, I'd be interested.
Will probably have around a week in Hoi An and then 2 or 3 days in HCMC before flying out,so any must-see places there would also be of interest.

Thanks in advance
You will love Hoi An, rachelk. We did a day trip up to Hue from there by taxi but I think it is even nicer to do it by train from Da Nang as the scenery is beautiful. Since it takes about 3 hours, an overnight stop in Hue would be a good idea.

Da Nang itself is worth a visit and also the beach at Hoi An is pretty nice.

Hoi An can be quite humid so if you haven't already picked your accommodation, choose somewhere away from the water (not easy) and preferably not at ground level.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this! I am really looking forward to this.

I had already booked accommodation, riverside :/ and just checked the forecast to see how hot & humid the temperature is going to be....

I'll have a look at Hue aswell, thanks and will look at going by train. I will have 9 days in total in Hoi An so plenty of time to get out and see more.

Thanks again
Old Jun 1st 2016, 3:44 am
Just Joined

nguyenthaonhi is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest you to take a trip to Cham Island (know as Cu lao Cham). It lies about 20 km from Hoi An, it takes 1h30min by a junk and 30 minutes by speedboat.

You can join many activities in the islands such as swimming, diving, snorkeling or walking along the eco-tour.

I believe you will enjoy and love it.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 7:52 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the travel tip, unfortunately your advice is about 2 months too late for rachelk
Old Jun 1st 2016, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

The thought is appreciated anyway.

For what it's worth I loved Vietnam but if I was doing it again I'd have less time in Hoi An and more in Ho Chi Minh, I loved Ho Chi Minh

The highlight of my time in Hoi An was a visit to the My Son temple complex, a must see if you're ever in that area.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 7:21 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by rachelk
The thought is appreciated anyway.

For what it's worth I loved Vietnam but if I was doing it again I'd have less time in Hoi An and more in Ho Chi Minh, I loved Ho Chi Minh

The highlight of my time in Hoi An was a visit to the My Son temple complex, a must see if you're ever in that area.
Do you fancy doing a little trip report for us, Rachel, as lots of members are interested in visiting VN and we seem to be a little lacking in info?

There are some examples of trip reports here:- http://britishexpats.com/forum/far-e...-index-865226/
Old Jun 1st 2016, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I'll have a look at least. Probaby not for the next few weeks beacuse I'm tied up with work and with organising a move, but in July I'll have more time.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 3:03 am
Just Joined

movingout_2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Vietnam - Hoi An full moon festival

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Do you fancy doing a little trip report for us, Rachel, as lots of members are interested in visiting VN and we seem to be a little lacking in info?

There are some examples of trip reports here:- http://britishexpats.com/forum/far-e...-index-865226/

Wow InVinoVeritas, you have experienced a lot of places and there is some really good info for you'r beginner travelers!!
you should write a book... Lonely Planet haha

Thanks man
Old Jul 14th 2016, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, and thanks for this reminder - it had completely slipped my mind. I'll get onto it