Reload this Page >

Moving to Southeast Asia

Moving to Southeast Asia

Old Feb 26th 2020, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Slucas is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Moving to Southeast Asia

Hi all,

I am looking to move to Southeast Asia as it is part of the world that I have fallen in love with. I work in travel taking groups of tourists around various countries. So would not be coming for work. I’m also in my 20s so I’m not coming for retirement. I have travelled throughout The whole of Southeast Asia. Which country would you recommend is the easiest to live in? Factors including:
  • visas
  • expat communities
  • security when away ect
  • English spoken most widely
  • price
  • ect
if anyone has any advice or personal experience with the pros and cons moving to a country in Southeast Asia it would be much appreciated?

thank you in advance
Old Feb 26th 2020, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Southeast Asia

Originally Posted by Slucas
Hi all,

I am looking to move to Southeast Asia as it is part of the world that I have fallen in love with. I work in travel taking groups of tourists around various countries. So would not be coming for work. I’m also in my 20s so I’m not coming for retirement. I have travelled throughout The whole of Southeast Asia. Which country would you recommend is the easiest to live in? Factors including:
  • visas
  • expat communities
  • security when away ect
  • English spoken most widely
  • price
  • ect
if anyone has any advice or personal experience with the pros and cons moving to a country in Southeast Asia it would be much appreciated?

thank you in advance
Thailand does not meet your requirements at all.
Regarding any other countries: you are looking for a job locals do. Therefore, you would not get a work permit or visa.
May be get a job with e.g. TUI to send you there as their local rep.?
Old Feb 26th 2020, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Hi,

I work as a tour manager not a local guide. I got back yesterday working in Thailand haha. So I do not see this as a problem. Basically wether I move or not I still work there. So not shore how that works for visa?

thanks for the help
Old Feb 26th 2020, 10:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I work as a tour manager not a local guide. I got back yesterday working in Thailand haha. So I do not see this as a problem. Basically wether I move or not I still work there. So not shore how that works for visa?

thanks for the help
A good place to start would be to research the visa requirements in each of the SEA countries to determine if you're eligible for a resident visa.
A couple of things that weren't on your list that should be - income tax and health insurance/health care.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

thanks for the help
So you worked illegally in Thailand? Otherwise you would be familiar with visa requirements. What does a tour manager actually do a local cannot do?
And in Thailand English is not widely spoken. Wasn't this one of your requirements?
Old Feb 26th 2020, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Thairetired2016;12812206]So you worked illegally in Thailand? No. Think of what I do like a Business man going on a business trip. so I go to a country work for a week or two and come home. The Visa requirements is completely different.

And in Thailand English is not widely spoken. Wasn't this one of your requirements? I understand it is not widely spoken. I more mean relatively speaking compare to the other countries.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Think of what I do like a Business man going on a business trip. so I go to a country work for a week or two and come home. The Visa requirements is completely different.
Depending on the country though, that can be something that needs a work permit - if you did that in the USA, you'd be working illegally. No idea on if Thailand is the same or not, but I'm just saying look very carefully in to work visa requirements and what you are and aren't allowed to do on a visitor visa.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 12:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I understand it is not widely spoken. I more mean relatively speaking compare to the other countries.
Please take care not to remove the opening "[QU0TE= ...12345678]" and end "[/QU0TE]" tags when replying, as it makes a mess, mixing your reply with the post you are quoting.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

of course it completely varies on the Country. I’ve been doing my job many years I know what I need fir my job. I work in many different countries, and it varies from country to country. It’s always done through my company.

Old Feb 26th 2020, 12:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I work as a tour manager not a local guide. I got back yesterday working in Thailand haha. So I do not see this as a problem. Basically wether I move or not I still work there. So not shore how that works for visa? ....
I understand it is not widely spoken. I more mean relatively speaking compare to the other countries.
of course it completely varies on the Country. I’ve been doing my job many years I know what I need fir my job. I work in many different countries, ....
I am surprised that English usage is a priority for you.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

of course it completely varies on the Country. I’ve been doing my job many years I know what I need fir my job. I work in many different countries, and it varies from country to country. It’s always done through my company.
But you are only in your twenties you said.

As a word of warning, Thai immigration are merciless. Don't try to be clever with them.
Tourism related jobs are reserved for Thais.
I'm baffled that you claim many years of tourism experience and knowledge and love of SEA. Yet you come here to ask questions which you should be able to answer yourself.

Why not post your questions on thaivisa.com?

Old Feb 27th 2020, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You may not see this as a problem. Be sure that all the countries in the region prohibit foreigners from working there without permission. Whether you call yourself a "tour manager" or a "tour guide" is irrelevant. You are in paid employment and governments will take the position that this job should be done by a local.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

From Thaiembassy.com:

"Foreigners entering Thailand are not permitted to work, regardless of their type of visa, unless they are granted a work permit."

OP, what kind of visa were you on, during your work trips?

Old Feb 27th 2020, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou
From Thaiembassy.com:

"Foreigners entering Thailand are not permitted to work, regardless of their type of visa, unless they are granted a work permit."

OP, what kind of visa were you on, during your work trips?
I think the more pertinent question is "Did you have a work permit?"
Old Feb 28th 2020, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysia is a country where English is more widely spoken, compared to some other SEA countries. However, immigration will be suspicious if you enter and exit the country often without holding a proper visa. There might be a day where your entry into the country will be refused and you will be sent back to where you came from.