Moving to Brunei

Old Sep 22nd 2007, 12:18 am
Just Joined

fineforforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brunei

We are a Scottish family, living in Houston, moving in the next couple of months to Brunei.

Any pointers regarding what to put in the shipment etc. are welcome. we have three kids 8, 13 and 15.

any help appreciated
Old Sep 25th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Brunei

Originally Posted by fineforforty
We are a Scottish family, living in Houston, moving in the next couple of months to Brunei.

Any pointers regarding what to put in the shipment etc. are welcome. we have three kids 8, 13 and 15.

any help appreciated
Hi There

This is just a list of random thoughts as they pop into my head, apologies for lack of organization it's getting late.

Also, these our just our/my experiences and opinions. If you speak to other families out here they would give very different accounts.

Here goes.........................

It depends on the amount of space you have in your container, and your relocation budget when you arrive. You have to decide what you can live without, and what your happy to replace. You can get hold of pretty much anything out here - but it can be expensive because you find yourself replacing so much that it feels as though you're starting out all over again. (Especially with the cars - second hand are very expensive and very unreliable, if your budget allows you'd be much better off buying something new and Japanese - they're much cheaper than you think so don't rule it out until you've investigated)

Fabric and having curtains made out here is cheap as chips so it's not worth bringing boxes of curtains unless you're strapped and love the ones you have.

Children's toys are the things we didn't bring with us and regret, we let them have a packing box each - if we had our time over we'd have brought a lot more with us. The trampoline is a god send, but we live near the jungle so ball games and and anything that takes them into the bushes is out of limits. However, if you live in a place with a big paved yard that shouldn't be a problem. They will spend a lot of time playing in doors, especially the first few weeks. It's so hot after about 9.30am that they don't last more than 20 minutes. It does get cooler in the evening but then the mozzies come out to play!

Horse riding, if they ride then bring their gear with them. There are no tack shops here.

You can get bikes out here pretty cheaply but the safety helmets are expensive and not always available at all. (We walked for hours trying to find one for our younger son)

Everything here is imported, so it's not always cheaper than UK - if we want books or specific toys we tend to buy them on line and ship them over.

Clothes are pretty cheap here - but if your wife is larger than size 12 it would be worth getting a Next catalogue or something similar. The ladies out here are very petite. It's a moderate Islamic country and the people are lovely, but when I'm out and about I do cover up. Longish skirts or trousers and arms covered. I wore a t-shirt and knee length skirt into one of the local shops and had an audience of men the whole way round.

We find children's shoes difficult, they don't have Clark's shoes for kids out here so it would be worth getting their feet measured and buy the next few sizes up, Just to tide you over until you can get sorted with on line shopping. Out of school the boys live in long linen shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. Cheap sunglasses UV protecting from Asda will be worth their weight in gold. You can get them here but you don't know if the UV is genuine so you end up paying a fortune to buy branded goods on line.

If I went back to UK on holiday, I would buy tons of linen clothes from Asda or Tesco. You can buy the fabric and have things made up out here - but it's about the same price and the quality of workmanship varies from tailor to tailor.

Automatic washing machines and tumble driers. We were told not to bring ours and now we regret it. They're expensive out here as they're imported. The majority of the machines out here are cold water fill with no heater, so if you want a hot water wash you either have to run a hose from the kitchen tap or fill buckets Also, though it's the tropics - it's hard to get stuff dry in the rainy season and when it isn't raining the sun is so severe it bleaches clothes.

Kitchen appliances - though you can pick them up cheaply, there's no consumer protection or guarantee. It's tested in the shop and if it breaks down after a week tough luck. Our treadmill cost about $3000. broke within a year and they wouldn't fix it without a further $360. That's pretty typical. Kettles etc are just disposable - so if you've got the room then bring everything.

It's very cheap to get things framed out here - so bring pictures/certificates and photographs.

I've never seen a dishwasher out here.

Good quality cotton bedding is quite expensive, we buy ours from next and ship it out.

For your wife, skin care can be tricky. If she has a favoured brand it would be worth opening an account somewhere and buying on line. It's very difficult to get an entire range of product that doesn't have some kind of bleach or whitening agent in it. In fact, it's difficult to get the entire range of any brand.

That's it really off the top of my head.

Good luck with your move, this is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. We're happier here than we've ever been. The locals are wonderful, the food is amazing and there's so much opportunity here to travel and explore that you just have to pinch yourself.

Also, for what it's worth - our children are thriving in a way they never did elsewhere
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

thanks for that great response, it was helpful. because we are relocating from the states, we have no choice but to replace fridge, washer dryer etc., WHAT?????? NO DISHWASHER??????..

im getting a 40ft container, so the shipment will have all my current household. its really hot here in texas, ive no curtains!!! only blinds, so thats something i will have to organise.

someone else said to bring in the shipment little gift type things for kids parties and the like? what is your take on that?.

im interested to find out which mail order catalogues will deliver to brunei. my mum can organise for me in advance of the move.

should i stock up on sunscreen and insect repellant?

im sure there are more questions.. watch this space. lol.
thanks though,
joyce
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

thanks for that great response, it was helpful. because we are relocating from the states, we have no choice but to replace fridge, washer dryer etc., WHAT?????? NO DISHWASHER??????..

im getting a 40ft container, so the shipment will have all my current household. its really hot here in texas, ive no curtains!!! only blinds, so thats something i will have to organise.

someone else said to bring in the shipment little gift type things for kids parties and the like? what is your take on that?.

im interested to find out which mail order catalogues will deliver to brunei. my mum can organise for me in advance of the move.

should i stock up on sunscreen and insect repellant?

im sure there are more questions.. watch this space. lol.
thanks though,
joyce
Hi again!

Sorry for not responding sooner. Our connection goes through fits and fazes and it's been busy here with Ramadan.

You can get Nivea sun screen over here and lots of products are imported from Australia - these are the products I buy because you can trust the labels/ingredients. If you've got a spare corner going in your container, there's nothing to lose bringing a job lot over with you since it's one thing less to worry about/find when you're new.

Insect repellent isn't a problem, you can buy that also.

Buy some stinger vests/suits if you intend paddling in the sea. We had no problem getting them for our younger son but it took a while to find one with long sleeves for our older son.

They have box jelly fish here, they're seasonal but come right into the surf where the children paddle. They're very small but very dangerous. There are lots of lovely pools out here so people don't tend to swim in the sea, but if we take ours out on someone's boat or they have a go in the doughnut they're covered from head to toe!!

1st aid items such as Calpol or Children's Ibuprofen can be difficult to come buy, especially sugar free. Also, the familiar cough medicines that you know you can use with paracetamol. (Unless you're a doctor/nurse and can decipher the labels for yourself )

You can set up an on line account with Amazon and have your books sent vat free. The best catalogue I've found to use out here is Next, simply because if you need to phone you get through to someone immediately who knows what they're talking about. None of the waiting for 20 minutes to speak to someone with a flow chart!!

Liz Earle is also fantastic for ordering over the phone, they sell skin care products and they're service is very good.

Buying toys out here is tricky because they're isn't the safety standards of the UK. You can buy Little Tykes for example, but you'd pay way over the odds.

We always buy gifts for younger children on line from Boots or Early Learning Centre.

Playstation games and DVDs are cheap as chips and worth their weight in gold. It's so hot/humid when you arrive that the children spend the first few weeks indoors. Be prepared for them to go stir crazy!

The people out here are just lovely, it's the safest/nicest place we've ever lived. It doesn't seem to have that manic hustle and bustle of other Asian countries, the people are very peaceful and laid back.

The food is amazing, we have a few friends that don't eat rice or noodles - only good old western food. My word they're missing out! You can eat anywhere without fear of getting a tummy bug. We often wander the night markets for our rice/chicken/fish and eat as we go. It's usually about 60p for a meal. and it's lovely.

Feel free to send a PM, I'm going away in a couple of weeks - so if I don't respond that's why
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Forgot to say, if you or your children ride horses then you'll be happy here. Just bring your hats/boots back protectors (If they wear them) with you because you can't buy them at all here. Although you can get them on line, it's not the same as having them fitted.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:15 am
Just Joined

thanks for all the info. I have no idea what a stinger suit is, and i can not imagine that i would get one in texas at this time of year... although it is still in the 90's, the shops are full of jackets and cardigans and stuff!! winter is approaching. its a laugh.

im not that fussed about being in the sea for the time being, i can just make a list as i go when im there, and take the first shopping opportunity to heart.

we will also be eating 'street food', im a bit of a cook, so am looking forward to broadening my horizons in the kitchen.

i have not decided yet about a maid... live in, live out or part time... as far as i know we will be in a hotel for 6-8 weeks, so i will be able to find my feet at least before my shipment arrives and i need help sorting it all out.!!!

i hear they have St Andrews Ball, so im hoping we are there in time to participate. We are all set, now waiting the goverment permission to enter..(or whatever the document is called...) but being Ramadan its taking a long time.... or maybe it takes a long time regardless.

i am so looking forward to experiencing asia....
i will no doubt post more questions as it draws nearer, but in the interim if there is anything you can think to tell me, please give me the good of your experience.
joyce
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for all the info. I have no idea what a stinger suit is, and i can not imagine that i would get one in texas at this time of year... although it is still in the 90's, the shops are full of jackets and cardigans and stuff!! winter is approaching. its a laugh.

im not that fussed about being in the sea for the time being, i can just make a list as i go when im there, and take the first shopping opportunity to heart.

we will also be eating 'street food', im a bit of a cook, so am looking forward to broadening my horizons in the kitchen.

i have not decided yet about a maid... live in, live out or part time... as far as i know we will be in a hotel for 6-8 weeks, so i will be able to find my feet at least before my shipment arrives and i need help sorting it all out.!!!

i hear they have St Andrews Ball, so im hoping we are there in time to participate. We are all set, now waiting the goverment permission to enter..(or whatever the document is called...) but being Ramadan its taking a long time.... or maybe it takes a long time regardless.

i am so looking forward to experiencing asia....
i will no doubt post more questions as it draws nearer, but in the interim if there is anything you can think to tell me, please give me the good of your experience.
joyce
Ha sorry Should have chosen my words better - i ramble and touch type at the same time

The UVA/UVB suits are what we call stinger suits, you can get 'all-in-ones' with long sleeves/legs, or separates. I know you can pick them up now fairly cheaply in lots of catalogues or sports shops. The ones here come from Australia, but as they arrive in shipments the stock can be random. Tourists don't seem to bother with them, but the jellies come into the shore at about Oct so maybe they're all back to where ever by then. Not all locals/ex pats wear them either. We're just careful because the places we frequent are known for the jellies. There is so much to do here anyway that swimming in the sea doesn't really factor, and a good rule of thumb is if the Brunei locals are in the water it's OK, if they're not we don't go in.

Food here is wonderful and if you cook you'll love it. Sometimes it gets frustrating when you can't find familiar ingredients, but you're exposed to such wonderful local fruits and spices that you really don't miss creme freche and the like. The local fish is also excellent, you can buy red snapper caught that morning for about £3 a kilo from the wet markets and the best places to buy fruit and veg are the stalls set up on the side of the road. People just go into the jungle and pick mango/bananas and various other goodies and then just sell them.

There's great sushi out here and some very good Chinese and Thai restaurants. The only weird thing is not being able to have a glass of wine or beer with a meal. Tizer just isn't the same!

You're spot on about admin taking longer because of Ramadan, most workers knock off at 2pm daily for the whole month. There've also been a couple of public holidays. Admin here tends to take a little longer anyway and there's nothing anyone can do about it. No one loses sleep if they go home with a full in tray, so it's best just to count to 10 a few times!

I wouldn't worry about finding a maid, if you decide you want one they'll be queuing around the block. Ex pat employers are known for treating staff very well and paying fairly.

Anyway, good luck. You sound as though you're up for an adventure so you'll have a great time.

Last edited by Happy Wanderer; Oct 1st 2007 at 12:31 pm.