Old Feb 18th 2004, 2:01 am
Just Joined

mlegin is an unknown quantity at this point

Rita,

Many thanks for the info, will certainly have a look at rhb,

Nigel
Old Feb 18th 2004, 3:05 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ElusiveSongbird
It will be a long, long, long while before that happens, Peter.

Malaysia is no where near the league of countries that have nuclear proliferation capabilities. I give this opinion as a Malaysian who worked closely with the think-tank of the Malaysian Defence Ministry for many years.

Malaysia is truly one of the most peaceful and safest countries to live in Asia. Anyone needing further information about living in Malaysia, please feel free to message me and I will try to provide or steer you towards reliable sources.
My comment was made tongue-in-cheek

I may fly the Singaporean flag, but my loyalties lie up north.

Peter
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:45 am
Just Joined

ElusiveSongbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by paddythepilot
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rita,

Many thanks for your reply!

Suddenly many people are interested in Malaysia!

So it seems I have many options in terms of location to buy a bungalow. To be honest, I don't know what I want at this stage, so maybe the best thing would be to head down there......hire a car and just explore!

In my 'ideal dream world', my bungalow would be in West Malaysia, close to the sea, (for scuba diving), still close enough to KL for the action, (restaraunts, hotels airport etc).

I would prefer a place of around 2,000 Sq Ft with a small garden.......a swimming pool would be nice! I would consider a new township maybe?

Being a 'Gwailo' I guess I'd better be close to a few other expats, but not exculsively so because I don't live my life like that.........I have many 'local' Chinese freinds here in HK and around the world!

Any views?

Cheers

Paddy,

Yes, we Chinese are spread all over the globe, aren't we?

It is unlikely that you will find your dream home with ocean in sight in KL .......

The closest sea is at Port Klang (45-minute drive) where you don't want to look into the water, much less dive in! I don't scuba dive but have friends who regularly head off from KL and the nearest spots are Tioman, Redang and Langkawi. Most of these resort-type places have residential bungalows near the ocean but very little nightlife.

On the property front, bungalows with swimming pools are not common as most Malaysians are afraid of the sun! If there is a pool, the house is likely to be much more than 2.000 sq ft with a good size garden. You could do what my sister did recently - she bought a bungalow with a larger than desired garden and put in the swimming pool herself! It was inexpensive and she had the choice of pool layout, design and landscaping.

You will find the best bungalows (with or without pools) in the upmarket KL suburbs of Bukit Tunku, Bukit Damansara, Pantai Hill, Kenny Hills, Bangsar (Expat Town), Duta and Tropicana. Next, are those a little further away in Petaling Jaya (Section 5 and 6) - the houses are older but well-supported by PJ facilities, followed by Subang-USJ (near the old airport and half an hour drive to KL) - a recent township where the house designs are modern. It is a huge community though, almost like living in a maze and besides bungalows, there are double-storey link homes as well as shophouses.

In the city centre, there are along Jalan Ampang (Embassy Row) and Jalan U-Thant. Traffic is always a nightmare here!

The newest township is down-south in Putrajaya, the new administrative capital. If you don't mind driving the distance to KL, property there is good investment for the future, for obvious reasons.

Most of the areas above have a good mix of expats and Malaysians.

Like you said, the best plan will be to go over and drive around for a feel of the potential areas, and like I do, let your personal aura and feng-shui make a decision. It is never wrong!

Happy house-hunting!

Incidentally, as you probably already know ..... you will be more "Mat Salleh" than "Gwailo" in Malaysia!

Rita
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:01 am
Just Joined

ElusiveSongbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ptlabs
My comment was made tongue-in-cheek

I may fly the Singaporean flag, but my loyalties lie up north.

Peter

Half my family resides in Singapore and it is always interesting when we compare notes at reunions!

Rita
Old Feb 18th 2004, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ElusiveSongbird

Paddy,

Yes, we Chinese are spread all over the globe, aren't we?

It is unlikely that you will find your dream home with ocean in sight in KL .......

The closest sea is at Port Klang (45-minute drive) where you don't want to look into the water, much less dive in! I don't scuba dive but have friends who regularly head off from KL and the nearest spots are Tioman, Redang and Langkawi. Most of these resort-type places have residential bungalows near the ocean but very little nightlife.

On the property front, bungalows with swimming pools are not common as most Malaysians are afraid of the sun! If there is a pool, the house is likely to be much more than 2.000 sq ft with a good size garden. You could do what my sister did recently - she bought a bungalow with a larger than desired garden and put in the swimming pool herself! It was inexpensive and she had the choice of pool layout, design and landscaping.

You will find the best bungalows (with or without pools) in the upmarket KL suburbs of Bukit Tunku, Bukit Damansara, Pantai Hill, Kenny Hills, Bangsar (Expat Town), Duta and Tropicana. Next, are those a little further away in Petaling Jaya (Section 5 and 6) - the houses are older but well-supported by PJ facilities, followed by Subang-USJ (near the old airport and half an hour drive to KL) - a recent township where the house designs are modern. It is a huge community though, almost like living in a maze and besides bungalows, there are double-storey link homes as well as shophouses.

In the city centre, there are along Jalan Ampang (Embassy Row) and Jalan U-Thant. Traffic is always a nightmare here!

The newest township is down-south in Putrajaya, the new administrative capital. If you don't mind driving the distance to KL, property there is good investment for the future, for obvious reasons.

Most of the areas above have a good mix of expats and Malaysians.

Like you said, the best plan will be to go over and drive around for a feel of the potential areas, and like I do, let your personal aura and feng-shui make a decision. It is never wrong!

Happy house-hunting!

Incidentally, as you probably already know ..... you will be more "Mat Salleh" than "Gwailo" in Malaysia!

Rita
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Rita,

Many thanks for that.

Looks like I am spoilt for choice eh? Anyway, probably the best thing is to head down there for an extended period and really research the place.

It has been very interesting to see how people are flocking to Thailand for retirement and/or holiday homes etc.......but very few are aware of Malaysia.

Seems only a few people 'in the know' or have lived in the region are considering Malaysia.

Once again, all your advice is deeply appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Niza Barr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Malaysia.

Hey paddy,

I would love to get to know your wife. I'm malaysian married to British but currently living in the UK..it would be nice if I could get to know your wife as I believe you have an Asian wife too

Best regares.
Niza
Old Nov 1st 2004, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Mayahani is on a distinguished road
Default Malaysia.

hi! there,

Need some info regarding "Malaysia my 2nd Home"..

Best regards.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

johnanawalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Malaysia.

This malaysia property portal tells where to find a place to rent if decided to go to malaysia to stay.
http://www.iproperty.com.my