Life in Penang

Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Life in Penang

Originally Posted by Umpatan
I think that is the case in any Asian country (well, maybe not Korea and Japan, as they are first world countries)
They do try a little, though. Lived in Japan for a year and had a fair amount of what I'd call "harmless offers". Probably had more to do with my looking different, than being young, though. After all, I had hit the 25-year mark and was therefore an old maid
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:38 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ex reg
Oh btw we like holidaying in Penang.
Was there just a month ago.

But 5 days a year is enough.
Living there, well we couldn't.
So, what do you like about holidaying there?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by leglessfool
I am certainly not jealous of you being in Phuket, you can keep the place.
My posting was in reply to Seasider's actually - if you read it carefully Legless.

And thanks - I will keep the place.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katongkaren
So, what do you like about holidaying there?
Wandering around Georgetown.
Drive around the Island with a pop into Tescos for old times sake. We've also driven over onto the mainland looking for a seafood paradise which was recommended on a site somewhere. Interesting drive but when we eventually found the place it was a big disappointment.
We usually choose when Penang horse racing is on.
Visit Penang Hill.

Bit of shopping, not too much, Gurney Mall is it? and the cheap stuff in the Komtar Tower.

Crab House and then the coffee shop next door for the banana and ice cream roti prata, Bagan, and the coffee shop opposite Paradise Beach Hotel.
As well as Paradise Beach we sometimes also try a hotel in town, two stopper, this year it was the Bayview iirc.

Odds and sods of the tourist thingy, much the same every year in fact but we enjoy it.
The bars and restaurants on Penang Rd and just outside the E & O.

Can't say we've seen many old ex pat men and young local girls though, in fact can't remember seeing any.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:46 am
Legless recluse

leglessfool is on a distinguished road

This old expat man has to go for a visa again next week, unfortunately I can’t go to Penang this time.

The Thai embassy now stamps your passport stating ‘No more visas to be issued in this passport in Penang’ if you go there two times running. Luckily it happened to someone else and I saw it, so now I alternate between Penang and Vientiane just to keep one step ahead of these crazy Thai immigration regulations.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

This old expat man has to go for a visa again next week, unfortunately I can’t go to Penang this time.

The Thai embassy now stamps your passport stating ‘No more visas to be issued in this passport in Penang’ if you go there two times running. Luckily it happened to someone else and I saw it, so now I alternate between Penang and Vientiane just to keep one step ahead of these crazy Thai immigration regulations.
Renewing the visa every 3 months seems a real put off for me, how do you guys manage this w/o letting it getting to you?

Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:48 am
Account Closed

Ummm these "crazy Thai immigration regulations" you mention are in place so that people obtain a correct visa - if you're doing "visa runs", then that's your look-out.

There's plenty of Thai visas to choose from. You can get a pucka tourist visa for a start off. If you're over 50, you can get a retirement visa for one year (renewable) (which is what I've got).

Legless - I might be being a bit nosey here but, if you're not working in Bangkok and not on any pucka visa, why don't you just move to Penang now? The visa runs from Malaysia are far easier I understand - I've got a friend in KL 'burbs who has been doing this for donkeys years. And you can do the MM2H later if that's what you want. Just a thought.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:11 am
Legless recluse

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Ummm these "crazy Thai immigration regulations" you mention are in place so that people obtain a correct visa - if you're doing "visa runs", then that's your look-out.

There's plenty of Thai visas to choose from. You can get a pucka tourist visa for a start off. If you're over 50, you can get a retirement visa for one year (renewable) (which is what I've got).

Legless - I might be being a bit nosey here but, if you're not working in Bangkok and not on any pucka visa, why don't you just move to Penang now? The visa runs from Malaysia are far easier I understand - I've got a friend in KL 'burbs who has been doing this for donkeys years. And you can do the MM2H later if that's what you want. Just a thought.
No money!!!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

No money!!!
How much money is needed? (being serious)!!

Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:59 pm
Legless recluse

Hi Dreamer,
I have worked the cost out already because this is all that I want to do now and I reckon I would have to raise about two thousand quid to cover all of the costs, including a new place to live in and to be on the safe side, but on my meagre pension now, I know that at the very best it is going to take me at least two years.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Dreamer,
I have worked the cost out already because this is all that I want to do now and I reckon I would have to raise about two thousand quid to cover all of the costs, including a new place to live in and to be on the safe side, but on my meagre pension now, I know that at the very best it is going to take me at least two years.
Hi Legless,

I wish you all the best. Have you now got a final figure as how much the monthly cost is going to be? I know the figure could depend on the type of life style one has. I'd just like to have a figure for all the basic things excluding the leisure activities.

Can I just suggest, if you wouldn't mind to keep in touch so whoever managed to get to Malaysia first to give the other one first-hand info about the place. As well as that it would be great to make new friends
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:00 pm
Legless recluse

Originally Posted by TheDreamer
Hi Legless,

I wish you all the best. Have you now got a final figure as how much the monthly cost is going to be? I know the figure could depend on the type of life style one has. I'd just like to have a figure for all the basic things excluding the leisure activities.

Can I just suggest, if you wouldn't mind to keep in touch so whoever managed to get to Malaysia first to give the other one first-hand info about the place. As well as that it would be great to make new friends
Hi Dreamer,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have it all worked out already, accommodation is much cheaper in Penang than Bangkok and I wouldn’t have to spend money on visas either, so I would be far better off there in many ways.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Dreamer,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have it all worked out already, accommodation is much cheaper in Penang than Bangkok and I wouldn’t have to spend money on visas either, so I would be far better off there in many ways.
Leggless, please would you mind telling me how much it is that you worked out? Thanks.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:40 pm
Legless recluse

Originally Posted by TheDreamer
Leggless, please would you mind telling me how much it is that you worked out? Thanks.
Sorry, I am tired now it is after midnight here and my brain isn't functioning properly. I worked out that it would cost me about half of what I am spending here, so that would be about £150 per month.

Goodnight
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, I am tired now it is after midnight here and my brain isn't functioning properly. I worked out that it would cost me about half of what I am spending here, so that would be about £150 per month.

Goodnight
Thank you for replying b4 going to bed, although I could have waited till tomorrow

Are you really saying with 150 GBP per month someone could live in Penang? That means accommodation + utilities + internet + food + bus fares = 150 GBP or $210 - that would be amazing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.