Life in Penang

Old Mar 21st 2009, 2:26 am
Legless recluse

leglessfool is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Life in Penang

Originally Posted by SvampBob
Hi Leggless!
Welcome back.... Me to have been to Laos many times only to get that
sticker in to the passport. Very tiresome!
Received my visa today from the embassy here in Stockholm. Free of
charge. I suspect you got yours for free also. I think they give it away
now to get the tourism flow back in to the country.

Yeas, I think the Blue Diamond hotel on Chulia Street is a good place.
Good atmosphere outside to enjoy a beer and listen to music. Well,
last time it was a man trying to sing and play... rather enjoyable!

Chulia Street is one of many food hawkers places at night. One of
my favorites is "Wan Tan Mee".

Cheers
SvamBob
Hi SvamBob,
Thanks for the message. I did get my visa free this time which helped me a little, but unknown to me they had moved the Thai embassy in Vientiane at the New Year. I went to my usual guesthouse there which is near the old embassy and I got a shock to find out that the embassy had now moved three kilometers further away, so the money that I saved on the visa, a lot of it was used on transportation costs to the new embassy and back, whereas before I just used to walk to the embassy from the guesthouse.

I know all of the people who work at the Blue Diamond in Penang very well, the owner of the hotel, Low Chi, was the first reader of my book and is a very good friend of mine now. I usually just stay in the hotel when I am there, eat ‘Mee Goring’ or some of the Mexican food that they have in there for dinner, listen to the music in the evenings and drink Guinness. I think that it has a very good atmosphere there.

Cheers for now

Legless
Old Mar 21st 2009, 2:32 am
Legless recluse

Originally Posted by TheDreamer
Guys, a question about when you do visa runs, don't the authorities at the borders ask you how you're going to support yourself financially b4 they give you visas?

Cheers,

TD
Hi TD,
I have never been asked about this, probably because I always enter my occupation on the forms as ‘retired’ and they probably guess that I am on a pension. I also don’t know of anyone else that has had a problem with this either.

Cheers

Legless
Old Mar 21st 2009, 5:05 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to have you back Legless. The address change in Vientiane was reported in thaivisa. You might want to check out the following link which gives up to date info from real people

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Latest...n-t189375.html

If you're not a member of thaivisa, would recommend you do so even if you don't use the forum <snip> but once registered they do send out automatic emails giving latest news, latest visa news etc. so you can keep up to date.

Back on topic - how about taking a few pics in Penang when you're there in May and post on the board?

Last edited by Sue; Mar 21st 2009 at 1:30 pm. Reason: Cut out the name calling please
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:12 am
Legless recluse

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Good to have you back Legless. The address change in Vientiane was reported in thaivisa. You might want to check out the following link which gives up to date info from real people

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Latest...n-t189375.html

If you're not a member of thaivisa, would recommend you do so even if you don't use the forum <snip> but once registered they do send out automatic emails giving latest news, latest visa news etc. so you can keep up to date.

Back on topic - how about taking a few pics in Penang when you're there in May and post on the board?
Hi KatongKaren,
Thanks for the info, I don’t have to worry about the same thing happening in Penang because I don’t go to the embassy myself, there is an Indian guy just down the road from the Blue Diamond who does it all for me and just charges 100 Baht, it would cost me more than that just for the taxi fare to the Thai embassy and back in Penang because it is quite a distance outside of Georgetown centre.

I would love to take some photos of Penang, but unfortunately I do not own a camera these days, maybe the hotel there has some tourist leaflets that have some photos of Penang on them and I could scan them when I get back, because I do have a scanner .

Cheers for now

Legless
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:09 am
Just Joined

myclifton is an unknown quantity at this point

I manage to find some useful websites with many photos of Penang. It is worthwhile to check them out for those who consider making a move to Penang in near future either as a tourist or a participant of MM2H programme.

1) Old Penang Talk
http://www.penangtalk.com/
http://penangtalk.com/list/
http://penangpage.com/

2) New Penang Talk
http://penangtalk.com/photos/

3) Chinese Backpackers Forum
The content of this website is in chinese and thus, I guess you all might not be able to understand what has been discussed. But, the links below show mainly the latest photos of Penang with name of places written in both English and Chinese. So, just look at the photos to help you know Penang better.

http://www.backpackers.com.tw/forum/...t=19112&page=5
(See Pages 5-10)

http://www.backpackers.com.tw/forum/...=121228&page=2
(See Pages 2 & 3)
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

SvampBob is an unknown quantity at this point

myclifton... I was wondering about your Chines skills.
I now you have been on the Island for a long time, but
were did you learn it?
Is it the Hokkien language you speak?
Is it possible to go to school on the Island and learn it?

Regards
SvampBob

Last edited by SvampBob; Mar 21st 2009 at 9:35 am.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:05 am
Account Closed

myclifton - some good links there.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by leglessfool
Hi TD,
I have never been asked about this, probably because I always enter my occupation on the forms as ‘retired’ and they probably guess that I am on a pension. I also don’t know of anyone else that has had a problem with this either.

Cheers

Legless
Hi Legless,

Very interesting, I would have thought the first thing they would have asked would have been about how much money you have on you but it seems the authorities there are very trusting.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:42 am
Legless recluse

Originally Posted by TheDreamer
Hi Legless,

Very interesting, I would have thought the first thing they would have asked would have been about how much money you have on you but it seems the authorities there are very trusting.
Hi TD,
If you apply for other types of long term visas such as a retirement visa, then they want to see your bank account statement, but just for a short term tourist visa they don’t seem to bother.

All Thais are under the impression that because you are a Caucasian then you were born rich anyway, that is why you are a natural target for their money scamming games here

This is just one of many reasons why I would like to go to Penang to live, you aren't viewed like that at all there.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

Hi TD,
If you apply for other types of long term visas such as a retirement visa, then they want to see your bank account statement, but just for a short term tourist visa they don’t seem to bother.

All Thais are under the impression that because you are a Caucasian then you were born rich anyway, that is why you are a natural target for their money scamming games here

This is just one of many reasons why I would like to go to Penang to live, you aren't viewed like that at all there.
I see, so what you're saying is non-Caucasians would find it harder to get a visa?

btw, I wish you could go to Penang very soon as you would be the right person to tell us how life in Penang really is!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by myclifton
I manage to find some useful websites with many photos of Penang. It is worthwhile to check them out for those who consider making a move to Penang in near future either as a tourist or a participant of MM2H programme.

1) Old Penang Talk
http://www.penangtalk.com/
http://penangtalk.com/list/
http://penangpage.com/

2) New Penang Talk
http://penangtalk.com/photos/

3) Chinese Backpackers Forum
The content of this website is in chinese and thus, I guess you all might not be able to understand what has been discussed. But, the links below show mainly the latest photos of Penang with name of places written in both English and Chinese. So, just look at the photos to help you know Penang better.

http://www.backpackers.com.tw/forum/...t=19112&page=5
(See Pages 5-10)

http://www.backpackers.com.tw/forum/...=121228&page=2
(See Pages 2 & 3)
Just a quick look at your photos and see one of the Crown Hotel and on the far side of it the Paradise .

We were at the Paradise a month or so ago and the Crown is being renovated.

Not sure when reno will be completed but will be interested to see what rate they charge as for us both it and the Paradise are perfectly situated for our stay.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Hi TD,

1. Utter tosh. You have not met all Thais and I seem to recall from one of your weblinks on here that you have met some nice Thais too but you wouldn't mention that on here as you're trying to sell your book.

2. You are off topic. Why not start a Thai Rant thread if you've really got to have a pop all the time. It's been done before of course and bored the pants off everyone, and the Far East forum pretty much ground to a halt, but go ahead anyway.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:48 am
Legless recluse

Originally Posted by katongkaren
1. Utter tosh. You have not met all Thais and I seem to recall from one of your weblinks on here that you have met some nice Thais too but you wouldn't mention that on here as you're trying to sell your book.

2. You are off topic. Why not start a Thai Rant thread if you've really got to have a pop all the time. It's been done before of course and bored the pants off everyone, and the Far East forum pretty much ground to a halt, but go ahead anyway.
The only good Thai that I have met here in the last 23 years, is one of the main characters in my book and she died two years ago, so why should I talk about it on here? You have already stated that I am off topic and yet I was only answering a question from TD about immigration here.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

myclifton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ex reg
Just a quick look at your photos and see one of the Crown Hotel and on the far side of it the Paradise .

We were at the Paradise a month or so ago and the Crown is being renovated.

Not sure when reno will be completed but will be interested to see what rate they charge as for us both it and the Paradise are perfectly situated for our stay.

In fact, many hotels here are taking advantage of recession which will result in lower occupancy rate, to undergo updgrading or facelift.

Just to clarify, those photos are not of mine and I just recommend those website links for you all to explore.

Last edited by myclifton; Mar 23rd 2009 at 2:01 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

SvampBob is an unknown quantity at this point

My last posting for a wile!
Just want to say despite some verbal confrontations from me
because personally I have zero tolerance for people who are
judgemental about other people. In real life I deal with it differently
and if some one wants to wrestle with 6,4 foot 125 kilos of
pure mussels. Its up to him!

All the deleted posts and the upset this have brought I'm partly
responsible for.... It comes with my nature and for me a new
experience in verbal fighting in the English languish.

Penang is a very good Island. There is nothing I can think of
that would be I my way not to move to Penang.
Go there for a visit... but Penang takes time to really appreciate!

Who knows... maby I see you all there!

I will come back and wright but for now... ADJÖ!

Take care
SvampBob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.