Korea (South!!)

Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:28 am
Just Joined

strinder84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Korea (South!!)

Hello all,

I'm Steve, new to BritishExapts.com as of yesterday. Anyone out there in South Korea?

I'm a newly-married, university English teacher who has lived in the country for almost 7 years on and off now, mostly in Busan. A long way away from those pesky North Koreans!

Anybody else on BE.com who lives here and wants to say hello or has any questions, feel free to contact me.

Take care,
Steve
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:20 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Korea (South!!)

Hi Steve. Just to say welcome to the forum. We have had one or two posters in Korea so, you never know, hopefully you'll get a response on here. 7 years quite a long time so I guess you must like it there
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Steve. Just to say welcome to the forum. We have had one or two posters in Korea so, you never know, hopefully you'll get a response on here. 7 years quite a long time so I guess you must like it there
Thank you very much!

Yes seven years is a long time, but Korea is a nice place, quite full-on at times but an exciting place to live. Not quite as nice as Penang though! We went there in summer 2011, such a lovely place. What do you do there if you don't mind me asking? We are actually looking for a new place to go and live in the near future and Penang would be right up there if there were any opportunities!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:41 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I do as little as possible.... I am retired

Seriously, there's quite a lot to do in Penang - not a place where you're likely to get bored.

I don't know what opportunities you would find here as a teacher. We get quite a few posters in the Malaysia section who have found jobs as teachers in Kuala Lumpur. That's all I know I'm afraid.

Anyways.... enjoy your life in Korea.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Oh I do as little as possible.... I am retired

Seriously, there's quite a lot to do in Penang - not a place where you're likely to get bored.

I don't know what opportunities you would find here as a teacher. We get quite a few posters in the Malaysia section who have found jobs as teachers in Kuala Lumpur. That's all I know I'm afraid.

Anyways.... enjoy your life in Korea.
Ah lovely, a great place to retire to! I must I really loved Georgetown (and the curries!!)

Anyway thanks for the advice and take care.
Old May 1st 2013, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

oddshapeballs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Fintan here,
Just talking to a company about a potential move to S.Korea.
They tell me there are expat tax perks at 5.5% local tax.
What does that mean in practice, if your out of the UK for 186days or what ever it is, do you really only pay 5.5% with no UK payments?
Old May 1st 2013, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

oddshapeballs is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry,
if you are out of the country....

English teachers in this forum you know,
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Hi Fintan,

Hmm...I'm not so sure on that one as I'm not strictly an expat in Korea. I pay my tax through the Korean system only as I'm employed through a Korean institution with no links to the UK. Sorry I can't help you. I'll ask a few friends then get back to you.

Steve