Job offer Ho Chi Minh

Old May 31st 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Job offer Ho Chi Minh

I have got a possible job offer in Ho chi Minh. I will be accompanied by my wife , we are well experienced expats, but new to this part of the world. My wife is used to being independent and (except in Saudi Arabia) has always had a car and driven herself.

1) how will she get around in Ho Chi Minh - I don't see her taking easy to a bicycle !
2) are there expat areas and how much should we budget for apartment rental.

Basically I have an allowance of $3000/month - how much do we need to add to that to cover accommodation/living and transport costs
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:31 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer Ho Chi Minh

Hi, not sure we have too many posters on here in HCM unfortunately. Hope someone comes along. If not, try doing a search in this little section... it might bring something up. all the best.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:16 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

1) Scooter, like everyone else... or taxis, I guess
2) District 2 in HCMC is the expat area. It's a little way out from District 1, the centre of the city, but the restaurants there are pretty good.

I'm not well up on costs but HCMC is an expensive city for real estate. I'd expect you'd be looking at US$2k per month for a decent apartment, at least US$3k for a house, but do a search. E.g. http://www.izproperty.com/
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:46 pm
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
I have got a possible job offer in Ho chi Minh. I will be accompanied by my wife , we are well experienced expats, but new to this part of the world. My wife is used to being independent and (except in Saudi Arabia) has always had a car and driven herself.

1) how will she get around in Ho Chi Minh - I don't see her taking easy to a bicycle !

Basically I have an allowance of $3000/month - how much do we need to add to that to cover accommodation/living and transport costs

You could also look for a place to live in District 7, I find it better than District 2, plenty of shops, bars, restaurants etc, its more Americanize, many Koreans living there, its also close to District 1.

Motorbike is really the only transport you really want to be using in Saigon, unless you have a job that supplies a driver.

Enjoy Vietnam, its the best S.E Asian country in my opinion
Old Dec 24th 2012, 7:35 am
Just Joined

punny is an unknown quantity at this point

you’re ready to for some serious fun - a trip on a motor cycle taxi (xe-om or moto for short). Whilst a few vice peddlers at the bottom of Dong Khoi give these chaps a bad reputation, and few speak much English, it’s the only way to see this town. Note that your moto driver will be getting a kickback from some places he’s recommending. He needs it to live, so if you get a good moto, tip well. If not, stop at the nearest corner and duck into a shop until he’s gone. 20,000 for short trips, 150,000 plus tip for a half-day. Taxis are also plentiful are less likely to try to get you into tourist fleecing dens
Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:03 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Punny and welcome to the forum. Are you based in HCM?
Old Dec 25th 2012, 12:43 am
Just Joined

punny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Punny and welcome to the forum. Are you based in HCM?
yeah that's right
Old Dec 25th 2012, 2:45 am

That's excellent. Great to have someone on here with some HCM knowledge.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 2:13 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by punny
20,000 for short trips,

Take the bus only 4'000
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:00 am
Just Joined

lopoc82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

My Husband has just received a job offer in Ho Chi Minh City and I really jut wanted to say HELLO and see if anybody can provide me with any hints and tips about moving from UK to HMC.

I've only ever lived in the UK and spent most of my life in Cornwall so this move will be a huge shock to my system, I can't wait!

Thanks for your time.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:59 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Well, just accepted a move from Bangkok to HCMC.

Already have a list of property in Dist 2 to have a look at and land in a weeks time..

Nothing to ask, yet, just saying Hi....
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

bubuchacha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lopoc82
Hi All

My Husband has just received a job offer in Ho Chi Minh City and I really jut wanted to say HELLO and see if anybody can provide me with any hints and tips about moving from UK to HMC.

I've only ever lived in the UK and spent most of my life in Cornwall so this move will be a huge shock to my system, I can't wait!

Thanks for your time.
HCMC is one of the most interesting area in Vietnam to experience. It is a multi-culture city of Vietnam in my view. That is to say cuisines, manners, etc are various and people are extroverts and extremely friendly.

One thing you need to know about HCMC is that this place is really noisy and crowded. BTW, the traffic is terrible, but if you live in district 7, you may not cope with congestion every single day (unless you would travel to city centre during peak hours)
Real estate in district 7 (especially in Phú Mỹ Hưng) is a pretty good choice in your case, but it's more expensive than other places.

Another thing i'd like to mention is the robbers. I mean you should be careful in order to avoid mugged when you are on the street (your mobile phone, camera,...) just in case... so don't worry... HCMC is a nice place anyway

Theseday there are a lot of foreign people live and work in HCMC so that might easier for you to adapt new surrounding .

Welcome to Vietnam everyone

Last edited by bubuchacha; Mar 16th 2013 at 8:23 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

lopoc82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thanks very much for the info.

I can wait to arrive
Old Jun 17th 2013, 6:48 am
Banned

jason.mantle1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt

Hi there.

It's useful to get around HCM by riding a scooter or a bike. It's the most efficient and common form of transport the locals use as well.

The roads and traffic in HCM can get pretty congested and chaotic especially during the peak hours, so be careful. There are bikes and scooters on walking pavements as well.

If you want to live near an expat community, Districts 2 and 7 are perfect. Accommodation and goods sold there are affordable as well, so don't worry too much about the prices of stuffs there.

Hope you have a memorable and great stay at HCM!