Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

I quit the UK for Malaysia and loving it

I quit the UK for Malaysia and loving it

Old Nov 25th 2004, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice
Default Re: I quit the UK for Malaysia and loving it

Originally Posted by Malcontent
Hi Shriver

Hope you don't mind but I saw your post and took the liberty of emailing each one on the list for details of any land they had for sale but didn't get a single reply.

Does this mean the end of our dream of buying land and building or did I just get the wrong estate agents. I seen to recall having had the wrong estate agents all my life. But that's another story.

Cheers

Malcontent
Just give them some time to reply. (It could be that these agencies concentrate on properties in KL and will need time to check out properties elsewhere). In the meantime you can check out the following websites:

www.propertylink.com.my
www.propmark.com
www.bernardrealty.com

Not to worry - lots of properties for sale. Compared to HK, Malaysia has lots of land. One more thing, the Malaysia Ringgit is pegged to the US dollar, and as you know dollar has been sliding day by day. Hence if you are earning in euro or GBP, because of fluctuation of the exchange rates, you'll find properety prices here much cheaper now than say a year ago.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice

This site should be useful for those who intend to visit / settle in Malaysia:

www.expat.com.my
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Malcontent
Hi Shriver

We are still very excited about our Christmas trip of two weeks touring round looking for a spot to build.

If any readers can suggest an expat/local haunt for a Christmas drink and a spot of comparing notes we are in KL 17 -19 then Damai Laut 20 -21 and Penang 22 -27 and Kuantan 28-31 Dec

Cheers

Malcontent
I guess that by now you would have completed your tour of Malaysia. For the benefit of other readers, could you tell us about your experience / findings in Malaysia.

I note that you were in Penang on Dec 26th, and hope that you not affected by the tsunami which hit parts of beach areas in Penang.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Malcontent is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your concern. We left the beach at Batu Ferringhi for a drive in the mountains about 20 minutes before the tsunami struck. We had felt the earthquake in our hotel on Penang (we were on the 9th floor) but apart from a lot of other people running out down 9 floors of stairs we had decided if it was going to fall we would do a Dennis Thatcher Brighton and stay in bed. All sounds very trite now but at the time it was just an earthquake except a bit bigger than the ones we have expereinced in the Phillippinnes. As we completed our drive and approached Penang in mid afternoon we started to hear the news on the car radio and then gradually reality overtook us.

We had attended Penangs St Georges Chruch on Christmas morning ánd I had been uncharacterstically generous in the collection and taken communion for the first time in five years so I guess Gosd was looking after us.

I first saw the Northern lights from a ship in Novemeber in the Far North Atlantic in 1958 in a very bad storm and decided that nature was powerful and 45 years later I have been reminded. A very humbling experience.

On a more prosaic not we failed completely to find any land or property to buy. No replies to emails and only one returned phone call. We drove round and fouind a few ourselves and met some very helpful owners of property who showed us round (Port Dickson etc but none at all in Kuantan and only one in Penang).

We may try Kuching in Easter.

Regards

Malcontent

Originally Posted by shriver9
I guess that by now you would have completed your tour of Malaysia. For the benefit of other readers, could you tell us about your experience / findings in Malaysia.

I note that you were in Penang on Dec 26th, and hope that you not affected by the tsunami which hit parts of beach areas in Penang.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Looper is an unknown quantity at this point

I donwloaded form Im. 12 from the government site
http://www.imi.gov.my/eng/Forms/im_forms.asp
Does anybody know if this is the same as form IMM12, which is the one to use for the MMSH application, as far as I know?
If not does anybody have a PDF copy of IMM12 they can email?
seanf90 @ hotmail
Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Looper
Does anybody know if this is the same as form IMM12, which is the one to use for the MMSH application, as far as I know?
seanf90 @ hotmail
Thanks
I suggest you call the Malaysian embassy there or write to the Immigration Public Relations Officer at [email protected]
Old Feb 19th 2005, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weigheyeman
Hi Mike,
Like you have already done, I am looking to buy a house and retire to KL from UK. My wife and I spent 7 happy years in Singapore some years ago and, having had several holidays in Malaysia, see KL as an affordable and attractive alternative to Singapore for retirement.
Do you know:
Can you buy a house before being accepted on the MMSH programme?
Can you recommend any estate agents in KL that I could use to get acquainted with what's available?
Any other comments that you have would be appreciated.

For those of you who are interested in 'Malaysia My Second Home' program,
you may find the following websites useful:

www.mm2h.com and www.expatkl.com
Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Fletch8 will become famous soon enoughFletch8 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: I quit the UK for Malaysia and loving it

seanf90 @ hotmail
Thanks
Hi New MM2h Applicant! Yes its the same form, when i down loaded it and submitted my MM2h application the girl at the immigration counter would not accept it, i had 2 but one from the counter opposite for MR1, this may have changed! We are seting up a "helpdesk" staffed by other second homers to help new applicants via the web site, best of all ITS FREE!! still uploading info but have alook see, will be ready late next month. www.mm2h.com

Any help needed in getting your tax & duty free car allowance contact me also at '[email protected] plus if u are importing your personal goods u will need to get an import permit too, we will advise what to do! Enjoy Malaysia, its a retirement paradise!

Chris "the Happy second Homer"
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Fletch8 will become famous soon enoughFletch8 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Downloading forms

seanf90 @ hotmail
Thanks
Just called the Immigration Dept Help desk out at Putra Jaya and confirmed with their senior man that all forms downloaded from their official web site and now acceptable and the counter staff will accept them! Should you have any problems ask to speak to MR. Mohd Yusof Bin Ibrahim, he is the head man out there and very helpful, remember, always smile and be friendly to their people as this will get you much further than pulling a face!