Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

I quit the UK for Malaysia and loving it

I quit the UK for Malaysia and loving it

Old Feb 24th 2003, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Mike_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool I quit the UK for Malaysia and loving it

I took early retirement last June and have sold my house in the UK and shipped all my possessions to Malaysia. It is a muslim country, but very moderate and is actively trying to attract foreigners to come and live here. The cost of living is half what it is in the UK, the weather is around 30c every day of the year and property is cheap (compared to the UK!).

I don't see much from other expats in this part of the world, but would like to exchange experiences with others in Malaysia or talk to anyone thinking of leaving the UK for the far east.
Old Feb 24th 2003, 5:58 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I quit the UK for Malaysia and loving it

Constitutionally Malaysia is not a Muslim country. It has a secular constitution, but due to the political climate in Malaysia, the prime minister has been forced to prove his Muslim credentials, and in doing so, he declared Malaysia a Muslim country although that declaration is more oral than written.

Have a nice stay in KL, or any other part of Malaysia. There's plenty of nice food for you to sample :-)

Cheers,
Peter

Originally posted by Mike_Martin
I took early retirement last June and have sold my house in the UK and shipped all my possessions to Malaysia. It is a muslim country, but very moderate and is actively trying to attract foreigners to come and live here. The cost of living is half what it is in the UK, the weather is around 30c every day of the year and property is cheap (compared to the UK!).

I don't see much from other expats in this part of the world, but would like to exchange experiences with others in Malaysia or talk to anyone thinking of leaving the UK for the far east.
Old Mar 4th 2003, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Mike,
If you say there are not many expats there, I gather you are not in KL, you must be on the outskirts somewhere.
I lived in KL for 3.5 years up until 2000 there are heaps of expats there. Enjoy your life there, I know I cerainly did.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: I quit the UK for Malaysia and loving it

Originally posted by suebo
Mike,
If you say there are not many expats there, I gather you are not in KL, you must be on the outskirts somewhere.
I lived in KL for 3.5 years up until 2000 there are heaps of expats there. Enjoy your life there, I know I cerainly did.
Hey suebo - thanks for the response. The wording of my note was not good. I meant that there aren't many posts on this message board from people in this part of the world! Yeah - there are heaps of expats in KL (although I am living in Cyberjaya, the new "Intelligent City", about 40Km south of KL).

If anyone out there is in Malaysia, would like to hear from them....
Old Mar 5th 2003, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Mike,
Have you thought about joining MANZA (Malaysian Australian New Zealand Association). THere are all different nationalities there, they are not prejudice as to what country you are from. This is their web address: http://www.manza.org/
There is a British group BWA, but you have to be a woman to join.
Old Mar 10th 2003, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Just out of being very nosey.... did you go alone as your message seems to suggest?????
Old Mar 10th 2003, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by jeannie
Just out of being very nosey.... did you go alone as your message seems to suggest?????
Nope, not alone - a long time family friend and mate also decided he'd had enough of the UK and agreed to throw his lot in too and go 50/50 on the new condo. We're having a whale of a time!
Old Mar 17th 2003, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

gwilo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mike,

I'm in Malaysia and have been for the past seven years, I'm working in Puchong not very far away from where you live...

I live in KL Ampang...

If you want to get in touch reply to my post or send me a private message, I'm originally from Telford in Shropshire and there is another expat from Telford working for our company, she lives a bit closer to you in Bukit Jalil...

Looking forward to your reply.
Old Mar 17th 2003, 10:23 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

I've been to KL (on stopovers) and think it's a great place. I am intrigued by your post...Do you require a special visa to live there?
Can you legally work there if you want?
Old Mar 18th 2003, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

gwilo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chippy
I've been to KL (on stopovers) and think it's a great place. I am intrigued by your post...Do you require a special visa to live there?
Can you legally work there if you want?
Hi Chippy, (Are you a carpenter by any chance??)

As far as I know, to legally work in Malaysia you require a work permit and that's not difficult to obtain if you have a job with a Malaysian based company. The work permit is issued for the job and the company that you work for in Malaysia it is not a work permit giving you permission to seek work in Malaysia.

As far as living here is concerned, that is living and not seeking work here I am not sure. To gain permanent residence status in Malaysia is not easy, at least that is what I have been told but as a Brit. Malaysia is pretty welcoming and they try to make things as easy as possible for us. Perhaps Mike could let you know a bit more about living and not working here. It's a great place, pretty cheap and nice and warm (or even hot) all year round...
Old Mar 27th 2003, 6:53 am
Just Joined

eniktin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gwilo
Hi Chippy, (Are you a carpenter by any chance??)

As far as I know, to legally work in Malaysia you require a work permit and that's not difficult to obtain if you have a job with a Malaysian based company. The work permit is issued for the job and the company that you work for in Malaysia it is not a work permit giving you permission to seek work in Malaysia.

As far as living here is concerned, that is living and not seeking work here I am not sure. To gain permanent residence status in Malaysia is not easy, at least that is what I have been told but as a Brit. Malaysia is pretty welcoming and they try to make things as easy as possible for us. Perhaps Mike could let you know a bit more about living and not working here. It's a great place, pretty cheap and nice and warm (or even hot) all year round...
Seems exciting the way you describe it. I have lived in Malaysia for a year and am coming back in April. I wrote a profile of KL herehttp://www.geocities.com/levichi/KualaLumpur.html

What I am thinking is to organize some kind of center for self improvement renaissance style, Should include public speaking, dating, type psychology, Epicurean and Stoic philosophy, art, standup comedy, poetry, fencing, boxing, chess, and what have you... At any rate, my thinking is this, if we are going to live there, let's not just be bystanders, let's become active in the synthesis of a new national culture, other than consumerism. If we had to sum it up in a phrase, it would be “creating something new�, in terms of lifestyle, in terms of culture, in terms of community. I am looking for people who aren’t afraid of change and risk, and getting their hands dirty. I hope it will be a popery of Malays, westerners, Arabs, Chinese, all united by the desire to reinvent the world they live in.

MIA Malaysian Intellectual Aristocrats

Mission: to form an intellectual elite, that will lay the groundwork for a unique cultural identity of Malaysia.

Code of MIA:

1.Get your hands dirty. Don’t be a tourist in life. Dreams are “empty� if you don’t try to bring them into reality.

2.Beauty is harmony and balance of all faculties: body and mind, emotion and logic, sense perception and intuition. Training only your socially useful function might make you rich, but it will not make you happy. Sacrifice some of your professional success to give attention to your weaker functions.

3.Religion is not to be interpreted literally. Holy books are subliminal contents similar to dreams and art. Interpreting them literally will always lead to destructive acts, for the language of dreams is prelogic, it is the language of associations and symbols.

4.Laws only exist to protect the wise from the innocent.

5.The world craves something new. Human condition is about synthesis, not consumption. You are dead until you tap into the joy of creativity, think of life as an art piece in progress and experiment.

6.The most effective instrument for change is humor.

7.The most effective instrument for happiness is friendship.

8.The greatest enemy of reason is pride.

9.Don’t go with the flow; don’t swim up the stream, swim where you want to get.

10. The world is an evil place because there are rightist fanatics, there are leftist fanatics, but the centrists choose to be passive bystanders. If people with moderate and reasonable beliefs had the fervor of the extremists, the world would be a heaven.

Eniktin

Last edited by eniktin; Mar 27th 2003 at 9:32 am.
Old Mar 27th 2003, 9:05 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by eniktin
Seems exciting the way you describe it. I have lived in Malaysia for a year and am coming back in April. I wrote a profile of KL herehttp://www.geocities.com/levichi/KualaLumpur.html

What I am thinking is to organize some kind of center for self improvement renaissance style, Should include public speaking, dating, type psychology, Epicurean and Stoic philosophy, art, standup comedy, poetry, fencing, boxing, chess, and what have you... At any rate, my thinking is this, if we are going to live there, let's not just be bystanders, let's become active in the synthesis of a new national culture, other than consumerism. If we had to sum it up in a phrase, it would be “creating something new�, in terms of lifestyle, in terms of culture, in terms of community. I am looking for people who aren’t afraid of change and risk, and getting their hands dirty. I hope it will be a popery of Malays, westerners, arabs, chinese, all united by the desire to reinvent the world they live in.

Eniktin
Inspirational ideas are difficult to realize...but hey, go for it.
I took a quick look at your goecities link whick I found interesting.(I'll go back later to read it properly).
Your writing is articulate, eloquent and persuasive...keep up the good work.
Old Mar 27th 2003, 9:36 am
Just Joined

eniktin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chippy
Inspirational ideas are difficult to realize...but hey, go for it.
I took a quick look at your goecities link whick I found interesting.(I'll go back later to read it properly).
Your writing is articulate, eloquent and persuasive...keep up the good work.
Thanks for the compliment Chippy.

Last edited by eniktin; Mar 27th 2003 at 9:43 am.
Old Apr 18th 2003, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Java Hammer is an unknown quantity at this point

I am another Mike from london but have spent over 20 plus yrs in Asia (past 16 in Jakarta in the insurance biz). Now here with fiancee who is working in KL. We live in Ampang as well - Sucasa Apts.

Now anybody keen on Tennis?

Mike
Old Sep 28th 2004, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

weigheyeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike_Martin

Hi Mike,
Like you have already done, I am looking to buy a house and retire to KL from UK. My wife and I spent 7 happy years in Singapore some years ago and, having had several holidays in Malaysia, see KL as an affordable and attractive alternative to Singapore for retirement.
Do you know:
Can you buy a house before being accepted on the MMSH programme?
Can you recommend any estate agents in KL that I could use to get acquainted with what's available?
Any other comments that you have would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.