Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

I need help to find job in tropical temperatures.

I need help to find job in tropical temperatures.

Old Dec 10th 2017, 8:29 am
Just Joined

clasship is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I need help to find job in tropical temperatures.

I know how expensive medical costs are in Thailand, in 2015 I had many, many arrhythmia's, not least because my ICD was faulty, it kept amplifying smaller arrhythmia's and I kept being de-fibbed, and on one horrific occasion the ICD kept de-fibbing me when it had brought me back, that I will never forget. I had so many ambulances to the Bangkok Samui hospital they did not charge me three of those times. Those in the know would say they find it hard to believe I was not charged, especially as that chain skin farangs alive with charges, but on my mum's grave that happened. I could honestly write a book on surviving heart attacks, strokes and arrhythmia's.

I still have a sense of (black) humour, on one occasion I was having my hair cut, I knew I was having an arrhythmia, I just had time to say 'hospital' to the Thai sitting next to me, then I became unconscious, stopped breathing and died. My Arrhythmia's are when the heart stops pumping, it just quivers, and with no organs especially the brain getting oxygen, you soon go unconscious, stop breathing and die. The Thai was a taxi driver, and I was rushed to Hospital and de-fibbed. At this point I must add the ICD only sees certain types of arrhythmia, in certain parts of the heart, it failed to see that one. after a couple of days, I returned to pay for my hair cut, and have it finished, I also tracked down the taxi driver and I gave him probably his biggest tip of his career. A month later I was back having my hair cut, I had an arrhythmia, this time I did not have enough time to say anything, but they knew the drill. Now I am not making this up, on the following month December 2015, I went back for my monthly haircut, only to be told in Thai what I took to be 'you can **** off, you keep dying, you bad for business etc. On 27th December the ICD battery had all but run out, I grabbed a flight to Heathrow, and as soon as I stepped off the aircraft into the corridor which was full of cold air, I had the usual Prizemetal attack caused by cold air, and went by ambulance to Hamersmith hospital. That's where I had the ablation surgery to my heart, and a brand new ICD. To date, I have not been de-fibbed again, so I'll now take my chances on medical expenses.

I would love to return with another retirement visa to Thailand, but being bereft of funds I can't do that. If I could find a job in the Canneries, or Cyprus, maybe that would be a good option, anything is better than living indoors here in the UK, however my preference is still Asia. I'm still hoping for an introduction, to be a driver, but the more I think about it, the better I would be if I was working for estate agents. So there we are, if anyone can make this happen, I would be extremely grateful.

Last edited by clasship; Dec 10th 2017 at 8:38 am. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 10th 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clasship
I know how expensive medical costs are in Thailand, in 2015 I had many, many arrhythmia's, not least because my ICD was faulty, it kept amplifying smaller arrhythmia's and I kept being de-fibbed, and on one horrific occasion the ICD kept de-fibbing me when it had brought me back, that I will never forget. I had so many ambulances to the Bangkok Samui hospital they did not charge me three of those times. Those in the know would say they find it hard to believe I was not charged, especially as that chain skin farangs alive with charges, but on my mum's grave that happened. I could honestly write a book on surviving heart attacks, strokes and arrhythmia's.

I still have a sense of (black) humour, on one occasion I was having my hair cut, I knew I was having an arrhythmia, I just had time to say 'hospital' to the Thai sitting next to me, then I became unconscious, stopped breathing and died. My Arrhythmia's are when the heart stops pumping, it just quivers, and with no organs especially the brain getting oxygen, you soon go unconscious, stop breathing and die. The Thai was a taxi driver, and I was rushed to Hospital and de-fibbed. At this point I must add the ICD only sees certain types of arrhythmia, in certain parts of the heart, it failed to see that one. after a couple of days, I returned to pay for my hair cut, and have it finished, I also tracked down the taxi driver and I gave him probably his biggest tip of his career. A month later I was back having my hair cut, I had an arrhythmia, this time I did not have enough time to say anything, but they knew the drill. Now I am not making this up, on the following month December 2015, I went back for my monthly haircut, only to be told in Thai what I took to be 'you can **** off, you keep dying, you bad for business etc. On 27th December the ICD battery had all but run out, I grabbed a flight to Heathrow, and as soon as I stepped off the aircraft into the corridor which was full of cold air, I had the usual Prizemetal attack caused by cold air, and went by ambulance to Hamersmith hospital. That's where I had the ablation surgery to my heart, and a brand new ICD. To date, I have not been de-fibbed again, so I'll now take my chances on medical expenses.

I would love to return with another retirement visa to Thailand, but being bereft of funds I can't do that. If I could find a job in the Canneries, or Cyprus, maybe that would be a good option, anything is better than living indoors here in the UK, however my preference is still Asia. I'm still hoping for an introduction, to be a driver, but the more I think about it, the better I would be if I was working for estate agents. So there we are, if anyone can make this happen, I would be extremely grateful.
Since you have lived in Thailand briefly I assume that you are aware of job reservation in Thailand. You would never get a work permit for a driver job. Do you speak Thai? Cost of living here is not what one can describe as cheap esp. not medical cost. For Americans it is in comparison. You can of course always sign up with a government hospital. Good doctors and care but no luxury rooms. Of course you can live cheaply out in the sticks but then there is the lack of hospital access.
You say you need to live in a tropical climate for better health but you seem to have had numerous hospital stays while in Thailand despite the tropical climate.
With no medical cover and limited funds Thailand would not be a good choice. You may want to look at India if you don't depend on getting a job.
Best of luck.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

I spent the winters of 2012 and 2013 in Thailand and full time since winter 2014, so I know a lot about Thailand. Sadly I don't speak Thai, I was never that great at languages so my Thai is a 'little bit'. I only returned to the UK in July as I ran out of funds as I had no income.

As explained I had many, many arrhythmia's in 2015, but thankfully in December 2015 I had an operation which fixed that problem, for now anyway. That said I have had many heart attacks since 2000, I just survived them, sometimes by the skin of my teeth, but I do suffer chronic heart failure. My biggest disability is Prizemetal angina, and that is caused in my case by breathing in cold air, that is what I want to deal with, and I never, ever suffered this when living in Tropical temperatures, thus why I posted my post.

The bottom line is I can live with my heart damaged, I can live with my stroke, I have those wherever I live, however I do not need to be disabled from Prizemetal angina as I am in the UK if I breath in warm air.

https://www.verywell.com/understandi...angina-1745820

In my case because the cold air is the cause, it can not be treated.

I could do a really good job working in property, I think that would suit me very well. I am aware in Thailand no farang can steel a Thai's job by driving. The Bangkok Samui hospital know me well on Samui, but I am not sure if they would consider employing me as I usually arrived on a trolley from arrhythmia's. That said, the ablation operation fix that problem.

It comes down to me still relying on a personal introduction, you can't say I am not persistent, if not tenacious, a good reason I could sell or rent property.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

I have a track record in selling, I was top sales agent for the year 1984/5, beating 800 other sales agents, I quickly went on to be an Area sales manager, Regional sales manager, and then the sales manager for 17 years. I taught sales, and I handled the marketing very successfully as well. I think I would do well in property, I was heavily involved in property as well.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

I want to make it clear, whilst I love Thailand, I would be happy in Hong Kong, having been there 10 times, attending the HK 7's a good 9 times. I love Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos and sure I would love to live in the Philippians.

So please, if you can help me reach my goal, please do. I would even go so far to say, subject to the job and terms, I would be happy to work for up to a month, on probation and work that first month without receiving wages.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 3:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Between health issues, age, lack of advanced qualifications, and lack of any foreign languages, I don't see a lot of room for all the OP's "requirements" to be met.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

I want to make it clear, whilst I love Thailand, I would be happy in Hong Kong, having been there 10 times, attending the HK 7's a good 9 times. I love Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos and sure I would love to live in the Philippians.

So please, if you can help me reach my goal, please do. I would even go so far to say, subject to the job and terms, I would be happy to work for up to a month, on probation and work that first month without receiving wages.
The issue is that you need a qualification a Thai or Hongkong Chinese or whatever country you pick cannot do. What work would you want to do in Bkk Samui Hospital? Plus your age is against you. Sounds cruel but this is reality esp. in Asia.
A friend of mine worked for a charity as fundraiser. She could speak Thai, knew loads of ppl in the expat biz community. She received local pay and could not live on her Thai salary of 15.000 THB. Could you?
I feel for you with your health issue but it is what it is.
Your prospects in Cambodia may be better re visa but not work wise. There is high unemployment and lots of jobless educated young ppl. Check out VSO website. There might just be something which will fit your skill? But forget about healthcare in Cambodia.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 8:28 am
Just Joined

I have recently just started looking on the VSO website, thank you for the suggestion anyway. As I initially stated, what would help me is someone who could help give me the opportunity to live in tropical temperatures, so maybe, just maybe someone will remember me, and give me that chance.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Northern Australia?
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your post, there are many countries that would be suitable. What I am asking for is an introduction to someone who may be able to offer me a way to live in tropical temperatures, paid work or voluntary work that allows me to live and and help others.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe
Maybe Northern Australia?

Doesn't have the skills to get an Aussie visa and is too old for a permanent resident visa in any case. He would need a job on the skills list and would need to be 45 or under (unless marrying an Australian citizen or PR). Even for a Spouse Visa the medical would be a hard one to get through.

Thank you for your post, there are many countries that would be suitable. What I am asking for is an introduction to someone who may be able to offer me a way to live in tropical temperatures, paid work or voluntary work that allows me to live and and help others.
Australia is out for you unless you can get an Aussie to marry you, I'm afraid. Like most countries you need to meet the requirements. For Aus, you would need a skill on the current lists, and need to be under 45. You would also need to pass a medical, and going by your posts here I will stick my neck out and say that is just not going to happen.

Most other countries will be out for similar reasons - as others have tried to explain. I doesn't matter if some kind soul takes pity on you and offers you a job.
For most countries you need a skill that is on their 'in demand' list, whatever form that is in. Even if there is a company that will sponsor you, that have to meet requirements too.
Many countries will ask you to pass a medical - like Australia does - and many will insist on you having medical insurance - and with your history that could be hard and expensive to find.

Its not as easy as meeting Mr X from the forum who says to his mate 'hey this guy is ok, I met him for a coffee last week' and so off you run to Mr X's friend who says 'come work for me' so you up sticks and move permanently, no need for cash, no looking back. Life ain't like that. Sorry to be blunt, but its the truth.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 9:20 am
Just Joined

I know it is not easy, but there are opportunities for me, that's why I put my post on this site, if you don't ask you don't get. I would think being attached to a charity organisation would over come some of the hurdles.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

I know it is not easy, but there are opportunities for me, that's why I put my post on this site, if you don't ask you don't get. I would think being attached to a charity organisation would over come some of the hurdles.
Sorry, but charity is business and they also have to comply with immigration rules. E.g. in Thailand you need a work permit to do charitable/volunteer work. And what do you want to live on if you would get a volunteer job? Volunteers don't get paid.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Sorry, but charity is business and they also have to comply with immigration rules. E.g. in Thailand you need a work permit to do charitable/volunteer work. And what do you want to live on if you would get a volunteer job? Volunteers don't get paid.
Exactly. A charity still has to abide by immigration rules for whatever country you would be working in.
For example,if a charity wants you to come to Australia and work for it, you would still need a skill - for instance, a chartered accountant might be able to be sponsored by a charity, but someone who just wantsto collect for them or drive for them would not be able to move. And you would still need to fit into the right age group, and pass the medical.

For Thailand it sounds like you wouldn't need to pass a medical but you would need expensive medical insurance - even if you managed to get work in a hospital they could not keep treating you for free. And whatever job you got, they would need to prove a Thai could not do it.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Australia was not on my list. Since my ablation surgery in 2015 I have not suffered arrhythmia's and not been de-fibbed, so I am not worried about my medical bill s as much as some might think. We all will die at some point, and I don't care if that is in the cold UK or Asia. What I do care about is not being imprisoned inside because of the cold air when I would be living a near normal life breathing in warm air whilst I await that day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.