Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

How helpful do you find the British Embassy ?

How helpful do you find the British Embassy ?

Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:14 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default How helpful do you find the British Embassy ?

There was another thread recently where the British Embassy came up . So I was wondering how all the forum members find the embassy . Personally I find the service they provide to be very expensive ( passports ) compared to other countries . The opening hours aren't that great . The one in Bangkok was difficult to get into as they always wanted you to do everything online or call a number in the UK at great expense . Sometimes it's just nice to talk to someone face to face .
I don't think they're that great at helping British citizens either when something bad happens . Their failings after the tsunami were well-exposed . I always seem to get the impression that they're more concerned with promoting UK PLC and taking money off the locals for visa applications .

Discuss ( in a friendly way )
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:18 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How helpful do you find the British Embassy ?

No embassy here I'm afraid. There's a guy in Penang who is an Honorary something or other (cannot remember exact title) but I had contact with him when I was renewing my passport and he seemed helpful enough.

I know there's a British Consulate in Kuala Lumpur. I've had no dealings with them so far, but a friend has and he said he found them very helpful.

Passports... Yes expensive now aren't they , but what can you do.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

I find embassies in general to be of limited value, but OK. For passports, general advice etc. they are fine. It also depends on the officer you encounter so if you are lucky, you get a better one.

Cheers.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a matter of money. The budget for consular services is tiny and is frankly it's not seen as a priority for the FCO, at least the mundane stuff and services for the long term expats. HMG isn't willing to spend money on people who don't pay UK taxes and probably don't vote either. A very senior civil servant told me, quote, "If you want to live abroad long term, you should become a citizen of that country and let them look after you".
Old Jun 17th 2013, 2:12 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we are able to vote, are we? Isn't there some limit like 5 years or something?

That's a bit of a stupid remark from the civil servant IMO. You cannot just become a citizen of another country...how ridiculous.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 2:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I don't think we are able to vote, are we? Isn't there some limit like 5 years or something?

That's a bit of a stupid remark from the civil servant IMO. You cannot just become a citizen of another country...how ridiculous.
The limit is 15 years, but the numbers who actually vote are comparatively low.

As for naturalisation, it obviously depends in which country you are residing, but yes, it's obviously doesn't apply to many countries around the world no matter how long you live there. I just thought it was a particularly callous remark considering his job was to care for Britons overseas, not get rid of them.

If that's the attitude at the top of the managerial pole, it probably goes quite a way to explain why Britain's consular services are distinctively un-customer friendly compared to most other developed countries.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:55 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

True about the voting , personally I've not voted since 97 when Tony Blair came in to power . His reign as PM put me off voting for life !!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis

If that's the attitude at the top of the managerial pole, it probably goes quite a way to explain why Britain's consular services are distinctively un-customer friendly compared to most other developed countries.

Yes it's somewhat disturbing. I suppose you don't wish to say which country this plonker was based in? Be quite interesting.

I've been living on legit visas for the last 8 years, and now on a Long Term Social Visit Pass (or permanent tourist )
I think a lot of us do this, don't we. No chance of being a citizen of another country.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 6:53 pm

Yes it's somewhat disturbing. I suppose you don't wish to say which country this plonker was based in? Be quite interesting.

I've been living on legit visas for the last 8 years, and now on a Long Term Social Visit Pass (or permanent tourist )
I think a lot of us do this, don't we. No chance of being a citizen of another country.
He was based at the Foreign Office in London.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 3:24 am

Thanks. Probably not set foot outside ol' Blighty eh.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 7:04 am

I looked into becoming Thai which a foreigner can do although it's a lengthy drawn out process . But seeing how we've left now anyway there was no point starting it all . Will probably go down that route when I'm moving back there in retirement though purely for the healthcare .
Unless you have some kind of connection through marriage ( or extreme wealth ) then yeah , most people do not have the option to become a citizen of their adopted country .
It would be interesting if someone could come up with a list of places where you could though.