Reload this Page >

HOW DO YOU QUIT LONDON?

HOW DO YOU QUIT LONDON?

Old Feb 2nd 2012, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

zeeshm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HOW DO YOU QUIT LONDON?

How do I quit the rat race in London?

I'm a trained accountant 30 years old and can't stand my job in Canary Wharf (work in investment banking). I make good money, probably 2-3 times the national average. My company is global, but due to cost cutting unlikely to get a transfer out to Asia.

I'm keen to get out to Malaysia or Singapore and have a few contacts in recruitment out there. i have contacted them but because of chinese new year everything seems very slow. Either that or I have specific niche skill set.

I haven't got a clue on where to start. Everyone keeps saying go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi, but in all honesty I can't speak fluent arabic and im not a big fan of the cost of living out there.

Any pointers or where to start? I have a young baby and a wife.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:01 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOW DO YOU QUIT LONDON?

take some time out for a while and have a look around and see what suits you. Don't burn your bridges with your job. Take a long holiday if you can. Make sure you are financiallly secure before you do anything rash.

but there is more to life than money.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zeeshm
How do I quit the rat race in London?

I'm a trained accountant 30 years old and can't stand my job in Canary Wharf (work in investment banking). I make good money, probably 2-3 times the national average. My company is global, but due to cost cutting unlikely to get a transfer out to Asia.

I'm keen to get out to Malaysia or Singapore and have a few contacts in recruitment out there. i have contacted them but because of chinese new year everything seems very slow. Either that or I have specific niche skill set.

I haven't got a clue on where to start. Everyone keeps saying go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi, but in all honesty I can't speak fluent arabic and im not a big fan of the cost of living out there.

Any pointers or where to start? I have a young baby and a wife.
Hi zeeshm,

Welcome to my boat. I was in the same mood a few months ago. And after long and hard discussion with the missus we decided to drop everything here and start a new life in Malaysia and Singapore.

I must say its not easy but we on the track. We not high flyer in London but all the weather malaki and high living standard.

First thing first JOB! You need to secure a job before you set off, unless you are loaded. Normally your new employer will apply a work visa for you under in principle approval.

Once everything secure time to sell your stuff on Ebay, well except the property .

Its gonna be a great transformation for our life. The most I look forward to is visiting all the Asia countries. My first destination is definitely Pulau Tiamon, Malaysia. Probably spend a weekend there rather than Southend (no offence to Southend resident).

I do hope you make it. I'm so exciting!!! Can wait!!!

Last edited by Harlow Lad; Feb 8th 2012 at 1:00 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Foxilady is an unknown quantity at this point

For what its worth zee, my son who is 32 and works in the city also found himself in the very same dilemma. I wanted to advice him of the same thing i did at
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

Foxilady is an unknown quantity at this point

ooops - i did at 25 which was move to USA. I do not regret it as I loved my 7 years in California but I realise my son is very different to me and not as adventurous and reckless as I was. I therefore said pop along to the doctor and try and get 2 months off sick with stress. He did and realises now he doesn't want to leave the country, just his particular job. He has decided not to return to work and instead look at contracting work in the IT industry. He is much happier to have taken that time out and made a decision. I think as you have a family also, you should discuss it with wifey and both make a decision together yes?
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Ha, I've just written a long long post in reply and then I've seen the OP posted 4 months ago and hasn't posted since so I now won't bother.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:16 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

it's annoying when that happens , those pearls of wisdom . I did one the other day and thought to myself was it worth it because all you get back anyway is " thanks mate " !

Let 'em find out the hard way !