British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Far East and Asia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/far-east-asia-59/)
-   -   Help with Taiwanese Inheritance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/far-east-asia-59/help-taiwanese-inheritance-931101/)

Hydreliox Feb 14th 2020 12:14 pm

Help with Taiwanese Inheritance

A complicated one.

We currently reside in the UK. Recently my Taiwanese wife's estranged mother passed away. As it currently stands the estate is set to be inherited by herself, her brother and her father (also estranged).

According to her brother the father has stamped a document to give up his right to inheritance. It is our understanding that this would leave a 50/50 split between her and her brother. For this document to be complete/binding it also requires my wife and her brothers chop/signature also. As my wife's brother has been so far dealing with this the document currently sits with his - well, I'm not sure of the correct term but for sake of argument a legal professional that is not a solicitor/lawyer. My wife has been thinking of providing power of attorney to her solicitor in Taiwan to act on her behalf as she would like to receive the inheritance. Her brother is being very cloak and dagger about the whole situation.

There is currently a property, whereby the mortgage has been complete and paid, a bank account with a nominal amount, a bank account with an unknown account and any potential life insurance policy. My wife's brother would like her to put her chop on the waiver for the inheritance and apparently he will deal with everything (yeah right). Unfortunately he is proving not to be very trustworthy. Of course it is getting to the point where he is getting angry with my wife when she is trying to deal with things through her solicitor and as what our side sees to be the correct and legal way. He has also offered to buy her out of her side of the estate BUT although we may be interested in accepting this without knowing the full value of the estate it would be potentially financially damaging to her to do so.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to proceed moving forwards. My wife would like to avoid going back to Taiwan if possible for various reasons.

Cheers

Hydreliox Feb 14th 2020 12:28 pm

Re: Help with Taiwanese Inheritance

Also, does she have any legal right to access the document her father has chopped/signed as her brother is currently withholding or not allowing access to?

SushiFan Feb 15th 2020 7:54 am

Re: Help with Taiwanese Inheritance

Originally Posted by Hydreliox (Post 12806571)
My wife would like to avoid going back to Taiwan if possible for various reasons.

Would you be able to go there, on her behalf? It sounds like that the inheritance is large enough that it compensates for travel costs and related expenses.