Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone lived in Brunei?

Has anyone lived in Brunei?

Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone lived in Brunei?

This sounds really daft, but my hubby maybe being posted to Brunei and i dont know where it is or what living there is like. It will be for 18 months to 2 years.
Any info appreciated
Mandy
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone lived in Brunei?

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
This sounds really daft, but my hubby maybe being posted to Brunei and i dont know where it is or what living there is like. It will be for 18 months to 2 years.
Any info appreciated
Mandy
Me, I've lived there. But I'm afraid I'm absolutely no use because I only lived there from birth to nine months old, when my parents came back to England.

It's very very humid, and it rains every day at the same time (afternoon). Beyond that, I'm no help, sorry

My father was a teacher there, and he actually taught the present Sultan of Brunei. Another teacher at the same school was the bloke who wrote A Clockwork Orange. My Dad had no idea where Brunei was either, when he accepted the job. Most people haven't heard of it. It said "Brunel" on my driving licence for years.

Hope you get someone who's been there more recently who can help.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinnabar
Me, I've lived there. But I'm afraid I'm absolutely no use because I only lived there from birth to nine months old, when my parents came back to England.

It's very very humid, and it rains every day at the same time (afternoon). Beyond that, I'm no help, sorry

My father was a teacher there, and he actually taught the present Sultan of Brunei. Another teacher at the same school was the bloke who wrote A Clockwork Orange. My Dad had no idea where Brunei was either, when he accepted the job. Most people haven't heard of it. It said "Brunel" on my driving licence for years.

Hope you get someone who's been there more recently who can help.
thank you for a little info you were able to give me
Mandy
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:02 pm
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

I too was born there and only lived there for a year before moving to Sarawak! I was going to go there for a few days last year and the best advise I was given was - bring a book!
My parents loved it while we were there- great beaches and sailing and you're close to Kinabalu and the outdoors. Miri and Bander Seri Bagawan.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:47 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I loved being in Brunei!! My uncle moved there from Trinidad in his early 20's and was there forever, had a very prosperous business, and our good family friends were there working for Royal Brunei Airlines for many years.

As a child out there it was great! I remember the country clubs with pools, riding in speedboats through the rivers with bats hanging in the trees etc..

my mum used to go on something called "the Hash" a kind of jungle walk or something. From their experience I would say its a good expats life - dry country obviously but you can find booze if you try! bit limited in certain areas but not that different from living in many parts of the middle east.

go with open eyes, do your 2 years and have as much fun as you can. throw yourself into the social side - many expats - and it'll go fast.

have fun!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
Oh I loved being in Brunei!! My uncle moved there from Trinidad in his early 20's and was there forever, had a very prosperous business, and our good family friends were there working for Royal Brunei Airlines for many years.

As a child out there it was great! I remember the country clubs with pools, riding in speedboats through the rivers with bats hanging in the trees etc..

my mum used to go on something called "the Hash" a kind of jungle walk or something. From their experience I would say its a good expats life - dry country obviously but you can find booze if you try! bit limited in certain areas but not that different from living in many parts of the middle east.

go with open eyes, do your 2 years and have as much fun as you can. throw yourself into the social side - many expats - and it'll go fast.

have fun!
I lived and worked there for a year or so about 24 years ago in Kuala Belait in the south.
Enjoyed it but was really working hard.

The Penaga Club in Kuala Belait run by Shell IIRC was about the only place for wife and kids.
But was good fun especially if you played rugby.

Could take a trip over very rough roads to and a ferry to Miri which was fun if you like that type of off road driving.

The Hash, Hash House Harriers, originally started in Kuala Lumpur but now worldwide, is a means of meeting people and exercising and having a few drinks after.
Quite a big thing in Brunei.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks guys for the info, hubby hasn't heard any more about this potential posting, but if he does get it, we will just go with the flow.
Mandy
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:20 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=ex reg]I lived and worked there for a year or so about 24 years ago in Kuala Belait in the south.
QUOTE]

yep - we were there in 1980! up at Bandar SB
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:10 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
........The Penaga Club in Kuala Belait run by Shell IIRC......
My first home away from home! I have pictures of me sitting next to the paddling pool ith a Nutty Buddy dribbling down my chin! (Sounds a lot less innocent when I see it written down!).
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Wayne270 is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in KB/Seria for 2 and half years leaving in July 04. I was out there with the British army but we shared a lot of the Shellies facilities.
Don't expect miracles - it is a tolerant Muslim country and you have to keep that in mind. I really enjoyed my time out there and so did the better half and the children. Lovely beaches - you just can't swim in the sea. Careful where you drink your beer and eat your food. No Tesco/Sainsbury's just Supa Save and Soon Lee. Only Supa Save sells non halal (unclean/pork) products.
Great place to see other parts of the far east, quick trip to Miri (hours drive over a bridge now) for the reality check in a nice cheap hotel with reliable cheap babysitters.
I know it is an army website but this link will give you a lot of info.
http://www.army.mod.uk/brunei/index.htm
Any questions and I'll try to answer them but in short - great fun but be aware of the shortfalls.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wayne270
I lived in KB/Seria for 2 and half years leaving in July 04. I was out there with the British army but we shared a lot of the Shellies facilities.
Don't expect miracles - it is a tolerant Muslim country and you have to keep that in mind. I really enjoyed my time out there and so did the better half and the children. Lovely beaches - you just can't swim in the sea. Careful where you drink your beer and eat your food. No Tesco/Sainsbury's just Supa Save and Soon Lee. Only Supa Save sells non halal (unclean/pork) products.
Great place to see other parts of the far east, quick trip to Miri (hours drive over a bridge now) for the reality check in a nice cheap hotel with reliable cheap babysitters.
I know it is an army website but this link will give you a lot of info.
http://www.army.mod.uk/brunei/index.htm
Any questions and I'll try to answer them but in short - great fun but be aware of the shortfalls.

thank you so much, just the info i need. Your a pal
Mandy
Old Aug 12th 2006, 3:42 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom

my mum used to go on something called "the Hash" a kind of jungle walk or something. !

You still believe this shite... . She was in the Bob Marley fan club I bet.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:28 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

thank you so much, just the info i need. Your a pal
Mandy
Mandy - yes, I'm living there at the moment but it is an extremely small country and any answers I can give might easily pinpoint who I am in real life and censorship here is big and writing a public blog can land you a serious prison sentence if you are local or being chucked out of the country if you're not local so I would prefer to keep Q&As to PMs.
(or not... *sigh* )
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

bucklt is just really nicebucklt is just really nicebucklt is just really nicebucklt is just really nicebucklt is just really nicebucklt is just really nicebucklt is just really nicebucklt is just really nicebucklt is just really nicebucklt is just really nicebucklt is just really nice

Any info appreciated
Mandy
Yes - and loved it!
Worked there in the 80's with their MOD at Berakas Camp.
Quiet - safe - laid back etc.

Went back 9 months ago to Brunei/Miri/Kuching, looking for work, but the ex-pat scene has changed a lot since those days.
Any job offers going

Advice:
Use Brunei as a 'base' to explore rest of Borneo/SE Asia/OZ/NZ etc.
Consider migration to OZ/NZ whilst you are there?
Odds are: you will never live in this region of the world again.

Take advantage of airline 'weekend special deals' to other destinations.

Great place for outdoor activities!
Avoid swimming in sea and stick to swimming pools. Have literally come across crocs/snakes/rock fish (one zapped me)/jelly fish - whilst in water.
Always wear footwear whilst on beach.
Go easy on the sun (tan etc).
Have 1st aid pack with you - and learn to use it for stings/cuts/burns etc
note: above may sound 'negative', but if you have kids, you will appreciate my mentioning them. equally so, if you take up boating and go off to the islands at weekends.

Join the HASH (ladies and gents each have their own). Check their websites!

Avoid 'negative' (doom & gloom) ex-pats!

Learn the basics of the Malaya language.

Get into a 'routine' at weekends and always have something planned for the next day/weekend/month etc.

Don't drift!

Invite friends/loved ones to Brunei. Ensure they can tolerate the heat!

Vast amount of additional info available if you are 'forces' - contact me direct if you wish.

Camera...camera....camera....so much out there to see, capture and share.

Set up web-cam link to your loved ones back home.
Learn to do it before you go.

Could go on ....and on..... and on ......and

Enjoy yourselves - I certainly did!

Bucklt
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

claugrac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I am venezuelan living in trinidad a British Island, my husband is from here and we are looking for a possibility to move to Brunei for a Job Proposal for 2 years, we have 2 Children a 5 years old boy and 9 moths old girl, I am concerning besides the living out there also the schools and places to take my children for distraction, here are lovely the beaches to swim or play is a pity that can't be possible over there. I need to know as much as possible about the live out there before we say yes. I'll appreciate any help. thanks

Sincerely

Claudia

Last edited by claugrac; Aug 3rd 2007 at 3:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.