British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Far East and Asia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/far-east-asia-59/)
-   -   Financial tsunami about to hit asia !! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/far-east-asia-59/financial-tsunami-about-hit-asia-596585/)

Sherpa Mar 10th 2009 10:12 am

Financial tsunami about to hit asia !!

Is this true or just more media bollox ?

:curse:

katongkaren Mar 11th 2009 6:45 am

Re: Financial tsunami about to hit asia !!

Can you post a link, Sherpa?

I'm not sure what this means. Asia is already affected by the world recession.

Sherpa Mar 11th 2009 7:15 am

Originally Posted by katongkaren (Post 7366341)
Can you post a link, Sherpa?

I'm not sure what this means. Asia is already affected by the world recession.

katongkaren this is another line the media are using for the coming effects of the global crisis which they claim hasnt really hit asia yet the worse is yet to come :confused: there is no link .

Kooky. Mar 11th 2009 7:32 am

There will be no recession in Singapore. The Old Boy simply won't allow it. :sneaky:

In all seriousness, I know quite a few expats who have had their marching orders - one of whom had been with the same company about 13 years. Nowhere can be immune, surely?

Sherpa Mar 11th 2009 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 7366496)
There will be no recession in Singapore. The Old Boy simply won't allow it. :sneaky:

In all seriousness, I know quite a few expats who have had their marching orders - one of whom had been with the same company about 13 years. Nowhere can be immune, surely?

China is the key to the recovery once they start growing again then the rest of the world will follow so buy " Made In China " and we will all have a job :eek:

katongkaren Mar 11th 2009 7:50 am

But isn't China reliant on USA buying their goods? So I guess we all have to look towards US don't we - unless China can start selling goods big time elsewhere.

Sherpa Mar 11th 2009 8:08 am

Originally Posted by katongkaren (Post 7366558)
But isn't China reliant on USA buying their goods? So I guess we all have to look towards US don't we - unless China can start selling goods big time elsewhere.

katongkaren yes the US is the consumer that the world needs but china is the supplier of the cheap ( mostly rubbish ) goods stuff that we cant produce as cheaply ( china a nation of slave camps ) so when production picks up in china then you will know that the rest of the developed world ( the consumers ) are back in business :thumbsup:

John0956 Mar 18th 2009 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sherpa (Post 7366608)
katongkaren yes the US is the consumer that the world needs but china is the supplier of the cheap ( mostly rubbish ) goods stuff that we cant produce as cheaply ( china a nation of slave camps ) so when production picks up in china then you will know that the rest of the developed world ( the consumers ) are back in business :thumbsup:

I am not an economist but you dont need to be. You are right that when Chinese production expands we are coming out of the recession. Supply follows demand so the first sign will be a pick up in demand. All production begins with an order. The US sucks in more than 25% of the worlds exports. It is a demand giant among demand dwarfs. So we should all watch US orders picking up. The Fed chairman Bernanke will yell from the rooftops when this happens.
I question that China is a producer of "mainly" cheap goods. I think thats long behind them. My computer was not cheap, the medical equipment they produce is top quality and Airbus now builds aircraft to European standards in Tianjin. China builds jet fighters complete with home produced radars and electronics. They put a satellite in space and have nuclear weapons. Their contracters build dams, railways, harbours and airfields throughout the 3rd world. This is sophisticated stuff and far from cheap.

katongkaren Mar 19th 2009 3:55 am

Totally agree with that John. My PC wasn't cheap either and works very well (touch bamboo). Of course, a lot of the press in other countries paint a very different picture about China for their own reasons.

Sherpa Mar 19th 2009 4:53 am

Originally Posted by katongkaren (Post 7396232)
Totally agree with that John. My PC wasn't cheap either and works very well (touch bamboo). Of course, a lot of the press in other countries paint a very different picture about China for their own reasons.

In many ways the world has gone forward in technology but has been going in reverse when it comes to quality , Example i used to love wearing doc boots made in england i would wear them until they dropped off usually 5yrs now the same pair of boot im lucky to get 1.5yrs of comfort before i trash them (made in china) but lets not kid ourselves the whole world economy rely on return service so its no good making boots that last for 5yrs when they could have sold 3pairs in 5yrs rather than 1 so think about it its not rocket science :)
China will make the whole world cry and the longer this downturn continues the further resource prices will fall long enough for the chinese to build a solid holding in world resources so they can dominate the prices theyve done it with cotton for years now so there is more to this than meets the eye .:sneaky:

Sherpa Mar 19th 2009 5:00 am

Originally Posted by John0956 (Post 7393410)
I am not an economist but you dont need to be. You are right that when Chinese production expands we are coming out of the recession. Supply follows demand so the first sign will be a pick up in demand. All production begins with an order. The US sucks in more than 25% of the worlds exports. It is a demand giant among demand dwarfs. So we should all watch US orders picking up. The Fed chairman Bernanke will yell from the rooftops when this happens.
I question that China is a producer of "mainly" cheap goods. I think thats long behind them. My computer was not cheap, the medical equipment they produce is top quality and Airbus now builds aircraft to European standards in Tianjin. China builds jet fighters complete with home produced radars and electronics. They put a satellite in space and have nuclear weapons. Their contracters build dams, railways, harbours and airfields throughout the 3rd world. This is sophisticated stuff and far from cheap.

i noticed that you are in cyprus john any where near paralimni ?

John0956 Mar 19th 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Sherpa (Post 7396374)
i noticed that you are in cyprus john any where near paralimni ?

No other end in Paphos

Sherpa Mar 19th 2009 7:44 am

Originally Posted by John0956 (Post 7396566)
No other end in Paphos

i got a place in paralimni near atia napa :thumbsup: