Expat Car Insurance

Old Dec 9th 2014, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Knightrunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat Car Insurance

Hi all,

I'm considering making Singapore my next expat location after a couple of years stint in Spain.

I'm determined to plan things a lot better this time around. One of these things is having access to a UK car when I come back. When I went to Spain I sold my car but found it really frustrating when I came back to the UK to see family and friends that I had no means of transport.

Does anyone have any experience of getting car insurance for your UK car to make it legally 'useable' when you return home?

This company offers some good information and stuff: Useful Expat Information :: Keith Michaels Insurance PLC but I'm not really sure where to start.

How do they look to you guys? Is there anything I should particularly think about being wary of?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:52 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Car Insurance

Hi. Did you want this topic in the Singapore section ? I can shift it, if you wish.

What sort of visa do you plan on getting for Singapore?
Old Jan 10th 2015, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Car Insurance

Originally Posted by bakedbean
What sort of visa do you plan on getting for Singapore?
Yes, that's the first question that needs an answer.

As for the car to have for use when in the UK, most expats working in Singapore would usually only visit the UK for short periods once or twice a year. In those circumstances it is surely preferable to hire a car when in the UK rather than owning one.

For one thing, I would think most insurers would expect the insured to be a UK resident.